... to think MN advertising ALCOHOL is absolutely irresponsible?

(200 Posts)
TurquoiseTranquility Thu 07-Feb-13 18:34:47

Just got my weekly 'parenting news' email from MN and was appalled to discover it features an advert of a "new lower alcohol" wine hmm. I never thought I was much of a snob (I'd hope not, anyway! confused) but I do think that for a family-oriented website to advertise alcohol is not just inappropriate, it's kind of hypocritical. Especially as some of MN users may be struggling with alcohol addiction, or being victims of their family members' drinking and related issues. I mean COME ON, a 5.5% alcohol wine isn't exactly some sort of an "alcohol replacement therapy" product angry! AIBU?

GetOrf Thu 07-Feb-13 19:10:16

Say crack cocaine for cats 5 times very fast. grin

RustyBear Thu 07-Feb-13 19:10:47

"Neither formula nor sugar being illegal or restricted products" - except that it is illegal to advertise formula in any way...

Mumsnet does take the views of its members into account when deciding what to advertise - and have rejected several potential advertisers because of such views, or because they are well aware that they would not fit with the site's ethos So you are perfectly at liberty to suggest an alcohol advertising ban, but I think this thread alone is a pretty strong indication of what the majority of members would think.

manicbmc Thu 07-Feb-13 19:11:52

Low alcohol wine is an abomination that affronts my sensibilities as a wine drinker.

Yabu. I never read those emails.

AgentZigzag Thu 07-Feb-13 19:12:10

They don't advertise beer because the people who use MN don't fit the demographics of beer drinkers.

Although there are more hairy handed truckers on here than the norm, so maybe they could cash in on that?

MrsGeologist Thu 07-Feb-13 19:12:13

YABU wine

AllYoursBabooshka Thu 07-Feb-13 19:12:59

Funny enough, I did a MN survey recently and one of the questions was "Would you have any problems with us advertising beer on the website?"

I said no of course but I think OPs head might explode if they started.

NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 07-Feb-13 19:13:16

I really reallt want some wine now sad

Ahh well. Will be home in 20 mins or so.

GetOrf Thu 07-Feb-13 19:13:20

I wonder what a cat on cocaine would look like.

<looks at cat running around the sofa in a frantic fashion>

Follyfoot Thu 07-Feb-13 19:13:21

OP I really dont get your argument.

Can I ask what bad thing is actually going to happen as a result of Mumsnet advertising low alcohol wine?

KeepingCalmAndPostingNicely Thu 07-Feb-13 19:13:59

Pssst. <<<whispers>>> I know a guy who's just had a shipment of cat cocaine in. It'll cost you though. [shifty]

FlouncingMintyy Thu 07-Feb-13 19:14:25

I believe this to be a thread of the upwinding variety.

Trills Thu 07-Feb-13 19:14:50

HomeEcoGnomist MNHQ are irresponsible for taking the marketing budget from a poor, trusting company trying to flog their gnat's piss to the least likely group of consumers to actually buy the stuff

We want proper wine. You can send the wine-like pink substance to that other website thanks.

wine

PickledInAPearTree Thu 07-Feb-13 19:15:23

I think we have stopped a "gap in the market"

Anyone fancy going in with me on dragons den?

BIWI Thu 07-Feb-13 19:15:46

Last time I checked, Mumsnet was saying it was 'by parents for parents'

Nothing to do with the rest of the family.

I think you sound a tiny bit unhinged, OP.

manicbmc Thu 07-Feb-13 19:15:46
PickledInAPearTree Thu 07-Feb-13 19:16:29

My cats just snook out with a note tucked into his collar.

AllYoursBabooshka Thu 07-Feb-13 19:16:53

Huge x post.

How odd is this? The MN survey asking that question then this thread talking about advertising beer.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 07-Feb-13 19:18:12

All this talk of booze and cold wines. & beers is very cruel to those of us up the flaming duff..

Maybe I can find some of that sugary formula though. Mm.

garlicblocks Thu 07-Feb-13 19:18:56

How on earth do you think MNHQ fund their gin habit, OP? Selling ads, that's how!

Moominlandmidwinter Thu 07-Feb-13 19:19:09

Have a biscuit and some wine.

garlicblocks Thu 07-Feb-13 19:20:09

Sugary formula would be like condensed milk, wouldn't it? Well, if you made it up thick enough smile

PickledInAPearTree Thu 07-Feb-13 19:20:14

Ban booze off mn. We can start brewing our own moonshine.

WilsonFrickett Thu 07-Feb-13 19:20:18

I think your use of capitals and smileys is irresponsible, save some for the rest of us eh?

Trills Thu 07-Feb-13 19:20:41

BIWI and random other adults who like to talk to vipers parents, right?

<needy>

TattyDevine Thu 07-Feb-13 19:22:38

wine wine wine wine wine
wine wine wine wine
wine wine wine wine
wine wine wine
wine wine wine
wine wine
wine wine
wine
wine
wine
wine
wine
wine
wine
wine
wine wine wine wine wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now