To insist that DSIL keeps her exotic pets in her room

(27 Posts)
Ullena Thu 07-Feb-13 16:15:01

My DSIL is coming to live with us temporarily whilst she house hunts. She will pay for her food and utilities, and we have agreed to drive her wherever she needs to go if she can't get a taxi.

Background: DSIL has some issues, can be hard to live with, and likes me because I always call her on it and expect her to wise up. She has been living with her parents until now. DPIL are over the moon as it means they will now have a spare bedroom where their grandchildren can stay over...

Anyway. DSIL has some exotic pets. Spiders, scorpions, snakes, small lizards. AIBU to insist that she keeps them in her own room whilst staying with us, and refuse to allow them to be brought downstairs?

It's mainly the snakes; she takes them out to handle them and carries them around. Two are python types, the others are smaller; corns and so forth.

Ofc YANBU she is lucky you are allowing them in your home!

Ullena Thu 07-Feb-13 16:21:50

Cheers, just wanted to be sure I was being fair! I don't mind the snakes but our cats would just think "wahey, dinner!"...and we can guess how that would end.

NatashaBee Thu 07-Feb-13 16:23:00

YANBU (and I used to keep reptiles). They can carry Salmonella. Are you aware that the lizards eat crickets (which chirp all bloody night) and the snakes will eat frozen mice that will need to live in your freezer?

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 07-Feb-13 16:23:56

Of course you're not unreasonable! I wouldn't have a problem with the lizards and might be able to tolerate the (big) snakes, but spiders and scorpions! shock Just having having them in the house would be enough for me! <shudders>

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Thu 07-Feb-13 16:24:22

YADNBU They wouldn't make it into my house.

Ullena Thu 07-Feb-13 16:29:44

The mice are going in the freezer with the dog meat, she will have a mini fridge in her room to defrost them in smile

Ah yes...the crickets. And the locusts. Oh dear lord, how did I forget those little guys? And some of them always escape too. Cats will have a field day...

YANBU - I wouldn't let them through the front door.

I really don't understand why anyone would want a spider for a pet! Still, horses for courses and all that but no, def not for me and not in my house....

Ullena Thu 07-Feb-13 16:31:06

I wonder if she still has the goliath...

<shudder>

there is NO WAY the spiders would be allowed in my house so no, YANBU at all

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 07-Feb-13 16:32:41

As someone has already mentioned reptiles tend to carry salmonella, so if your DCs are handling them make sure they follow proper hygiene.

Ullena Thu 07-Feb-13 16:36:28

No DCs here. Although one of my nieces adores the DSIL's little band of exotics and always wants to visit her aunty's snakes and spiders. Thankfully DSIL is very fussy when it comes to caring for them. Hygiene is big with her.

sooperdooper Thu 07-Feb-13 16:40:01

I think it's fine, and remind her as well that it's actually for her pets benefit too, or they'll end up as cat food smile

Ullena Thu 07-Feb-13 16:51:35

Lol, more worried the cats would get swallowed!

Midori1999 Thu 07-Feb-13 17:51:34

It would take quite a large snake to eat a cat, its far more likely the cat would kill a snake tbh, but DSIL may be assuming the animals would be in her room anyway?

Her room is probably safer as air fresheners or anything similar you use can be poisonous to reptiles and arachnids.

Ullena Thu 07-Feb-13 18:38:15

She likes to carry the snakes about with her sometimes. I have told her not to bring them downstairs and she has agreed to this smile

One of the pythons is definitely big enough to manage two of our cats (the two runty ones), but yes, we don't want any of the pets involved being harmed.

Inertia Thu 07-Feb-13 19:49:17

I'd be insisting that they lived in a room in somebody else's house TBH.

If you are willing to let her keep them in her room she should be bloody grateful.

Scootee Thu 07-Feb-13 19:55:18

Hell's fucking teeth!!!

Errr I don't know what to write, I am so horrified!

ZZZenAgain Thu 07-Feb-13 19:58:32

garden shed. Might speed up the house hunting.

You are kind, I don't think I would take all that on

DeepRedBetty Thu 07-Feb-13 20:00:00

Yanbu. Apart from anything else, even the cleanest reptile/invertebrate enclosures smell!

Was so pleased when I discovered that children under five aren't meant to be in contact with reptiles and thus was finally able to persuade dp to rehome his snakes.

Am I the only weirdo that would love all those* in the house, as long as someone else was taking care of them? grin

* Apart from the spiders, you can keep those!!!

enjoyinglife Thu 07-Feb-13 20:43:34

Yanbu. I am also concerned about your open offer of taxiing her about. I predict a future thread about being an unpaid taxi....

Ullena Fri 08-Feb-13 13:06:52

Having learnt from bitter experience, I always insist on petrol money up front and 24 hours notice for long journies that are not emergencies...

blackeyedsusan Fri 08-Feb-13 13:14:42

any spider out of her room would be hoovered...

Ullena Fri 08-Feb-13 13:19:01

They are too big for the hoover. You know, those huge hairy ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now