To think some mums are being very nasty about DDs birthday

(123 Posts)
atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:27:46

My DD will be six soon and will be having a party. I made some invitations for her to hand out in school and put in a lovely poem:

It's my birthday soon
Six I will be
I'd like you to come
and join the par-tee.

I have dolls, I have books,
I have crayons galore,
I have so much lego,
It covers the floor.

So when you are coming,
To my birthday bash,
Please don't bring presents
Just give me some cash.

Some of the mums have been very shirty with me at the school gates and a few have sent snooty notes saying their DCs won't be at the party.

AIBU to think some people are very rude and should be delighted and honoured that their children have been invited to share DD's special day. angry

atthewelles Fri 08-Feb-13 10:15:32

I've just got a horrible reply back from one of the mums:

Thanks for your invite
Demanding our brass.
I found it quite rude,
And I found it quite crass.

So I'm writing to say
You can just go to heck.
You've enough brass already,
around your hard neck.

I mean, really! angry

WilsonFrickett Fri 08-Feb-13 10:19:09

Well REALLY! That is quite shocking ^. Don't they ^want to be part of your DD's special day?
Have you thought about one of those special gift websites where you can specify how much money you'd like by pretending you'll spend it on specific things? Like, £25 for lunch, £40 for the boat trip etc. I'm just a teeny bit anxious some people might bring you a £2 coin - and that's not really acceptable, is it?

grin

Blizzardofbuzzards Fri 08-Feb-13 10:59:33

Brilliant! grin

WhatKindofFool Fri 08-Feb-13 11:14:35

She is obviously just jealous. How rude of her.

charlottehere Fri 08-Feb-13 11:17:45

HA, I must try and fund a family holiday through my Dcs b'days. grin

pigletmania Fri 08-Feb-13 11:32:11

Ha ha good wind up grin

atthewelles Fri 08-Feb-13 11:38:35

That's what DH thinks Whatkind. He reckons she's jealous of my poetic talent. <Can't blame her really>

FreshLeticia Fri 08-Feb-13 12:01:53

Arf @ this fred about a fred.
Having said that, I have been known to provide five shiny pound coins in a sparkly bag as birthday presents. I sort of firgured that eight year olds might like to choose something and it got me out of a hole because I had forgotten to get a present grin
I always shine the coins with brasso so they look special and I think five pounds is more than enough to spend.

EyesCrossedLegsAkimbo Fri 08-Feb-13 12:21:24

atthewelles you should ask to see the parents tax returns before inviting the children, just in case you don't get your moneys worth.

grin

jeee Fri 08-Feb-13 12:28:20

atthewelles, I'm concerned that you're inviting the grandparents. I mean, it's obvious your parents have to come, but your MIL is bound to bring junky presents, or otherwise take over. Please tell your MIL she is not welcome. After all, it's your day.

Figureof80 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:58:03

Eyescrossed's comment on taxes is very sensible, in fact there could be a few extra verses........

And for those of you
Hit by high rate taxes
Please sign Gift Aid
To pay for my waxes.

atthewelles Fri 08-Feb-13 14:06:02

I'm thinking of swiping their credit cards on arrival. Then I can debit any outstanding amounts if people try to sneak off without paying.

MIL has offered to make the birthday cake.angry Typical of her, trying to take over and be in charge.

Quick tell me which other thread to look at. This HAS to be a joke!

Thumbwitch Fri 08-Feb-13 14:13:59

Very good, atthewelles. Your scansion is particularly appalling appropriate! grin

Your MIL wants to make the birthday cake? How bloody entitled of her! Wait, who was that poster who makes birthday cakes, the minnie mouse ones - you could ask her to do it for you for free with no notice. wink

stormforce10 Fri 08-Feb-13 14:15:29

I love this thread. YANBU OP. Appalling manners displayed by some of those mums

Last year dd got invited to a party and on the invite was written "no presents please but Prunella would like ballet classes so all donations gratefully accepted in box by the door". Seriously (except I've changed the girls name obviously). Sadly DD couldn't go but I heard afterwards there really was a box!!

FruitOwl Fri 08-Feb-13 14:15:33

Brilliant! Particularly like your use of par-tee OP grin

FruitOwl Fri 08-Feb-13 14:17:13

Ps when I get married, will you help me compose my grabby poem for the invitation please?

atthewelles Fri 08-Feb-13 14:23:08

Of course I will FruitOwl. Naturally, being grabby myself I will charge you a fee plus royalties.

And my scansion is perfect Thumbwitch. I'm Irish so you have to read it in a slightly sing song way to get the rhythm.Think W.B Yeats or Seamus Heaney. I write a bit like a combination of them. <modest and deluded>

Bluestocking Fri 08-Feb-13 14:51:21

Ahem. Have you told the mums of invited children how much weight each of them will need to lose before they can attend the destination party? You don't want any fat kids ruining your photos.

atthewelles Fri 08-Feb-13 15:10:36

I've drawn up the guest list very carefully Bluestocking

No fat kids or plain kids wrecking the photos

No stunningly beautiful kids overshadowing DD

Her two best friends can wear dresses nearly as nice as DDs to show she has friends with good taste, but not quite as nice to make sure everyone knows who is the centre of attention and the most important person in the room

Somethingtothinkabout Fri 08-Feb-13 15:11:17

Haha atthewelles, sitting on a train, on my own, and just laughed out loud repeatedly and look like a dope!

I'd just read the other thread through (loooong journey) and so found this one hilair grin

DizzyZebra Fri 08-Feb-13 15:14:29

Vom

BeCool Fri 08-Feb-13 15:18:06

Sorry OP, but DD can't make your par-tee as she is attending a sleep over par-tee at Hamleys.

Poor your DD missing out ....... (sob face). Nevermind - hope she gets lots of cash anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now