Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to want to go outside and slash down the SOLD sign outside our rented home?

(288 Posts)
rocket74 Sat 09-Feb-13 09:03:44

I am so so upset. Our happily rented home for us with 2 small children has been sold and we will have to move out. We wanted to stay here indefinately. Been here 3.5 years but never realised when we moved in our rent was paying for the owners care home fees and that when she died it would be sold. Thought they meant it when they said long term rental.
So gutted. Some couple came round with their kid and dad who was obviously putting up the deposit for them. Alright for some!!
ABSOLUTELY bereft - we have tried looking for somewhere new - but we need an extra £400 month to get somewhere even vaguely similar as rents have gone crazy in this area - Brighton and Hove.
I just want to scream and slash the sign because if I don't I will end up slashing something else - which won't help issues.
Our little boy loves this house - he has autism - and the garden is big enough for him to run and do his laps - as is the living dining room.
I just want to be able to provide him with a home to suit his needs but I don't see how. I'm just crying all the time and feel totally hopeless.

Will I be done for criminal damage if I do smash down that fucking sign?

lockets Sat 09-Feb-13 10:31:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

firesidechat Sat 09-Feb-13 10:38:48

You are renting ... It was never going to be forever so YABU.

Those who say you should stay until you are evicted are out of order. Why should the owners have to pay out solicitors fees and go to court when you have no right to be there.

Put your energies into finding somewhere else rather than being angry at what you knew would happen one day.

This^

Strickly speaking Hecate is right, but it always seems so unfair that tenants will push it to the edge as suggested. It's a course of action recommended all over the internet, but not sure I could do it.

The poor family have just suffered a bereavement and now have a perfect right to sell the house. It also appears, from your post, that they have been subsidising your rent and haven't increased it when they could have done. Mourning a person gets more of my sympathy than mourning a house. Renting is never going to get you the same security as buying unfortunately.

Personally I would get on with trying to find somewhere else to live. Hope you find somewhere soon.

HecateWhoopass Sat 09-Feb-13 10:42:00

It is unfair.

But where should they go if they have nowhere to go and if the council is telling them to stay or they won't be helped?

I 'pushed it to the edge' but not for lack of trying to find another home! See my post above.

But it's a cold day in HELL before a parent should choose to put their children on the street.

If that means overstaying while you desperately try to find somewhere to go to - then so be it.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 09-Feb-13 10:43:40

YABU, given the amount of time it takes to sort the will, find a buyer and complete the sale you have had ample time to find a new home.

Staying put and making the other side pay legal costs us petty and should you need a reference from them for your new rental then you are going to be stuck.

Renting comes with advantages and pitfalls, if you want stability then you could have saved the £400 undercharged rent each month over the 3.5 years towards a deposit. Its always risky renting when you have children as its never permanent.

MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 10:43:51

Yabu but I really feel for you sad this happened twice to us in 8 months and its shit.

AllYoursBabooshka Sat 09-Feb-13 10:44:13

Sorry this has happened rocket. YANBU to vent, it's unexpected and a shock

We were assured we would be renting out last home for at least 5 years but the landlord went bankrupt after a year and didn't tell us. We got a letter to "The occupier" telling us the house was being repossessed.

We had got DS settled into a lovely school in September and got the letter in October. (that's the bare bones of it)

It felt really hopeless at the start but things are working out great for us now so try to stay positive. Start making plans and put all your energy into that, I'm sure everything will be great in the end for you too.

LIZS Sat 09-Feb-13 10:45:04

Chances are the solicitor for purchaser will want confirmation of vacant possession (ie. that you have left) before exchanging contracts. Also bear in mind that not getting out may put the purchaser at risk of becoming homeless.

calandarbear Sat 09-Feb-13 10:45:56

I can understand why you are upset OP.
I am unsure whether you have started trying to sort things out or just buried your head in the sand. The buying/selling process is a long one and if I was a landlord selling as the monet was no longer needed I would have given the tenant notice when I put the house on the market with a view to being able to go through the eviction process before the sale completed if the tenant was difficult.
When I was a tenant I was aware that I would have to leave if given notice so never really felt settled renting.
Incidentally you would have real issues with me as we could not afford to buy so my dad not only gave us the deposit but also is named on our mortgage.
F

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Sat 09-Feb-13 10:46:38

"But it's a cold day in HELL before a parent should choose to put their children on the street.

If that means overstaying while you desperately try to find somewhere to go to - then so be it."

This ^

Mimishimi Sat 09-Feb-13 10:51:21

Midnite:exactly, when we bought, we had been renting for years and it was our first property. Luckily our landlord had not found a new tenant yet and we explained that our new place was so unliveably dirty and asked if it would be okay if we stayed one more month so we could clean it up. Imagine if he had found a new tenant though? Where would we have gone? We had to move out of our very convenient area to buy but life goes on. We don't have a private garden but we have lots of parks nearby ( one of the benefits of living further away from the city) and the block has a small garden surrounding it where the kids can run around. There will be something for OP if she had started as soon as the sale process or starts looking now, albeit they may have to leave the area. ....I think she's being incredibly ill advised to stay put until she's kicked out, if her first priority is keeping a roof over her children's head, not getting blacklisted on private rental property lists ( and all agents have them) is crucial. We would never, ever rent to someone who had been forcibly evicted.

orangepudding Sat 09-Feb-13 10:59:26

YANBU to feel upset and angry that you are losing your home but 3.5 years is a long term rental.

Personally I'm not sure I could take the risk of bring evicted. It would be very difficult to rent privately again.
You may be lucky enough to be housed by the council but it may be in an awful area you hate - if you can't then rent privately you will be stuck there. You may have to go into temporary accommodation first which may mean moving again in a few months, the council may not have any of their own properties and find you privately rented accomdation which could mean that you are faced with the situation of moving frequently but not having a great choice of properties due to your eviction.
I may be wrong on my points but I'm not sure its worth the risks.

