To think that most of the time AIBU posts are just wanting confirmation and not really checking reasonableness?

(20 Posts)
Ghostie Sat 09-Feb-13 17:17:29

Confirm or deny? wink

nefertarii Sat 09-Feb-13 17:27:52

Yanbu. Some people just want everyone to agree. Pisses me tbh. If you are convinced you ate being reasonable why post?

But the best one has to be the posters who believe everyone thinks they are bu because they haven't understood properly.

HollyBerryBush Sat 09-Feb-13 17:34:15

I said the same the otehr night.

90% of threads are righteous indignation where people want affirmation their unreasonable beahviour is quite within boundaries.

BellaVita Sat 09-Feb-13 17:35:44

Absolutely a confirm!

BabyRoger Sat 09-Feb-13 17:36:35

Confirm. YANBU.

Geekster Sat 09-Feb-13 17:37:04

Confirm. But must admit I am one of the guilty ones.

KellyElly Sat 09-Feb-13 17:37:11

Well people generally think they are right so in the first instance they post then they are probably hoping for confirmation. Depending on the response some people are prepared are prepared to accept they are and others aren't. I think people are less likely to when they are attacked and then just go on the defensive and flounce smile

ilovesooty Sat 09-Feb-13 18:21:40

Some people really want to know and reflect on differing views and a range of feedback. Some just throw a toddler strop making me wonder why they asked in the first place.

HecateWhoopass Sat 09-Feb-13 18:25:31

Actually, most of the time they aren't even asking anything at all.

AIBU is the new chat.

They just want to chat but put it in the form of a question.

But yes, of those left over, 99% are totally convinced of their reasonableness and simply want agreement.

As evidenced by the sheer number who ask if they are unreasonable and when told yes, you are a bit, go apeshit.

JammyDodger1 Sat 09-Feb-13 18:31:13

HecateI totally agree, it's all gone topsy turvy as I think chat is the new AIBU

when I first joined I only ever dare AIBU on a rare occasion after wine
but now I am here more and more!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sat 09-Feb-13 18:31:26

YANBU.

Booyhoo Sat 09-Feb-13 18:36:11

i agree hec

why do people do that? posting threads that are really and obviously not an AIBU at all?

Ghostie Sat 09-Feb-13 18:43:36

Geekster I too think I have been guilty in the past top blush although never brave enough to chuck the old toys out of the pram! But that's my general feeling it can be a bit of a rant and at times just a bit self righteous?

Geekster Sat 09-Feb-13 19:01:21

It can be as you have described at times Ghostie and once again I'm guilty of what you have said, apart from throwing my toys out of the pram, if I didn't expect some comments telling me I had been the opposite of what I have asked then there wouldn't be much point in posting.

JammyDodger1 Sat 09-Feb-13 19:05:13

And I also think that if people are reading MN on a phone they go for
"active conversations" and AIBU is fast moving with catchy headings.

VinegarDrinker Sat 09-Feb-13 19:07:42

Or they are just shit stirring

Andro Sat 09-Feb-13 19:08:02

It can be, but it can also be that a situation that has an 'obvious' correct response has become distorted in the mind of the poster and the reality check of AIBU acts as a refocus to clear the fog.

Alittlestranger Sat 09-Feb-13 20:52:58

YABU. It's a forum, no one is here looking for a legally binding judgement.

yaimee Sun 10-Feb-13 01:09:19

I read recently a terrible sexist piece of advice... Women do not want to hear what you think, women want to hear what they think in a deeper voice and I couldn't agree more
I think the same applies to a lot of aibu!

AViewfromtheFridge Sun 10-Feb-13 01:14:08

I think AIBU has more traffic, so people phrase their question as an AIBU to get more responses - as you have done, actually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now