AIBU to want my newborn to stay a newborn? Do you feel the same intense love for your child at every stage?

(114 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Fri 08-Feb-13 19:30:03

My ds is only 8 days and even though he's my first and it's a steep learning curve, I'm totally in love with my little bundle of cuddles.

I keep looking (and gazing) at him and loving everything about him and just wishing he could stay a newborn for ever!

So many people keep saying to me "pink, enjoy your little baby as they grow up so fast", I know this sounds really bizarre but it makes me feel a little sad when they say this. It's almost as if those days when your child is a tiny baby is the only stage to enjoy.

Does this make any sense?

I'm 33 and previously the least maternal person you could imagine, but I can't believe how my son has made me feel.

maleview70 Fri 08-Feb-13 19:58:09

no. They become a pain in the arse when they hit about 12 and this lasts for a few years before they become semi normal again.

YABalittleU. Of course that first rush of newborn love is amazing. But children just get better, they really do. And at every stage, you will only be able to imagine them being exactly where they are now. You'll remember that there was a baby stage, and your child was cute and adorable then. But somehow it won't seem like it was your DS, because he's only ever been who he currently is, is that makes any sense! grin

You just wait until he becomes an actual person, with his own thoughts, likes, dislikes, opinions, character traits - all of them awesome and his very own. You'll fall more in love with him every day.

bumbez Fri 08-Feb-13 20:07:45

I remember that feeling when dd was 12 weeks, so lovely I wanted her to stay like it. She will be 10 in April, such a lovely age, we go shopping and she loves to watch Miranda with me. She has a Wonderfull wit that gives me belly laughs. I have so far loved all the stages . Enjoy your newborn op and congratulations but it just gets better smile

VivaLeBeaver Fri 08-Feb-13 20:08:20

DD is 11 and I think don't change now you're perfect. grin

MrsHoarder Fri 08-Feb-13 20:12:40

8 months ago I was crying because I couldn't see any way for tiny perfect ds to change that wouldn't make him wise. But you know what this afternoon we were sat together and we had Milky snuggles then we cuddling and tickling and squeeing. Its sooo much better once they start reacting, even if quiet snuggles get shorter and for sleeper times.

Pigsmummy Fri 08-Feb-13 20:13:23

I love this thread! (reading whilst stroking my DD's cheek as she is teething). Soooooo lovely

katiecubs Fri 08-Feb-13 20:15:58

Oh gosh please don't worry it only gets SOOOO much better!!!

MrsLouisTheroux Fri 08-Feb-13 20:17:23

I have loved very single stage just as much. smile

Peevish Fri 08-Feb-13 20:23:40

I think the reason people say that is to reassure you that if you are finding the newborn stage difficult (as many people do - the rush of love is not always immediate, and, with or without it, the early days can be gruelling!), that it will pass quickly. I think many people, myself included, wish we had been able to enjoy the first couple of months more - it was a blind blur of exhaustion, panic and mourning my pre-baby self in my case.

I look back at my ten-month-old's newborn photos, and realise how sweet he was, and wish I'd spent more time just admiring him, without all the worry.

NeverFullyDressedWithoutAScarf Fri 08-Feb-13 20:25:27

Mine are 5 and 4 and I am genuinely more crazy about them every day. I remember being told to enjoy the baby stage and, although I loved them both so much that it almost hurt, feeling as you do - almost sad that everyone seemed to think this was the 'best bit' and I was too tired to appreciate it!

It really does get better and better, and part if the joy of it is the way you all grow together over the years. You will be no more the person you are today in a year than your lovely boy will be the person he is. I had never really understood that before having the girls but it is amazing to feel your own family unit growing.

BarbJohnson5 Fri 08-Feb-13 20:30:44

Yes, it is a feeling you'll have for some time. I suppose we all have to accept that they'll grow up. I still feel sad every time i think about how much my children are growing and sometimes i can't believe they're 24 and 18! My youngest turns 3 tomorrow and i DON'T want her to grow up. She is still and will always be my baby.

Sugarice Fri 08-Feb-13 20:39:36

You'll never lose that buzz of maternal love when you see your children even when they're older.

Ds1 has just turned up after missing my calls wondering where he was. He walked in with a smile and ' I just got your text,sorry' and I was just thrilled he was home safe.

They never stop being your baby, ever!

minouminou Fri 08-Feb-13 20:57:56

The love just grows and grows.
Congratulations.

