AIBU to want my newborn to stay a newborn? Do you feel the same intense love for your child at every stage?

(114 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Fri 08-Feb-13 19:30:03

My ds is only 8 days and even though he's my first and it's a steep learning curve, I'm totally in love with my little bundle of cuddles.

I keep looking (and gazing) at him and loving everything about him and just wishing he could stay a newborn for ever!

So many people keep saying to me "pink, enjoy your little baby as they grow up so fast", I know this sounds really bizarre but it makes me feel a little sad when they say this. It's almost as if those days when your child is a tiny baby is the only stage to enjoy.

Does this make any sense?

I'm 33 and previously the least maternal person you could imagine, but I can't believe how my son has made me feel.

Eebahgum Sat 09-Feb-13 13:14:19

Thank you for starting this thread op. So many beautiful comments. My ds is 4.5 months & I love him immensely. I look forward to all the wonderful things that are to come, like the first time he squeezes to give me a proper hug & the first time he tries to say 'mummy' - but I think it's important not to spend too much time looking forward & just try to enjoy the days as they happen. The bit I love most at the moment is his giggles. I wish I could bottle the feeling it gives me - it's impossible to feel down when I hear it. X

Pinkflipflop Sat 09-Feb-13 14:11:01

Thank you for all the lovely comments on this thread, it has really helped me to know that 'the best is yet to come'.

I can't believe the feeling I have already and how much, even after 9 days, I love being a mother! smile

BrianButterfield Sat 09-Feb-13 14:12:48

I've thought every age so far (ds is 18mo) is the absolute perfect age, and how could you ever want a child who was any other age? And you do feel the same about them the whole time, in fact the more you see them learn the more it grows in a way. Aww, precious newborns. Enjoy yours.

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 14:14:53

yeah grin

yanbu, but also yabu wink

DD is 14months and every day, she amazes me with what she can do!

every stage she's been through, I've been gobsmacked: "how did you learn to do that?!"
but it's amazing, it really is.

so, yes, enjoy your NB cuddles, and your not-quite-knowing-what-you're-doing, it won't last and you must savour it, but look forward to seeing each next stage too grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 09-Feb-13 14:16:50

nickel how can your DD be 14 months? shock She was only born a little while ago. <faints>

Thumbwitch Sat 09-Feb-13 14:21:27

YANBU at all - I know exactly how you feel! Every time your little baby grows out of a set of clothes, it's a little heart-tug (Ok that could just be me) - and DS2 is growing out of his so flipping fast, he's only 4mo and the 3-6m stuff is starting to look a wee bit tight already! - but really, you wouldn't want it any other way. Just enjoy every stage and take as many photos as you can! grin

Nickel, has it really been 14m?? I remember being on your live birth thread, can't believe it was over a year ago! shock

Thumbwitch Sat 09-Feb-13 14:28:09

Also, you wait until he starts to focus on you and smile when he sees you - you'll just be a puddle of gooiness! wink

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 14:28:52

PinkFlipFlop (and everyone else)

here - post a picture of your DC now!

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 14:29:05

Sparkling - i know! grinshock

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 14:29:31

Thumby - weird, isn't it! 1 year and 2 months!

Portofino Sat 09-Feb-13 14:53:39

Huh. This has just made me think of the "I'll Love You Forever" book <<sobs>>

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 15:12:33

<<sobs>>

Sparklingbrook Sat 09-Feb-13 15:17:38

<howls>

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Sat 09-Feb-13 15:21:33

I have a 5wo here and I can hardly bear to think he is going to grow up, I want him to stay little for ever.

IAmLouisWalsh Sat 09-Feb-13 15:24:58

My baby is four and gives amazing little butterfly kisses.

My bigger baby is six and can wipe his own bum.

Every age has an advantage!

MamaBear17 Sat 09-Feb-13 15:29:11

Oh God you are just in for a world of amazement. My dd is 18 months and I can honestly say I fall in love with her all over again every single day. It doesnt stop being brilliant, even when they are drawing with wax crayon on your freshly painted walls. It genuinely does get even better but in a different way. Congratulations x

magimedi Sat 09-Feb-13 17:02:13

When my DS was a baby I thought I'd never be able to bear it when he grew up.

He's now 30 & I love him just as much & really, really like & respect him as a person.

(There are times, during teens when you may not like them very much!)

weegiemum Sat 09-Feb-13 17:12:57

I didn't much like the newborn stage, actually. Partly it was the pnd, but I also find it really boring! I loved them all, but I was glad it didn't last forever! Give me my big kids (13, 11, 9) anytime. Its currently really good fun. I don't miss the baby days muc at all.

ILoveFrogs Sat 09-Feb-13 17:37:22

My one and only DS has just turned three, I can honestly say that I love him more each day. I wasn't too keen on the baby stage but he is at such a lovely age just now, he is a little chatterbox and everything he says just makes me smile, it melts my heart when he asks for a cuddle and last week he told me he loved me, it was one of the best moments ever!

We are talking about trying for another but I really don't know if I have it in me to love another as much as I love DS (I know in reality I will though).

CoffeeChocolateWine Sat 09-Feb-13 17:48:46

ILoveFrogs I had those doubts when we were trying for another baby, but DD is 6 months now and DS is 4 and one of my favourite parts of being a mum is right now watching the most beautiful relationship forming between. It's so heart-warming...and yes you do feel exactly the same for DC2 as DC1.

LaQueen Sat 09-Feb-13 17:52:18

I had PND with DD1, so never experienced that rush of love when she was born, in fact it was 5 long, long months before I really felt any emotional bond with her.

But, it grew steadily, and I slowly but surely fell in love with her.

She's 10 next month, and I absolutely adore her, and can't bear to think that there will come a day, when she doesn't climb into bed for a cuddle at the weekends, and when she won't want me to tuck her up in bed at night [shakes head...hums tune to distract herself...]

orangeandlemons Sat 09-Feb-13 17:54:42

My eldest is 18. He's quite quite lovely in every way. I still feel overwhelmed with love whenever I see him. Intelligent, kind, loving, gentle....they just keep getting better....but I am very attached to newborn's. especially when you pick them up, and they stay curled up with their little foggy legs. Aaaah

orangeandlemons Sat 09-Feb-13 17:55:25

froggy legs!

Yadnbu I know exactly what you mean I remember sitting feeding my dd at 1 week old sobbing cos she'd never been a week old again! I love her more every day and as much as a newborn is amazing a toddler is a lot of fun gringrin

nickelbabe Sun 10-Feb-13 13:31:08

dd made me laugh at church today.
dh reached into his pocket toget his hanky, and blew his nose.

dd copied him completely from across the pew. she didn?t have a hanky but she put her hand to her nose, made a blowing noise with her hand and then wiped her face like her dad did grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now