to expect people to have an answering service

(17 Posts)
kim147 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:09:25

On a phone. An answerphone or 1571 or anyway you can leave a message?

Just trying to contact someone to arrange something and no answer. No way to leave a message.

BumpingFuglies Fri 08-Feb-13 10:14:10

Not everyone wants one. Some people feel too "contactable" these days.

I don't have one on my.mobile or house phone. If I want to talk to you, i'll phone you back.

mollymole Fri 08-Feb-13 10:15:55

The most annoying is those that click to a message saying ' x is not available at the moment and you cannot leave a message' - still costs you a phone call
this is so rude imo

Isildur Fri 08-Feb-13 10:17:53

I don't have an answering service (because my phone company charges for it).

If someone phones my mobile, their number is stored, I can choose whether or not to call them back.

wonkylegs Fri 08-Feb-13 10:18:46

If it's in a professional capacity they should have an answerphone as it makes business sense.
Personal phone and it's completely up to them. Not everybody wants to be contactable 24/7
I know somebody who unplugs his phone after 8pm. He doesn't have any kids and reckons that nothing is so important that it can't wait until the next day.

I hate answering services. I never activated it on my mobile (because I'd never check it). I think there's one on my landline, but I didn't set it up and I don't know how to check it (not that I ever would). I don't see why I have to be contactable at all times.

I even turn my mobile off when I don't want t receive calls. Or ignore it if I don't want to speak to the caller/anyone. I hate phones. If you want to leave me a message: email or text me. I still may not read it or reply though.

I really resent the whole mobile phone, email, being contactable at all times thing. It's bloody liberating to go out without a mobile phone and not have any way for anyone to contact you.

AppleOgies Fri 08-Feb-13 10:19:49

I switch mine off on mobile and home phone. I hate listening to answering machine messages. I'm not available, deal with it, try again later. Don't pass the responsibility on to me by leaving me messages.

ouryve Fri 08-Feb-13 10:20:43

We have one on our home phone, but it's pot luck whether the kids have turned it on or off or recorded their own customised message grin

I have an answer phone, it's switched off and I have a mobile somewhere. I'm at home most of the time so I'm able to answer the phone, if I'm out the caller can try again later.

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 10:33:17

I sometimes forget to turn the machine on the landline and I don't know how to get into my mobiles service blush I guess if it is important people will call back I think yab impatient call back im sure they will answer soon,

Professionals should. On a landline, no, YA a bit U to 'expect' it.

I suppose it depends on the situation - if you are doing them a favour it's a bit poor they're not more contactable.

chickenfactory Fri 08-Feb-13 10:47:12

My DH turns his off as he works abroad and his mum always leaves a message saying 'its just me, how are you' costs him a fortune to check when she can use Skype/email/text.

kim147 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:47:58

I need to change something tomorrow - if I can't contact them, it makes me look a bit unprofessional.

Will have to keep trying.

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 10:49:04

IT isn't your fault if you can't get a hold of them though

Saltire Fri 08-Feb-13 10:56:14

I don't. we got rid of it after it was regularly filled up with my mum ringing at 2 mintue intervals saying "are you there, pick up".

Yes, it's not your fault! It shouldn't make you look unprofessional if they can't be contacted.

I don't have one for the same reason as saltire, btw, but I do have one on my mobile for tutoring and I wouldn't cope without that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now