PastaB Fri 08-Feb-13 21:00:55

There is something delightful about every age. I do miss my newborn but the 14 month old who has replaced her is amazing. I adore her.

stopgap Fri 08-Feb-13 21:02:46

I hated the newborn stage (silent reflux) and am a little envious of those that get to enjoy it. In any case, my son is now 18 months and I adore every single minute of his company, even the emergent flailing and growling smile

LittlePicnic Fri 08-Feb-13 21:05:34

YANBU- I wish I could just freeze time or go back to when DC1 was newborn - she's three now. I can't believe four YEARS have passed since I was pregnant with her. I wish she and DC2 were still tiny newborns who couldn't do much but lie down looking beautiful!

Believeitornot Fri 08-Feb-13 21:06:10

Yes I love them at every stage so far (oldest is 3.4).

But there's something so wonderful about a cuddly newborn <jealous>

However my dd (14 months) and ds are both amazing. Them growing up - I try and savour as much as I can because one day they won't be young, innocent and full of fun!

PenelopePisstop Fri 08-Feb-13 21:11:22

That overwhelming love for newborn is so fantastic but that feeling comes often over the years. My DS is 19 and I feel just the same now.

I think it just gets better, I feel so proud of how he has turned out. I often look at him and think Wow he is my son - how the hell did I manage that! He's handsome, charming, witty, clever, an absolute delight.

rollmopses Fri 08-Feb-13 21:11:41

It just gets bigger and better. Every day.
You love your DC more that you ever thought you are capable of loving anyone and your love just grows with them.
It's wonderful. smile

PlinkyLove Fri 08-Feb-13 21:12:51

I remember thinking about PFB that she just became more and more beautiful. She is 9 now and probably my best friend. She is great. I also have a 2 year old DS. We are in love. I dunno. It shifts and changes all the time. Love it all and make the best of it. How gorgeous to have these amazing people in our lives.

CoffeeChocolateWine Fri 08-Feb-13 21:13:26

It's definitely not the only stage to enjoy so don't worry about that. In fact, if I'm honest, the newborn stage is that stage I've enjoyed least in hindsight even though I loved it (most of the time!) at the time!

But for me, it's just got better and better. You fall in love with them on the first cuddle, you fall deeper when they give you their first smile, even deeper when you hear their first giggle, first babbles, first words, first steps...it goes on. Agree with the above, there have been so many times where I've thought "I want you to stay this age forever because you are perfect", but then they develop and grow even more and I think "this is my favourite stage yet". I'm excited to see what's next!

My babies as 4 (DS) and 6 months (DD). At the moment I'm looking at DD and thinking I love this age where she's babbling constantly and trying to crawl and smilling and giggling all the time and I don't want her to grow up. But then I look at DS and see the beautiful boy he's become and I feel excited about the little person DD will beome too. And I also look at DS and I love his stage too...the wonderful chats we have, his beautiful personality and sense of humour, watching him play, ride a bike, swim etc. My heart swells with love and pride! You will love every stage and you will fall even more in love with your lo...they truely are the most amazing people you will ever meet. Really excited for you...you have some amazing times lying ahead of you.

Congratulations and enjoy.

You will just love them more as they grow. There's something very special about a tiny newborn, they're right at the start of their lives but imagine that tiny baby you've got right now being able to smile, laugh, talk, give cuddles. There's nothing more wonderful than see your tiny baby grow into a little person. My eldest is only 2.8 and youngest 10 months and I adore them even more the older they get and the more I get to know them.

meltedcreditcard Fri 08-Feb-13 21:20:37

There's a song from Rock Nativity that gets me going all the time - unfortunately I cannot find it but it's called " I will watch you grow (my son)"

I gaze at my gorgeous boys and think it.

Every stage of their life is amazing (even although I have to look up at my eldest now) He gives amazing hugs!!

Still have their babygrows tho!!

ChasedByBees Fri 08-Feb-13 21:21:42

I remember DH saying as we left hospital, 'I just want DD to stay exactly like this always'.

In thoae early months, I used to stare and marvel at how beautiful she was and I thought she couldn't possibly be as cute when she had teeth and hair. She's now 12 months, has 4 teeth, beautiful hair with an amazing quiff and I look back at the photos of my gummy, baldy baby and smile, before thinking how she can't ever possibly be lovelier than she is right now. smile

It's amazing to be greeted when I come from home from work with a beaming smile and frantic waving. Every stage has been amazing and I'm so looking forward to her walking alongside me and telling me what she's thinking.

TroublesomeEx Fri 08-Feb-13 21:22:06

Mine are 14 and 6.

I am unbelievably in love and incredibly proud of both of them.

My 6 year old is a witty and charming delight. I could just burst with how perfect she is.

My 14 year old is at a friends for a sleepover tonight. Before he left he hugged me and said that having a hug with his mum is still one of his most favourite things.

They are my two favourite people in the world and I just love being with them.

Trust me, OP, what you feel for your son now is only the start of it. Enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now