To want to hunt down and inflict (lots of) pain on anyone who hurts children??

(34 Posts)
forcedinsomnia Thu 07-Feb-13 13:25:56

RANT ALERT
I have just been brought to tears by an article on The Sun online about a Nanny who has beaten a child in her care. I didn't click on the link to read it beacuse it would make me feel sick.....but there is an image on the main page which was enough to make me want to find that horrid vile piece of crap of a woman and do the same to her.....and much much more!!!!
Why do they put these images on the front page. I know it's news but who wants to actually see that.
I AM FUMING!!!!!!!!angry sad

forcedinsomnia Thu 07-Feb-13 14:22:02

Thank you Mrs....I'm not a monster....just a unreasonable I guess.

OxfordBags Thu 07-Feb-13 15:09:00

It's understandable to be totally upset and enraged, BUT can you not see the irony of feeling violent and wishing to inflict violence on someone for the horrible crime of... inflicting violence?! You being violent makes you almost as bad as her. She choose to hurt a child, you would choose to hurt an adult, neither is an admirable, rational or mature choice of action. Her instinctive reaction to a child was violence, your instinctive reaction to reading about her was violence. I often worry that people who have such a dramatically intense reaction to stuff like this are reacting to an unconscious recognition of something similar within themselves. An intense reaction is normal, but to feel moved to violence is... An issue.

wineandroses Thu 07-Feb-13 15:20:09

I think it is a natural reaction to be upset at such a dreadful story. Some of the stories that I read on here are very upsetting. I read a thread today about how some MNetters were treated as children and it was heart-breaking to think that adults could be so cruel to their own children. My reaction to such stories is definitely more intense (and tearful) now that I have DC of my own. There is a feeling that you want to protect all children from such harm.

countrykitten Thu 07-Feb-13 15:27:08

YABU - leave it to the police and focus on being as good a person as you can be.

Whereas I understand people being upset about violence to children / animals I will never understand the vigilante mob mentality that we so often see. I'm not suggesting that OP is one of these, but when you see people crowding outside a courthouse shouting abuse at the van holding the suspect for whatever crime, it makes me feel pretty sick.

Or that bloke who made a sick joke on Twitter about I can't remember what and had to go into hiding as a mob turned up to his house. It's not for anyone to go after people who hurt /kill / joke about children and stoop to their level.

Sorry, that was off topic I guess.

Mumindoha Thu 07-Feb-13 15:31:17

YANBU for getting angry and you don't need a shrink. I think it is a natural reaction especially as a mum...if anyone hurt my children I would want to hurt them that's for sure

50shadesofknackered Thu 07-Feb-13 15:55:34

I completely understand where u r coming from op. I was so upset yesterday after reading an article about a man who drunkenly bit his 5 month old baby's nose and lip off shock sad angry I think it was in India and he had just beaten up her mother and 3 year old sister, the commotion apparantly woke her up and she started crying. She died. So yes, I agree with you

LadyFlumpalot Thu 07-Feb-13 16:14:55

I'd happily hunt down and kneecap anyone who hurt my child. I'm not perfect, and I know the answer to violence isn't more violence, but I'm also a mother. There is a reason why you don't get inbetween a bear and her cubs, or a cow and her calves.

I feel strongly about other children, but not to the extent I feel about my own son.

coocooboohoo Thu 07-Feb-13 18:56:54

I understand that reacting with violence may be seen as unreasonable and wrong. But the child/baby is defenseless, she isn't.....she's clearly disturbed and sick in the head.....big difference if you ask me.
I don't think the op ever said she was going to hunt her down.....just that that is what she felt like doing. Iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now