Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Please help me think of a short (approx 3 words) pro democracy slogan...

(18 Posts)
feelokaboutit Fri 08-Feb-13 11:17:19

Hi

We are gathering all parents opposed to the proposed forced academisation of our primary school this afternoon for a press photo shoot, possibly to be covered by local TV as well.

We are going to be standing in front of the school with our petition as well as banners.

Please help me think of a short pro democracy slogan... My banner is roughly A2 size.

I was thinking along the mundane lines of "DEMOCRACY??" or "IS THIS A DEMOCRACY?" but there must be something better. Have googled but all the quotes there are very long.

Thank you!

Pootles2010 Fri 08-Feb-13 11:18:58

'Our school our choice'?

MN044 Fri 08-Feb-13 11:19:29

How about 'Fuck You Dave'?
<helpful>
I'd just go with 'No Academy'. Short and sweet. I'd have Fuck You Dave written on the back though.

CoteDAzur Fri 08-Feb-13 11:22:24

We Matter

Our Votes Count

gordyslovesheep Germany Fri 08-Feb-13 11:24:49

Parents Voices Matter

Gove is a cunt

gordyslovesheep Germany Fri 08-Feb-13 11:25:38

also contact these people for advice and support if you haven't already

Eebahgum Fri 08-Feb-13 11:27:26

Ooh, I second "Gove is a cunt." Short & to the point. X

HollyBerryBush Fri 08-Feb-13 11:27:40

Is the school self academising or becoming part of a larger chain?

feelokaboutit Fri 08-Feb-13 11:28:14

Thanks gordy - yes we have already. Alasdair Smith came to give us a talk.
I had initially thought "our school our choice" but then thought something which actually makes the government feel slightly threatened (I hope confused) might get through to them more. Am liking "our votes count"... also other more direct slogans grin

MissAnglia Fri 08-Feb-13 11:28:57

You'd get away with "Cove is a Gunt". Probably.

feelokaboutit Fri 08-Feb-13 11:32:13

Well, the DfE is apparently going to TELL angry us on Monday who they have chosen. Given that it seems politically inevitable (to the governors) that we will have to become an Academy, they want to choose their own sponsor. However, since we are "in a category" (a whole other story and the overall Ofsted judgement really doesn't reflect the school as a whole) the DfE may not listen to us at all angry angry.

So the parents are campaigning with a view to either not becoming an Academy at all or at the very least choosing our own sponsor and not becoming part of a nameless, faceless chain. The governors' preferred option is to federate with our local secondary school who themselves understand us and our ethos. Much more than the faceless suited brigade from the DfE.

KurriKurri Fri 08-Feb-13 11:44:17

Or 'Gove is a Jeremy Hunt'

feelokaboutit Fri 08-Feb-13 11:54:15

Have gone with "our votes count" - thanks for your suggestions smile.

gordyslovesheep Germany Fri 08-Feb-13 11:56:38

I have a major crush on Alasdair Smith blush he came to give us a talk as well as we had had a pro academy person come in giving us the hard sell

gordyslovesheep Germany Fri 08-Feb-13 11:56:56

oh and GOOD LUCK

feelokaboutit Fri 08-Feb-13 12:04:00

Yes, he is sweet it has to be said. Thank you Gordy. What happened / is happening to your school?

tethersend Fri 08-Feb-13 12:21:35

Good choice. Be sure to paint it thusly:

GOVE- our votes CoUNT.

motherinferior Fri 08-Feb-13 12:22:38

Fuck Off Govey - three words, to the point - would be my choice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now