to expect people to have an answering service

(17 Posts)

Yes, it's not your fault! It shouldn't make you look unprofessional if they can't be contacted.

I don't have one for the same reason as saltire, btw, but I do have one on my mobile for tutoring and I wouldn't cope without that.

Saltire Fri 08-Feb-13 10:56:14

I don't. we got rid of it after it was regularly filled up with my mum ringing at 2 mintue intervals saying "are you there, pick up".

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 10:49:04

IT isn't your fault if you can't get a hold of them though

kim147 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:47:58

I need to change something tomorrow - if I can't contact them, it makes me look a bit unprofessional.

Will have to keep trying.

chickenfactory Fri 08-Feb-13 10:47:12

My DH turns his off as he works abroad and his mum always leaves a message saying 'its just me, how are you' costs him a fortune to check when she can use Skype/email/text.

Professionals should. On a landline, no, YA a bit U to 'expect' it.

I suppose it depends on the situation - if you are doing them a favour it's a bit poor they're not more contactable.

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 10:33:17

I sometimes forget to turn the machine on the landline and I don't know how to get into my mobiles service blush I guess if it is important people will call back I think yab impatient call back im sure they will answer soon,

I have an answer phone, it's switched off and I have a mobile somewhere. I'm at home most of the time so I'm able to answer the phone, if I'm out the caller can try again later.

ouryve Fri 08-Feb-13 10:20:43

We have one on our home phone, but it's pot luck whether the kids have turned it on or off or recorded their own customised message grin

AppleOgies Fri 08-Feb-13 10:19:49

I switch mine off on mobile and home phone. I hate listening to answering machine messages. I'm not available, deal with it, try again later. Don't pass the responsibility on to me by leaving me messages.

I hate answering services. I never activated it on my mobile (because I'd never check it). I think there's one on my landline, but I didn't set it up and I don't know how to check it (not that I ever would). I don't see why I have to be contactable at all times.

I even turn my mobile off when I don't want t receive calls. Or ignore it if I don't want to speak to the caller/anyone. I hate phones. If you want to leave me a message: email or text me. I still may not read it or reply though.

I really resent the whole mobile phone, email, being contactable at all times thing. It's bloody liberating to go out without a mobile phone and not have any way for anyone to contact you.

wonkylegs Fri 08-Feb-13 10:18:46

If it's in a professional capacity they should have an answerphone as it makes business sense.
Personal phone and it's completely up to them. Not everybody wants to be contactable 24/7
I know somebody who unplugs his phone after 8pm. He doesn't have any kids and reckons that nothing is so important that it can't wait until the next day.

Isildur Fri 08-Feb-13 10:17:53

I don't have an answering service (because my phone company charges for it).

If someone phones my mobile, their number is stored, I can choose whether or not to call them back.

mollymole Fri 08-Feb-13 10:15:55

The most annoying is those that click to a message saying ' x is not available at the moment and you cannot leave a message' - still costs you a phone call
this is so rude imo

I don't have one on my.mobile or house phone. If I want to talk to you, i'll phone you back.

BumpingFuglies Fri 08-Feb-13 10:14:10

Not everyone wants one. Some people feel too "contactable" these days.

kim147 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:09:25

On a phone. An answerphone or 1571 or anyway you can leave a message?

Just trying to contact someone to arrange something and no answer. No way to leave a message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now