to gloat?

(20 Posts)
TheMagicMumber Sat 09-Feb-13 15:01:22

We moved into this house (rented) 6 months ago. When we first moved in, I got a bit freaked out, noticing a light coming through the spotlight in DD's room, when the light was off. DH absolutely adamant that it was light reflecting from the room (despite it being pitch black).

I was in there earlier, and thinking about the light thing, and asked DH if the landlord, who had inspected recently, seemed more interested in that room (had all kinds of drug-growing conspiracy suspicions up my sleeve).

DH thinks I'm being an idiot. He tells me all this nonsense about that kind of light fitting being designed to absorb lights in the day and shine at night - despite only 1 of the 4 in the room doing this. He then told me about light pollution shining up through the top of the curtains/blackout blinds and onto this one particular light...

I disagreed. We had a bit of a light-hearted argument about it, when he decided to open the loft hatch and show me that there was no bloody light.

Of course, there was.

Odd thing is, there is no switch to turn it off anywhere...

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Feb-13 15:04:09

That is a bit odd there's no switch, and you have to pay for the leccy presumably?

TheMagicMumber Sat 09-Feb-13 15:06:24

Yup, we have to pay. Really weird. DH nor I keen on actually going up and in to investigate, might ring agent.

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Feb-13 15:10:54

That'd mean sleeping there not knowing what freakery was going off in the loft though wouldn't it?

grin

Could just be a faulty light?

TheMagicMumber Sat 09-Feb-13 15:23:07

Well, we've coped with it well I have, DH refused to believe me for 6 months, I think another few days will be OK. Really bloody odd though.

Skinnywhippet Sat 09-Feb-13 19:54:42

Ask where the loft light switch is. There must be one.

WMittens Sat 09-Feb-13 20:31:22

Take the lamp out - light no longer on.

WorraLiberty Sat 09-Feb-13 21:05:29

Are you sure it's not wired to next door?

If the last tenants were growing drugs in the loft, they might have piggy backed next door's power supply.

And that's dangerous as well as illegal.

WMittens Sat 09-Feb-13 21:22:38

If the last tenants were growing drugs in the loft, they might have piggy backed next door's power supply.

And that's dangerous as well as illegal.

If they were growing drugs, I doubt they would be concerned about stealing some electricity

OP, what sort of light is it? Normal filament bulb, or something else?

very easy to test if its wired to your supply - get a torch, flick your mains trip switch, and go (with the torch!) and see if the light is still on or not smile

WorraLiberty Sat 09-Feb-13 21:51:53

Yes that's what I meant WMittens...not a care in the world and certainly not for safety either.

Tia's idea is a good one OP.

sydlexic Sun 10-Feb-13 00:32:16

Why to gloat?

AgentZigzag Sun 10-Feb-13 00:33:33

Because she got one over on her DH syd.

sydlexic Sun 10-Feb-13 00:53:06

Ok silly me

ArtsMumma Sun 10-Feb-13 02:39:27

I know a few people who keep a light on in the attic. apparently bulbs are so energy inefficient that the heat from one bulb can trade the temp enough to lower the chance of a pipe freezing. smile

TheMagicMumber Sun 10-Feb-13 02:42:59

Ah, it's 30 degrees here.

WandaDoff Sun 10-Feb-13 03:00:38

Is it a normal lightbulb or a big hot one? Perhaps a big halogen bulb that you can feel the heat from?

TheMagicMumber Wed 13-Feb-13 23:21:39

Mystery solved. blush

We were both kind of right. It was the bathroom light shining up into the roof cavity (somehow) and back down gain through DD's room.

Bathroom light off = bedroom light thing stopped.

socharlottet Wed 13-Feb-13 23:29:22

Your DH was right, come on, admit it!

angrytree Fri 15-Feb-13 08:05:45

Hee hee! Thanks for updating - I've been wondering!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now