(56 Posts)
Hullygully Thu 07-Feb-13 13:27:09

Serious question.

When people say MIL wants X but I don't or friend wants a lift or etc etc

people constantly say: your wedding, your rules
your house, your rules
your child, your rules
your car, fuck them

What happened to simple kindness and putting other people first? Has there really been a sea change in attitude, or do I just not come across it in RL?

ginslinger Thu 07-Feb-13 15:38:59

I'm trying not to sound like a goody two shoes here but I decided ages ago that I would do a random act of kindness at least once a day and I would mile at people. It makes me happy and people respond nicely and I ignore tha baggages

ginslinger Thu 07-Feb-13 15:39:15

Smile not mile

Pandemoniaa Thu 07-Feb-13 15:41:22

YANBU. My ex-h used to bang on about the Cult of the Individual. He had a point though. Somewhere along the line, self-importance seems to have overcome thoughtfulness to others.

EarnestDullard Thu 07-Feb-13 15:44:40

Agree usual, there's often a backlash against 'fluffiness' on here which can all-too-easily veer into harshness.

chocoluvva Thu 07-Feb-13 15:47:02

individualistic or their individual familyistic.

It's now apparently acceptable for politicians to put the needs of their own children before political principles eg choice of school. Talk about having your cake and eating it. Is it a principle or isn't it?

MadameOvary Thu 07-Feb-13 16:02:09

I'm with Maya Angelou who said "Always be wary of a naked man who offers you a shirt" I'd actually rather someone was selfish than gave something they didn't have, IYKWIM.
I used to constantly give stuff away, since I was a kid. I wanted people to like me and didn't have a sense of my own self-worth. I do now though. So I still give stuff away but I don't offer myself on a plate anymore. I am kind though. If someone asks me a favour and I can do it, I will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now