To think that I'm not too thin at 5'7 and 9 stone 2?

(56 Posts)
dontcallmehon Fri 08-Feb-13 21:50:42

I have lost a couple of stone on the 5:2 diet. I feel good and very healthy. My family keep commenting that I am too thin and look ill now. I really don't think I do, but could be deluded. I've checked my BMI and it seems perfectly healthy. Does that weight sound ok for my height? I like being slim, but don't want to go too far.

dontcallmehon Fri 08-Feb-13 22:31:20

BIWI, yes, that could definitely be the case.

FedupofTurkey Fri 08-Feb-13 22:35:54

What is 5:2 diet?

dontcallmehon Fri 08-Feb-13 22:37:13

See the threads on the 5:2 diet. Basically you eat normally 5 days a week and no more than 500 cals on the 2 'fast' days.

thefarmersintheden Fri 08-Feb-13 22:38:12

Just sounds like you carry your weight lower, which is easier to hide.

One of my friend has really delicate wrists, shoulders, face, waist etc and is v v chunky of hip, leg and thigh.

She looks incredibly slender in some clothes and very out of proportion in others.

My weight is much more in the face and tummy area which i think is harder ot hide.

CloudsAndTrees Fri 08-Feb-13 22:39:14

I'm 5'6 and I feel porky if I go over 9 stone. Your weight sounds fine to me.

People will be commenting just because you have lost the weight quite quickly and your appearance is new to them.

Whoknowswhocares Fri 08-Feb-13 22:43:41

I expect that they are concerned, especially about the 5:2 diet if they know you are doing that
I saw the program and think the science is sound, but many will not. Starving for two days out if seven will wave enormous big, red flags to a lot of people. They probably worry that you are developing eating issues

dontcallmehon Fri 08-Feb-13 22:45:34

Yes, I agree there, Whoknows. A lot of people don't understand this way of eating. Ironically, I have fewer eating issues than I've ever had on a typical diet. Nothing is forbidden, so I don't crave anything. My appetite has just regulated itself naturally.

MerlotAndMe Fri 08-Feb-13 22:50:41

wish I had your body. You sound slim but not too thin. although i don't know, if I saw you I might reconsider. hard to know for sure. i'm 9 stone and only 5'2" and my top half is thin and my bottom half is normal.

IsabelleRinging Fri 08-Feb-13 22:52:39

I'm 5'7" too and weigh a stone more than you, I think you will be very slim at 9stone2lb but a healthy weight (I would love to lose a stone and when iI was the the same weight as you I was slim and fit and healthy). Ignore other people, they don't like people to change and probably feel threatened by your new figure.

dontcallmehon Fri 08-Feb-13 22:54:17

There is a picture on my profile of me at 9 stone 10, so it is clear that I don't look skinny at all then.

EuroShagmore Fri 08-Feb-13 23:02:15

I'm 5'6 and consider my healthy range to be 9st-10st and my ideal weight now (at 37) to be 9'7. At 9st I start to look scrawny (boobs disappear!), at 10st I start to look podgy. So you sound about right to me. Low end of healthy I would say, which is consistent with a BMI of about 20.

bonkersLFDT20 Fri 08-Feb-13 23:06:25

I don't think you look too thin at all. Have you been exercising as you've lost the weight, because if not, maybe there's some sagginess (can't see any in your pic, but hard to see your face close up) which can make you look a bit haggard.

I am pretty much the same weight and height as you and people tend to regard me as very slim. Naked though, I have curves and fat and a bum and everything, just very slight ankles, wrists, slim face and barely any boobs. It gives me a very slim look.

I've been this weight all my adult life so I know it's right for me.

dontcallmehon Fri 08-Feb-13 23:08:33

Yes, I go to spin classes and do weights too. The only saggy bits are on my stomach because of pregnancy, but only a tummy tuck would sort that out and I don't care that much!

Cortana Fri 08-Feb-13 23:11:39

You look great! And your weight sounds fine too.

