To think Caitlin Moran is an MNer

(111 Posts)
Softlysoftly Thu 07-Feb-13 12:35:10

She only got to Page 35 before mentioning Greggs sausage rolls.

Come on out yourself.

GrandPoohBah Fri 08-Feb-13 15:01:17

I love your sentiment re. your 3yo, DJC. I feel like that about DH sometimes too.

It's ok, he understands. Santa He bought me a mug which says 'Go Away, I'm Reading' on it for Christmas, it was my favourite present!

Trills, if you've read most of CM's stuff in the Times (tv reviews, CW plus column) and have a memory, I wouldn't buy the book. I felt a bit shafted to be honest - I already pay to get past the paywall and then I paid again to read articles I'd already seen.

ubik Fri 08-Feb-13 15:02:32

I don't actually mind that RC doesn't want children and would rather read a book or even that she doesn't like children (if that's what she said) why should she?

I think she is a good writer and interviewer. I like reading her stuff.

Southeastdweller Fri 08-Feb-13 18:03:48

I like Janice Turner, though some of her columns are boring. I prefer her articles and the one she did last year on being old, in which she disguised herself as an elderly day was extremely powerful.

I also like Rachel Cooke and was at a theatre Q&A she was at last night where the playwright she was interviewing got quite unnecessarily snippy...felt quite sorry for her. I wish she'd write more.

Went off Barbara Ellen after she criticised Jane Horrocks in 2011 which reeked of inverse snobbery.

I used to like Allison Pearson when she did Late Review in the 90's but her reactionary views later on in the papers got on my wick and I Don't Know She Does It was shite.

limitedperiodonly Fri 08-Feb-13 19:13:42

Zoe Williams's professionally distracted act drives me potty. As does her use of obscure words to show how brainy she is. Her favourite is otiose. I had to look it up. Yes, she is.

Southeastdweller Fri 08-Feb-13 21:00:16

That's one of the things about C.M's writing I don't like - sprinkling her articles with obscure words I don't know. I mean, I do feel I have a reasonably wide vocabulary but I struggle sometimes to know exactly what she's on about. One could say what she does is a tad pretentious...

AmandaPayne Fri 08-Feb-13 21:00:27

I like otiose grin. It is good passive aggressive language to use in fraught work negotiations when the other side of the deal are annoying you, but you can't actually be rude - "In your latest mark up you've reinstated the whole of clause 18. I'm sure you'll agree that clause 18.2 (a) is otiose now we've all agreed on the wording of Schedule B."

Bearcrumble Fri 08-Feb-13 21:01:47

Zoe Williams and those socks. They still spring into my head every now and again and startle me.

scottishmummy Fri 08-Feb-13 21:06:16

she's funny but I'm nonplussed if she mnetter or not
but I imagine a few would be really big sooks,and you is luffly to her
and refreshingly a few wouldn't. hee hee no big heids tolerated on mn

scottishmummy Fri 08-Feb-13 21:13:24

I see wee shout out for not like old days...there's always one
mn of yore was dull,cliquey,people arse licked so called names,and said I'll get popcorn
and and did gavel as if it is like proper legal with gravitas and all that

willesden Fri 08-Feb-13 21:27:42

I wasted good money on her latest book. Biggest load of tosh I ever read. Hopefully, if she writes on here, it is about things more riveting than tampons, cystitis and baggy jumpers.

Bearcrumble Fri 08-Feb-13 22:17:23

I know what the two bits of gossip were on that old thread as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now