To think some mums are being very nasty about DDs birthday

(123 Posts)
atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:27:46

My DD will be six soon and will be having a party. I made some invitations for her to hand out in school and put in a lovely poem:

It's my birthday soon
Six I will be
I'd like you to come
and join the par-tee.

I have dolls, I have books,
I have crayons galore,
I have so much lego,
It covers the floor.

So when you are coming,
To my birthday bash,
Please don't bring presents
Just give me some cash.

Some of the mums have been very shirty with me at the school gates and a few have sent snooty notes saying their DCs won't be at the party.

AIBU to think some people are very rude and should be delighted and honoured that their children have been invited to share DD's special day. angry

Greensleeves Thu 07-Feb-13 15:52:50

can someone link to the fred this is a fred about? It sounds funny grin

You think you are being funny? One of DDs school friends was moving back to Pakistan and had a leaving party where they requested no presents as they would not have room for them in their luggage, so just bring cash. shock

I was very mean and took a small teddy and a pen.

Mind you, they were back within 6 months as the children didn't settle.

WhatKindofFool Thu 07-Feb-13 15:53:15

Can I have the link to the other thread please? I could do with some ideas for wedding presents.

RobinSparkles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:53:30

YANBU. I would specify no less than £10 though, otherwise you'll get some stingy sod sellotaping a quid to the back of a card!

GetOrf Thu 07-Feb-13 15:53:30

Very funny grin

It does make you realise how ridiculous grandiosely overplanned weddings are.

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 07-Feb-13 15:54:27

I can't quite decide whether it would be a child- or adult-free party. Maybe nobody over the age of 45? Just in case?

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 07-Feb-13 15:56:03

Have you considered holding the party abroad? Some people might complain, but if they are real friends they will make the effort.

atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:56:03

meddie we are definitely considering having a 'destination' party for her next year. Preferably on a Tues or Wed so everyone will have to take a couple of days off school. We are looking into really out of the way, difficult to get to, locations that will look super in the photographs.

May I suggest Nepal?

Psammead Thu 07-Feb-13 15:57:02

Dont forget to take loads of set-up picture of the guests which you can then sell at40 quid a pop.

Abra1d Thu 07-Feb-13 15:57:07

biscuit

ENormaSnob Thu 07-Feb-13 15:57:29

It's ur day tho hun.

Ignore the haterz, they are jus wel jel.

HecateWhoopass Thu 07-Feb-13 15:58:44

Nicely done.

Good point well made.

atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:58:44

We are thinking of allowing her GPs to come, but no other old people. They will just start chatting to each other during the speeches or leave their walking sticks lying around for everyone to trip over.

meddie Thu 07-Feb-13 15:59:50

That sounds fab attewelles. I,m sure they will feel absolutely honoured to be invited and should make every effort to accomodate this

Trills Thu 07-Feb-13 16:00:09

Only posting because... you know the rest.

Poor MNHQ. I hope they don't think well expect rhymes.

GetOrf Thu 07-Feb-13 16:00:11

I absolutely love the poem in the op - par-tee grin

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 07-Feb-13 16:00:21

I assume there will be two parts to the party - one for the really good friends and one for the others?

Could you not have a special room for the oldies and hire someone to lead a sing a long? I'm sure everyone over the age of 50 will love that.

GetOrf Thu 07-Feb-13 16:01:06

I think a lot of people would think such a poem was a super idea, though.

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 07-Feb-13 16:01:48

You could send all the old people on a trip to see the Lion King. wink

meddie Thu 07-Feb-13 16:03:27

just spat my coffee out ThevermiciousKnid. AIBU to ask you to replace the damaged keyboard?

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 07-Feb-13 16:05:26

You wouldn't be unreasonable to ask, meddie, but it ain't going to happen. grin Maybe you could hold a dinner party soon and ask people to bring cash instead of wine/flowers/chocolates, to go towards a new keyboard? [helpful]

ErikNorseman Thu 07-Feb-13 16:12:01

This is excellent smile please don't delete it HQ!

meddie Thu 07-Feb-13 16:12:18

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now