Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to find myself shouting IT'S NOT ABOUT THE HORSE MEAT

(171 Posts)
ICBINEG Fri 08-Feb-13 12:22:37

It's about companies not having the faintest idea what is in the food they sell!

Drugs, contaminants, carcinogens, allergens etc.

If you don't even know it is horse not beef then how can I trust it doesn't contain milk and hence will not kill my DNephew if I happen to feed it to him?

The same goes for toys. If you don't know who actually made the parts and from what then how do you know it isn't smothered in lead/anything else that is extremely harmful to children?

I predict a future filled with product and toy recalls followed by lawsuits until retailers wake up to the fact that we WILL blame them when a burger/toy they sold us harms the health of our children.

WillSantaComeAgain Fri 08-Feb-13 13:07:28

Aparently there is an historical religious reason for not eating horse. It was outlawed by Christians in the 8th Century and it was only when Napolean realised his troops would starve because he was an idiot to invade Russia in the winter if he didn't encourage it that it became acceptable again. [And this MUST be true, I read it in the Rupert Murdoch press]

Its definitely not about the horsemeat [though it makes me feel physically sick to think about it] - its about knowing what's in the food we eat and understanding about the true costs of food. Factory farming, milk shipped in from Poland to make "genuine" west country cheddar (that is sold in Waitrose as a "made in the UK") etc etc. The public need to wake up and realise that cheap = crap. Period. I think I read somewhere that our parents generation spent one third of their income on food. A third!! We spend less than 10%.

Really glad I stopped buying ready meals and cheap meat about 15 years ago. I'd rather not eat meat ever again than eat a tesco value burger.

TheMightyLois Fri 08-Feb-13 13:07:35

"Sainsbury's re-named theirs Giraffe Bread, apparently because a little girl wrote in saying the pattern on it looked more like a giraffe than a tiger. I suspect a smokescreen."

Wasn't that letter just an advertising thing by Sainsbury's?

niceguy2 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:08:28

Couldn't agree more OP. I actually couldn't care less about the fact there is horsemeat being sold. As long as it's labelled and people can make their own minds up.

But to sell a BEEF lasagne and for it to have 100% horsemeat in it is frankly ridiculous.

Yep. I have a Tesco macaroni cheese in the freezer. I wonder what nasties that contains.

Thank you Santa, i've just been educating myself on Wikipedia about it!

FairyJen Fri 08-Feb-13 13:13:51

Extremely well said op I agree 100%!

neriberi Fri 08-Feb-13 13:14:38

What I don't understand is why so much of meat comes from Europe when we have farmers over here on the brink of going out business.

E320 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:15:26

Actually, it is about stupid, " entitled" consumers expecting " someone" to take responsibility for everything in their lives.
Shop at your local butcher, baker, fishmonger or green grocer. Stop lining the pockets of the processed food industry!

Cos it is cheap, cos it is horse meat, and the rest of Europe does not have the animal welfare standards that we supposedly have in this country.

moisturiser Fri 08-Feb-13 13:16:52

Totally agree OP

But for me there is also the aspect of if there's a type of meat in the product they didn't know was there, chances are that meat was slaughtered in awful, horrible conditions. It's probably naive of me to think that all Uk meat, say, is ethically slaughtered, but I would bet most conditions are a hell of a lot better than they are in the countries were the horse meat came from. I abhor the fact that animals are being killed in dreadful conditions.

ICBINEG Fri 08-Feb-13 13:17:06

Maryz I was just thinking that the DNA angle has made it very easy to check meat...but not so much what the non-biological components might be. I guess you can check the actual source of flours, oils (except mineral?) although maybe not.

<glances at biology textbook on shelf that she never did find time to read>

I don't think its stupid for the food that is on sale in our shops to be fit for human consumption (not saying this wasnt btw) and tat the label should vaguely reflect what it is. I know now that its naive, but I do not agree it is stupid.

AppleOgies Fri 08-Feb-13 13:17:24

YANBU. I avoid processed foods if possible. If I cook it myself then I know (mostly) what goes into it. How the food manufacturers cannot know what is in their products is highly worrying. Is there no quality control at all?

Sorry, stupid to expect the food

ICBINEG Fri 08-Feb-13 13:19:11

E230 not sure if it is massively entitled to want accurate product information?

If I go to my butcher, will he be able to guarantee no contamination with milk protein? It isn't something that the local farmer is necessarily set up to eliminate?

countrykitten Fri 08-Feb-13 13:20:40

Woo, you say that at times like these you wish you were a veggie....what's stopping you? It's easy.

WillSantaComeAgain Fri 08-Feb-13 13:20:50

The milk from Poland one is a really good example (because I know exactly which cheesemaker does it and the local farmers). Cheesemaker in the middle of prime dairy country. I shit you not, you cannot move for beautiful holstein cows for a good say, five mile radius around this farm. They buy their milk from Poland because it is cheaper. The cheese can be sold as UK origin (they even name the farm it comes from). No suggestion that the milk got shipped over a thousand miles <keeps fingers crossed that geographical knowledge of Europe isn't going to embarass me> with all the polution that entails AND with no guarantees on the welfare standards of the cows that produced that milk.

ICBINEG Fri 08-Feb-13 13:20:55

I am waiting for human DNA to turn up....

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Fri 08-Feb-13 13:21:22

If one good thing comes out of this, it will be that people may be less complacent about what they chuck in their trolley. Making your own food from scratch isn't difficult and can cost considerably less than buying it all ready-made. Healthier, less waste, less packaging, just slightly more time-consuming (but not necessarily that much). And actual food tastes better than ready-made anyway.
YANBU - we need to reclaim our values.

socharlottet Fri 08-Feb-13 13:22:48

'I am waiting for human DNA to turn up.... '
Shhh! You'll give the tories ideas about what to do with these pesky benefit scroungers!

Narked Fri 08-Feb-13 13:23:13

Shop at your local butcher, baker, fishmonger or green grocer. Stop lining the pockets of the processed food industry!

And the meat you buy from your butcher is somehow guaranteed? Because smaller businesses never adulterate their products to raise their profits. This has gone on for centuries. The difference is that we've been lulled into thinking that we don't need to be cautious anymore.

ICBINEG Fri 08-Feb-13 13:23:31

will that is just abysmal! You should get no brownie points at all for the location of the production line...only for the origin of the raw materials.

The stupidity is that I would pick a genuine home grown cheese for all sorts of reasons and I would pay at least 50% more if not 100%.

When I buy british beef does that just mean killed and packaged in the UK? Or farmed here?

JakeBullet Fri 08-Feb-13 13:23:42

This is why I cook from scratch..

Scholes34 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:23:57

Tesco sells frozen omlettes. That says a lot about our inability to cook and the reliance of many on ready meals.

Meat eaters can eat vegetarian food too. It's not exclusive to vegetarians, and it's really very tasty.

countrykitten Fri 08-Feb-13 13:24:11

Processed food is disgusting and I have no idea why anyone would eat it. This current scandal will soon be forgotten as people clamour for their fish fingers, burgers, sausages and pies again. The thought of it makes me feel ill but other people will put up with serious animal cruelty/ welfare issues and horribly poor quality 'meat' as long as it comes cheap and in a box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now