To think some mums are being very nasty about DDs birthday

(123 Posts)
atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:27:46

My DD will be six soon and will be having a party. I made some invitations for her to hand out in school and put in a lovely poem:

It's my birthday soon
Six I will be
I'd like you to come
and join the par-tee.

I have dolls, I have books,
I have crayons galore,
I have so much lego,
It covers the floor.

So when you are coming,
To my birthday bash,
Please don't bring presents
Just give me some cash.

Some of the mums have been very shirty with me at the school gates and a few have sent snooty notes saying their DCs won't be at the party.

AIBU to think some people are very rude and should be delighted and honoured that their children have been invited to share DD's special day. angry

CloudsAndTrees Thu 07-Feb-13 16:16:51

People that have had the cheek to ask for cash to gain entry to their weddings money as a wedding gift, need to read this thread!

See how awful it sounds?. It isn't ok for a child's birthday party, and it isn't ok for a wedding!! No matter how much you want to convince yourself it is ok, it will always remain vulgar.

steppemum Thu 07-Feb-13 16:16:52

Oh go on - link the other thread (or at least tell its title)

RobinSparkles Thu 07-Feb-13 16:17:59

Maybe you should let old people come, OP? Old people are often more generous so you'll get more money!

A photograph of your DD on the beach for a thank you card is a genius idea.

I can't believe that the mums at the school gate are being nasty. They are rude, just ignore them and invite someone else!

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Thu 07-Feb-13 16:18:47

grin

CoughCough Thu 07-Feb-13 16:19:10

You must ban old people from coming.

atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 16:21:05

Stepemum I don't know how to do links but its called something like 'I detest poems looking for cash presents' and is still on page one of AIBU.

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Thu 07-Feb-13 16:22:47
HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Thu 07-Feb-13 16:24:34

Have you sent instructions to the parents of her three very best friends, to ensure they buy there dds matching dresses or them from Monsoon at £50.00 a pop that are nearly as nice as hers? Do not let them come in their own party dresses.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Thu 07-Feb-13 16:25:46

I don't think it counts as a TAAT, because naff poems asking for money for weddings are a perennial gripe, they are not restricted to any particular thread (I haven't even read the latest, because the title alone told me all I needed to know). FWIW I don't even mind giving cash as a gift, it's just the poems that make me stabby.

pingu2209 Thu 07-Feb-13 16:28:25

If my child had an invite such as this, no matter what effort when into the poem and however twee it may be, I would be really pissed off. Many people go to the pound shop for presents - so the cash would be £1 possibly £3 at a push.

You are very rude.

WireCatWhore Thu 07-Feb-13 16:33:34

Is a genius idea. Then you can see who the most generous parents are & be better friends with them.
I bet some buggers will give a gift card. wink

Karoleann Thu 07-Feb-13 16:36:16

We moved to a new school recently and had an invite with £please written on it, I actually thought it was a typo on the invite. But no, it's seems to be done quite a lot, not really my cup of tea, but it saves buying a pressie.

Apparently you give a pound per year, so a 6 year old gets £6 etc

simplesusan Thu 07-Feb-13 16:39:50

Oh this is a great idea. Lots of helpful tips from other posters too.
May I also suggest that the event is held far enough away, at a most inconvenient time, so as to ensure that parents cannot drop off and leave children.
Please make sure that food and drinks are not included and are priced outrageously so that all involved are totally skint afterwards.
Yes to a dress code-obviously clothing that noone will alredy own.
Yes to a water theme without letting the guests know in advance.
Yes to insisting that everyone traipse outside regardless of the weather for something uninteresting that the host simply has to share.
Yes to opening all cards in the presence of guests so as to add maximum embarrasment to those scroungers who break the rules of your fabulous poem.

FlorriesDragons Thu 07-Feb-13 16:45:40

Wouldn't bother me. Would rather get the host something they actually want than yet another "thoughtfully chosen" toaster toy which they will receive at least three of...

WhatKindofFool Fri 08-Feb-13 07:50:48

Does anyone know the going rate of a £££ present these days?

Pendipidy Fri 08-Feb-13 07:56:00

Why do people put up stupid made up threads. It is just trolling and annoying. Have reported you, op .

ZillionChocolate Fri 08-Feb-13 08:29:30

Pendipidy - it's because they think it's funny. So do plenty of other people.
HTH

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 08-Feb-13 08:36:59

You know that story you were told about three people of varying ethnicities going to the pub Pendipidy? I think that may have been a lie shock. And when Tommy Cooper hurt himself walking into an iron bar and you were really sympathetic and everyone else laughed heartlessly? ANOTHER LIE.

Trills Fri 08-Feb-13 08:44:45

Doing links is not hard.

It tell you how to do it just below the box that you type in.

YorkshireDeb Fri 08-Feb-13 08:53:14

pendipidy - because it doesn't have to be true to spark off an interesting discussion. And made up ops can often be very entertaining reading. I always thought it was fine to ask for cash as a wedding present (although I agree that the cheesy poems are really annoying) but this thread makes me think more deeply about my opinions in a lighthearted way. I don't see why that's a problem. Think I'd only be upset if I discovered a serious sounding 'my dp is a tosser' type thread was made up. X

DelGirl Fri 08-Feb-13 08:57:52

someone I vaguely know was given a surprise party by their relative. On the invite they said that people should not by presents but that they would like a £15 donation towards giving her a holiday. Needless to say, I didn't go. Such a cheek!

DelGirl Fri 08-Feb-13 08:59:49

*buy!

fuzzysnout Fri 08-Feb-13 09:43:46

ur party, ur rules OP.
Could you not have a Venture photo session for DD at the party though, then your guests will get the joy of watching. You could offer them a discounted rate to buy the pictures.

Flobbadobs Fri 08-Feb-13 09:59:40

An invite like that would be an excellent chance to raid the change jar. A big bag of 2pence pieces and a colouring book and crayons for the birthday girl grin

I was once given somones change gar as a birthday gift Flobbadobs. It was my 5th or 6th birthday I think. My fivers worth of 1p's was my favorite gift that year grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now