SirBoobAlot Sat 09-Feb-13 11:02:29

I understand you're upset, but damaging a sign won't do you any favours.

FWIW I'm in Peacehaven / Newhaven area and the rent is much cheaper over here than closer to town.

Chunderella Sat 09-Feb-13 11:04:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 11:07:56

The rule about the council is right, we lived in house for three years when landlord on property one remortgaged and did a runner with money, bank took house back which had three flats in and we were given two months notice. All the electric was run on ticket like bits of paper for machine we had to buy from landlord. It took recievers two weeks to find some.

We lost our deposit as pre protection scheme.
I tried to get help from council and was told that unless we waited till baliffs were at door they couldn't house us even in temp.

I managed to find a place and specifically went for long term let and moved in only to find landlord had lied to agents and property was already for sale. Four months in he sold it giving us 8 weeks notice.

The property we are in now is crap but because there are 10 houses and flats together owned by same landlord I know its likely another landlord would buy them if something happened.

HecateWhoopass Sat 09-Feb-13 11:09:34

She's being advised to stay put until she is evicted if she has nowhere to go

Is anyone actually advocating that she takes her children and sleeps on a park bench? Are any of you who think she should just go, saying that she should have nowhere for her children to sleep?

Where is she to go?

She has to have somewhere to go to before she should leave.

And if that means staying until she's evicted if that is the only way that she will get somewhere else (please read my post on what happened to me) then that is exactly what she should do.

That is not to say that she shouldn't be looking for somewhere - anywhere! But she should not move out without a home to go to

And if she is looking for the council to help, perhaps because she can't afford the higher costs, or a low credit score which means she gets turned down, for example. Then if she moves before she's evicted, they won't help her

OP i'm sorry you find yourself in this situation it is horrible BUT that is the most major pitfall of renting it is never going to be forever. I've had to leave rental propertys before for a variety of reasons - rent going up too high, house being sold etc and it is a massive pain but its also an expected one.

You must have had warning this was coming for the owners to be able to arrange veiwings on the house so I presume they have given you the legally required notice period?

In the nicest possible way I think you need to pull yourself together, this will happen, you do have to move so start looking properly for somewhere else. Yes it might not be perfect but you need to leave so you need to find somewhere to go. As others have suggested try looking a little further afield - its amazing the difference being even ten minutes further out from town can make to rental prices.

MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 11:13:55

"
Personally I'm not sure I could take the risk of bring evicted. It would be very difficult to rent privately again."

Lots of people don't have a choice though sad if you can't get council and can't get a mortgage.

MystiCally Sat 09-Feb-13 11:17:17

OP can afford to rent somewhere else, just maybe not somewhere with a huge garden and living room.

MidniteScribbler Sat 09-Feb-13 11:20:29

And what about the new owners Hecate? Why is it ok that they have to be homeless because of the tenants failure to accept the realities of renting? Why is her not being homeless more important than the new owners?

Where are the new owners to go?

And if they have legally given her a notice tht she must vacate, then she HAS been evicted, with a date that she must leave by. Staying until you are forcibly removed is only risking any chance of securing another rental in the future. No decent landlord will ever accept a tenant tht was forcibly removed from a previous property.

HecateWhoopass Sat 09-Feb-13 11:21:19

Then she should do that. But she shouldn't move out with nowhere to go.

The house we owned was a 4 bed, 3 story house. huge kitchen, big open plan living room, down south...

The HA home we now have is a tiny 2 bed in Derbyshire. We are grateful as hell.

you can't be picky.

But you can't be homeless.

And my children both have autism. The upheaval was hell.

I stand by all I've said. She shouldn't move without somewhere to go to and she shouldn't be expected to.

HecateWhoopass Sat 09-Feb-13 11:22:53

Midnite.

Are you telling me that if you had a home, you would leave it and take your children and sleep in a park because you didn't want to make someone else homeless?

Is that what you are saying you would do? That you would make your children homeless because you would prioritise some other family over yours?

In all honesty, that would be your choice?

FeckOffCup Sat 09-Feb-13 11:27:29

The OP has a choice though, as others have said this hasn't been sprung on her with no warning she must have known for a while about the impending sale and the onus is on her to find another rental to go to, even if it isn't ideal in terms of space etc.

Dominodonkey Sat 09-Feb-13 11:28:35

YANBU to be upset but YABU to be angry at the people who quite lawfully are selling the home you have lived in and the others who are buying it.

I agree with the other posters you need to think about your home priorities and either stay in the area in a less desirable property or find somewhere cheaper.

I am assuming you have no family who can help? on either side? Rather than having to get evicted bunking at someone else's for a while would surely be a better option.

MystiCally Sat 09-Feb-13 11:30:19

There's no suggestion from the OP that she's going to become homeless though, just that she can't afford somewhere as nice as her current rental, which was unusually cheap. It's just a rant. She will find somewhere, that isn't her ideal home. Few people live in their ideal homes.

JakeBullet Sat 09-Feb-13 11:33:08

Midnite....it's wrong yes but u fortunately it IS the reality. It is staggeringly wrong that councils should consider someone "intentionally homeless" if they have left at the end of a tenancy because they were given notice or the property was sold. Sadly councils WILL do this though which is why to stand any chance of getting housing help the tenants are advised to await eviction.

I think it's wrong but I also think house rental prices are ridiculous and a child with autism will struggle with the change. Getting a deposit back so you can put it down on another property is also a nightmare and many find themselves unable to move on without the deposit so end up on friends sofas etc in the meantime.

Don't know what the answer is though tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now