Like Bonkers and you I am pretty much the same height and weight. I have curves and a bum and rather chunky thighs to be honest. Just where I carry my weight, easy to hide and make me look slim.

Well done, by the way.

bonkersLFDT20 Fri 08-Feb-13 23:12:26

Well it all sounds great! Well done. I also have a wrinkly tummy which isn't going anywhere either. I run ALOT. I'm a woman who's had 2 kids and my body reflects this :-)

timidviper Fri 08-Feb-13 23:14:10

I think when people lose weight it takes the body a while to settle at its new weight, skin to tighten, everything to even out IYKWIM. Maybe you need to be at this weight for a while for your body to look really healthy and good.

OTOH, maybe they are jealous or insecure or just don't like any change

timidviper Fri 08-Feb-13 23:17:46

Sorry, just reread my post and I don't mean to imply you look saggy or unhealthy. I think sometimes even slim people need a while at a new weight to look really healthy at it.

I've just looked at your picture though and think you look great.

dimdommilpot Fri 08-Feb-13 23:26:16

I am 5ft 8inch and 9stone exactly and get a lot of comments about been too skinny. I dont think i am, though i will admit i have a very small waist and big knockers. i would like to tone up but cant be arsed. You dont sound too skinny!

TroublesomeEx Sat 09-Feb-13 07:44:45

I've just looked at your photo.

It's jealousy or something because you look lovely. smile

AlanMoore Sat 09-Feb-13 07:53:41

I think you're putting too much store on what others think - when I looked at your photo I had seen it before on a v similar thread? You know you're a healthy weight, if you are eating well and FEEL well maintaining it it doesn't matter what others say does it?

Though your H sounds charming...

exoticfruits Sat 09-Feb-13 08:05:22

It is fine. I got similar from my mother and had to get shirty and say 'well if I look scraggy I feel much healthier and I am not changing it'. She has stopped now- I didn't continue losing and have stayed the same for 3 years. I am much healthier and never even seem to get colds. Just ignore and they will get used to the 'new you'.

I am 5' 5" and 8 stone 12. I'm slim but def not skinny so similar size to you I'd think. I have quite a chubby tummy/thighs actually but dress accordingly. My neck/chest/shoulders are very delicate looking (v small boobs) - could this be the case with you?

Some people have occasionally said I look too thin, but I do think that so man eple are now overweight, even slightly, that we have lostsight of what is normal and healthy.

I was 8 stone 6 when I got married 2 years ago (due to nerves!) and I'd say I was at the lower end of what looked ok at that point.

PS. Sort your DH out! Mine loves my small boobs blush

hotdog74 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:43:49

I would say the slim end of normal but absolutely fine.

Fanjounchained Sat 09-Feb-13 08:51:54

I've started the 5:2 diet but had a couple of false starts..trying to get back into it this week..I'm the same height as you and 10st 7.8lbs according to the scales this morning. My target weight is about 9st 7lbs. As others have said the people who are commenting are probably a couple of pounds over weight themselves. After DS1 I lost quite a bit and looking back at pics I think I look great, probably the happiest I've been in my adult life, but the amount of people who said to me I was looking thin was unbelievable...but that's because they were used to me looking a bit chubby !

As with most things what matters is how you think you look, whether we're talking about your weight, clothes, hair or make up. If you're happy then politely tell them to bugger off...

riverboat Sat 09-Feb-13 09:01:11

Interesting to read the different weights of people on this thread who are 5"6/5"7 (like me) and how certain people can be perceived as skinny at a higher weight than others with the same height.

I'm 5"7, and for as long as I can remember, whether I diet/exercise or not, I have weighed 10 stone and am size 10 on top and 12 on bottom. I think 9 stone 2 would probably be my 'dream' weight where I would have eliminated a lot of my flab without veering into 'skinny' territory. So YANBU! If you feel and look good and healthy you deserve a congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now