AIBU to feel angry at school?

(29 Posts)
TwinkleTwunt Thu 07-Feb-13 12:37:53

Would you be angry if you had signed a permission slip to say that you would drive your 9 year old DD to a match at another school - only to arrive at school, to find that DD had already left, and been allowed to go in another parent's car to the match?

The teacher who organised match wasn't at school that afternoon, and so no one else really knew what was happening.

HT rang me next day, and explained that DD's teacher had told the team the day before, they would all travel in this one parent's car, and so they should let their parents know. HT said that as DD was in Yr 5, the teacher assumed she was responsible enough to pass on messages to home.

Obviously, DD didn't tell me.

HT then went on to say, that she and the teacher had questioned DD, who said she hadn't known about the travel changes. Her teacher insisted DD had known because she had been present when the team were told. DD kept repeating that she hadn't know (knowing DD, she probably wasn't playing attention), but then eventually she admitted she was lying.

The HT said she, and the teacher, then told DD off for lying, and that this was serious as it could get the school into trouble. HT told me that DD had been very upset, but everything was fine now. And, that now they knew DD was forgetful and unreliable, they would take more care in future.

When DD came home, I tackled her and she got very upset again, and isnsisted she hadn't known and had only admitted to lying, because the HT and teacher kept saying that was what she was doing, and she just wanted them to stop and to get out of the HT's office.

Whether DD was/wasn't lying or whether she did/didn't know isn't really the point is it?

I just don't think the school relying on 9 year old children to pass on important information is either safe or sensible -and I think it shows poor safe-guarding procedures. The school have both mine, and DH's mobile numbers and emails, and obviously our home phone number - so can't understand why they didn't confirm anything with us.

Neither was it explained why, if the teacher who was in charge of it all, wasn't at school that afternoon,no one else has been designated to be in charge of the team/transport etc.

ihearsounds Thu 07-Feb-13 16:19:11

I would be pissed because I didnt give consent for my child to be another persons car. I dont know if that person has proper insurance to be transporting a team around. I would also want to know how many were in that car. I would want to know about relevent crb checks, and a trusted parent is not a good enough reason. I would want to see their safe guarding policy, becuase their policy seems shite.

THey are trying to cover themselves, but regardless they have failed because htey did not have your consent and possibly other breaches. This needs to be addressed properly.

notfarmingatthemo Thu 07-Feb-13 16:46:42

As well as every thing ihearsounds said I would also what to know my child was sat in a car seat. My dd is in year 6 but still needs to sit on one. And you can't trust the children to know if they do or don't need one. The school should ask if they use one in own car on a slip and then check any children who look like they should be on them as the school should abide by the law

mrsbunnylove Thu 07-Feb-13 18:16:54

i don't know how primary schools get away with this 'send a child with someone else's parent' stuff. no. put a stop to it.

Wereonourway Thu 07-Feb-13 18:19:40

My main concern here is the fact they have bollocked your dd for not passing in a message which is wholly their responsibility.
Your poor ds, bad organisation, terrible communication.
I'd be asking for a meeting with the head and the teacher and demanding an apology for your dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now