to be horrified at the names my daughter has given her children?

(165 Posts)

DD is 3.7 and has been playing mummies today. Apparently she has 2 babies.

The boy is called Egg-in-a-cup and the girl is called Ice-cream-in-a-cone. confused

The poor dears will be bullied mercilessly. And clearly they'll be held back by these names, I mean they're hardly the names of a doctor or a lawyer.

AIBU? grin

PickledInAPearTree Thu 07-Feb-13 20:11:23

joyful would you be terribly offended if I stole egg-in-a-cup?

It's just what I was looking for.

Feel free Pickled, I'm sure DD won't mind!

MrsMaryCooper Thu 07-Feb-13 20:16:35

All Ds's toys are Mr Badger Mr Bear Mr Big Cat Mr Little Dog etc.

No ladies, and always referred to as Mr. He called me sir for a little while, too.

Jeebs Thu 07-Feb-13 20:17:10

Has the thought about how well they will go with her last name?!

When my cuddly duck came into our lives was obvious that his name would not go with our old surname and we wanted something that would also include him in our family, whilst remaining true to his heritage and now Doug is very happy.

Signed
Mrs McDuck

ginmakesitallok Thu 07-Feb-13 20:19:19

Everything in our house gets called Lucy.

Molehillmountain Thu 07-Feb-13 20:19:31

Apparently my first grandchild is to be named bottom pop. You think you have problems, op?

VerlaineChasedRimbauds Thu 07-Feb-13 20:19:48

Apparently I was found cradling a six-inch nail wrapped in loo paper asking it tenderly: "is you asleep yet, little lord jesus mate?". I did have toys, it wasn't a case of "we lived in a shoe box".

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 07-Feb-13 20:20:02

I had very boring doll/teddy names as a child.

My brother and I did, however, have goldfish named Michael Jackson and She-Ra.

(I now have a fish phobia - must be some connection?)

PickledInAPearTree Thu 07-Feb-13 20:20:23

Little lord Jesus mate grin

poppy283 Thu 07-Feb-13 20:22:46

Dd has happyland people called lady, boy and green daddy.

When we were young my sisters and I would play creche with babies Kleenex, Cordelia and Saggy Bum.

Blessyou Thu 07-Feb-13 20:23:12

I had imaginary children, not friends. They were called Dungunts, Sit-Sit and Timmy. My imaginary DH was Chuck.
I once wailed on a bus, because a lady sat on Dungunts.
She shot up, a little peturbed.

I called my Sindy........ Rubella.

Fairylea Thu 07-Feb-13 20:27:18

Disappointed. Thought this was another terrible mother in law thread.

I even hoisted my boobs up and patted down my twinset ready to say your dds names of her children are nothing to do with you.

smile

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 07-Feb-13 20:27:53

DD had an imaginary mouse called KiKi, when she was 18months-2ish.

Was very embarrassing when KiKi disappeared during our weekly shop in Asda and DD insisted that I find it blush

We have Bob - a female cat teddy, and ds has two favourite little people animals, known as Nice Dog and Funny Dog.

I am very proud.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Thu 07-Feb-13 20:38:04

When I was five I had a small knitted bear called Inter-Stellar-Contact-Bear. She was dressed in a Robin Hood style outfit. I remember my parents being most peturbed. Fear not op, my kids have relatively normal names.

Verlaine that is outstanding!

Athrawes Thu 07-Feb-13 20:42:17

Wayne Bear

SanityClause Thu 07-Feb-13 20:45:51

When DD1 was little she had a dolly called Chocolatey.

When I was a teenager a kid, I thought it would be cool to have two kids, a girl and a boy, named Marley Cauldron and Leroy Pirate.

Marley Cauldron. Leroy Pirate

Oh dear.

DD is Niamh Elizabeth, I came to my senses.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 07-Feb-13 20:54:20

I think Niamh will be eternally grateful for your change of heart there Netto grin

SanityClause Thu 07-Feb-13 20:55:26

Also, DS had a best friend called Tom Williams (name changed, but equally normal name.) he used to want to call anything he owned Tom Williams.

For example, "if I had an elephant, I would call it Tom Williams."

Once he was walking past Build a Bear with his nanny, and wanted to make one. She said no, because he'd call it Tom Williams. He tried to compromise by saying he would call it Lightening McQueen Williams, instead. Or possibly Tom McQueen. She was having none of it!

Neena28 Thu 07-Feb-13 20:59:34

Dd has a teddy called Jeremy. He is a he according to dd but always sports an outfit that is as frilly and pink as can possibly be.

My mother is convinced this is my fault as I am always being too 'pc' with the children.

I find it cute and couldn't care less!!! She's happy and Jeremy is treated better than most teddies I have ever known!!

HoneyStepMummy Thu 07-Feb-13 21:00:29

When my DSS was 5 I gave him 2 stuffed animals for Valentine's Day. He promptly named the slighty butch bulldog Dora. The fluffy white poodle was named Tomato (pronounced Thom-Ada). He also has a monkey called Player who's best friend's with another monkey called Jackie the Fart

smellsofsick Thu 07-Feb-13 21:11:25

Marriedinwhite we thought we might have a Christmas Day baby and were quite prepared to call him Herod

In the end he was a she and arrived a bit early. We decided against DD1's suggestion of Cat Bic Bics though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now