Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

... to think MN advertising ALCOHOL is absolutely irresponsible?

(200 Posts)
TurquoiseTranquility Thu 07-Feb-13 18:34:47

Just got my weekly 'parenting news' email from MN and was appalled to discover it features an advert of a "new lower alcohol" wine hmm. I never thought I was much of a snob (I'd hope not, anyway! confused) but I do think that for a family-oriented website to advertise alcohol is not just inappropriate, it's kind of hypocritical. Especially as some of MN users may be struggling with alcohol addiction, or being victims of their family members' drinking and related issues. I mean COME ON, a 5.5% alcohol wine isn't exactly some sort of an "alcohol replacement therapy" product angry! AIBU?

StickEmUp Thu 07-Feb-13 18:56:46

Im a recovering alcoholic and it wouldn't bother me.
Adverts are everywhere but id have t be stupid to by it!

Although low alk wine!
No point i prefer the hard stuff ..l. Or did!

atacareercrossroads Thu 07-Feb-13 18:56:53

Low alcohol wine? How pointless!!!

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 18:57:05

<aghast>

You're not telling me some of you actually drink? But you're parents [shocked]

Won't someone think of the children!

<goes to pour wine. Remembers am pg with hg. Throws up instead>

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 07-Feb-13 18:58:32

They should start tailoring adverts to threads:

Bumsex Fridays - Sponsored by KY Jelly
Bun Fights - Sponsored by Greggs

wibblyjelly Thu 07-Feb-13 18:58:44

JulesJules, you beat me to it!

FlorriesDragons Thu 07-Feb-13 18:59:31

But it's Mumsnet.

We love wine.

<whinge>

Isildur Thu 07-Feb-13 18:59:50

'Wednesday Nights - Sponsored by Nytol'

Oh come on, you can say cunt on here, it's hardly family orientated!

I'm more disgusted by the idea of low alcohol wine shock

NorbertDentressangle Thu 07-Feb-13 19:00:56

How can you use the argument that advertising alcohol is wrong as some people may be struggling with addiction or related issues?

In that case you can't advertise food as some people may have eating disorders, cleaning products because some people are slatterns, books because some people are dyslexic, shopping websites because some people have overdrafts and debts......

are you the parent who complained about alcohol being served at our infants school disco recently (only to the adultsgrin)? Just wanted to say, if we didn't have a bar at PTA events, no one would come you loon

YABU and ridiculous.

TurquoiseTranquility Thu 07-Feb-13 19:01:48

well ok, how would you feel about MN advertising baby formula with added sugar to promote better sleep? Neither formula nor sugar being illegal or "restricted" products. Or how about lipstick and high heels for 5-year olds, while at the same time campaigning for "girls to be girls"?

Yes sure it's a website for people who should be old enough to make choices but pushing folks into making potentially irresponsible choices is kind of strange, IMHO. I mean why don't they advertise low-nicotine cigarettes then? BTW 5.5% is about the strength of most lagers, so why not advertise beer?

Sure they've got to make their bit of profit but they do advertise lots of innocuous stuff so why not stick to that.

HomeEcoGnomist Thu 07-Feb-13 19:01:58

"three stops short of Dagenham" heh heh heh
Will be stealing this

YANBU OP - low alcohol wine is an ABOMINATION. I want to know about the proper stuff!

weegiemum Argentina Thu 07-Feb-13 19:04:03

I got a warning a few years ago from babyworld another site for protesting follow on milk advertising.

Seems MN is my home!

Isildur Thu 07-Feb-13 19:06:09

OP, those are stunningly bad comparisons.

I get the low alcohol wine/babies sleeping on formula false advertising thing, but otherwise it's a bit of a rubbish argument.

And there is nothing innocuous about bath towels at £65 a pop.
<wealth envy>

HomeEcoGnomist Thu 07-Feb-13 19:06:19

MNHQ are irresponsible for taking the marketing budget from a poor, trusting company trying to flog their gnat's piss to the least likely group of consumers to actually buy the stuff

Shameless

Pascha Thu 07-Feb-13 19:06:32

I wouldn't mind if they advertised beer.

I don't care what products MN advertise (wine or baby formula) as I consider myself and other people to be of sound enough intelligence to be able to make nmy own choices. I would be downright insulted if someone told me they thought I was incapable of not acting like a mindless consumer when presented with advertising.

dawntigga Thu 07-Feb-13 19:07:05

don't be so ridiculous and grow up.

PMSAndThisKindOfThreadDoNotMixWellTiggaxx

ouryve Thu 07-Feb-13 19:07:08

Cheers wine

Well lets see. Formula with added sugar to help a baby sleep doesn't exist does it?
And advertising lipstick for 5 year old girls, again does that advert exist? Or are you talking about banning all ads for make up in case a 5 year old girl sees it?

I just don't get the outrage. It's wine. It's available in every supermarket, shop etc. it's advertised on tv.

scottishmummy France Thu 07-Feb-13 19:08:03

I'm not bothered if mn advertise formula,or wine.people can. decide if want one,both or none

PickledInAPearTree Thu 07-Feb-13 19:08:38

How about advertising crack coccaine for cats?

The bastards!

GetOrf Thu 07-Feb-13 19:09:56

Oh fgs.

Stop being so ridiculous. And your comparisons simply do not make sense, seeing that formula with sugar doesn't exist, and I have never seen lipstick marketed to 5 year olds.

Grow up.

Isildur Thu 07-Feb-13 19:09:59

Hobgoblin ale/beer/whatever is very cool, if HQ are looking for things to promote.
And that Wytchwood stuff. Very spooky little glass bottles, it would really work around Halloween time, on the back of the spooky threads.

I'd write a review of that in return for a few bottles.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 07-Feb-13 19:10:05

Cat crack! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now