Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think some mums are being very nasty about DDs birthday

(123 Posts)
atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:27:46

My DD will be six soon and will be having a party. I made some invitations for her to hand out in school and put in a lovely poem:

It's my birthday soon
Six I will be
I'd like you to come
and join the par-tee.

I have dolls, I have books,
I have crayons galore,
I have so much lego,
It covers the floor.

So when you are coming,
To my birthday bash,
Please don't bring presents
Just give me some cash.

Some of the mums have been very shirty with me at the school gates and a few have sent snooty notes saying their DCs won't be at the party.

AIBU to think some people are very rude and should be delighted and honoured that their children have been invited to share DD's special day. angry

tiggerishtom Thu 07-Feb-13 15:34:53

I would be a bit hmm at the cash request, but I don't think I'd stop my child going to the party because of it though....

DeepRedBetty Thu 07-Feb-13 15:35:01

xposted with OP.

Sod Spain, go the whole hog - Caribbean here we come!

Maybe you could go one better and send all the povo's a picture of you all on your hols.

You just know how grateful they'd be, right?

spanky2 England Thu 07-Feb-13 15:37:10

Now I realise this is a joke.

Mumof1secondonway Thu 07-Feb-13 15:37:21

personally if was asked by parents I'd suggest holiday vouchers (like with Thompson if that's who you were travelling with) or other vouchers and the dosh they saved put THAT towards the holiday. Just money is a tad rude. I have given family members Euros for holidays when I asked what to get nephews for their birthday but I asked!

PhilMcAverty Thu 07-Feb-13 15:37:22

grin

I suppose you also used a poem when you got married as well eh OP?

atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:38:17

We thought of putting a list in Hamley's but then decided money would be much more useful than a load of toys she doesn't need. I thought people would be delighted not to have to go to the bother of thinking of what to get her. sad

I would buy crayons just to piss you off !!

Psammead Thu 07-Feb-13 15:39:13

YANBU. I think though that it would be a pity that your DD had no gifts to open on the day. Specify that the notes have to be giftwrapped in interesting and exciting ways for her, not just stuffed into a card all willy-nilly like. Or perhaps presented like origami.

adkinsfamily Thu 07-Feb-13 15:40:00

tradition is presents.
it's 2013!
people wouldn't act funny if you said gift cards!
society is so judgmental...ugh. esp. most women, I hate to be a woman and have to be honest and say that. but it's true!
cash,presents who cares as long as they have fun!

Oh definitely op. And maybe you could charge per slice of birthday cake? grin

atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:40:17

Actually Laurie we were thinking of having a nice snap taken on the beach of DD eating ice cream in the sun and then using it as a thank you card when we got home. I'm trying to think of another tasteful poem to put on the back of it.

ENormaSnob Thu 07-Feb-13 15:41:24

grin

soverylucky Thu 07-Feb-13 15:42:52

this is about the wedding lists isn't it?

grin

MolehillAlchemy Thu 07-Feb-13 15:42:59

You'll have to invite a lot of kids to get the holiday paid for - jelly bill alone could wipe the flights out. Maybe another verse of the poem that specifies a minimum spend of say £20?

adkinsfamily Thu 07-Feb-13 15:43:07

my kids would much rather have money and gift ards so they can get what they want.
I wish I would have had that option when I was a kid!
crappy gifts that you never asked for by your 60yr old aunt would have been resolved by cash.

Psammead Thu 07-Feb-13 15:43:15

No no no to charging for cake. Get them to do a little light housework in exchange for cake. Much more civilised.

atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:45:40

I've also requested that none of the other guests wear pink, so DD can stand out. I overheard one of the mums callling her a childzilla. How very unkind.

Ok psamm my etiquette stands corrected. So dusting = normal slice, hoovering = slice with extra icing? That could work nicely - have party, make mess, kids clear up and receive party bag in return then clear off

Clean bathrooms = bit with peppa pigs face on

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Thu 07-Feb-13 15:48:40

I've always found that you can slip the party bill split x ways very easily into the party bag with a few sweeties. grin

givemeaclue Thu 07-Feb-13 15:51:09

Please rest link to other thread!

Love this one!

Suggest siblings welcome for a £15 minimum "donation"

WhatKindofFool Thu 07-Feb-13 15:52:10

When I was 18 I was invited to a party where the dress code was black and white so that the host and her close friends could show off their tans as they had recently been on a trip to Ibiza. So, yes, the pink dress is a fabulous idea. In fact, I'd go one further and tell the others that the dress code is crocs, jeggings and a t shirt.

meddie Thu 07-Feb-13 15:52:44

Have you considered holding the party in the middle of nowhere that costs £40 on the train and then thoughtfully arranging a discount with a nearby hotel for only £120 a night (instead of the usual £125)
Another brilliant idea is asking guests to come themed, ie old glamour or black and white. I,m sure they will love the opportunity to fork out more cash and buy themselves a nice outfit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now