To despair at EVER finding a bra that fits?!

(1000 Posts)
Silverstar2 Wed 06-Feb-13 17:41:55

So, I have read every website on the subject, been measured at Bravissimo, and STILL find every single bra uncomfortable - even the ones that Bravissimo said were the right size. I just want to rip the thing off as soon as I get in from work. They seem fine for about an hour, then start to dig in.

I find that they just 'curl up' at the back, and I get horrible back fat, or dig in at the side/arm pit, but mainly on just one side! The band never seems to sit flush to my side iyswim. I have tried going up a band and down a cup, down a band and up a cup etc, have tried every style going..........

I found when I wore my saggy old too big bras they gave me no shape or support, but my god they were comfy!

I think I am about a 36/38 E/F. I have ordered and sent back about ten bras this last month as they just all HURT.

So, AIBU to just let 'em all hang out and be pain-free??!!!!

Silverstar2 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:02:12

Me again. I have tried a bigger cup and smaller band (went down to 34 up to ff) and they weren't right either- the ff cup was too big.

Someone up thread said it - that the band sort of folds over at the side, and that digs in, and then creates fat (on me). I have more under my arms/at my back than anywhere else, but a bigger cup size didn't help.... hhmmmm maybe I need to stick to a 36/38 band (but my freya deco plunge 38 is on it's tightest hook) but go to a ff or g? I also find the band digs and rubs about 1.5 cms below my boobs, and leaves big red marks at the top of my (not very flat) tummy.

Oh I am so confused!

Not close to London, so can't really go to R & P.

Help me Sorrell?!

orangeandlemons Wed 06-Feb-13 20:03:47

...and me...sad

SorrelForbes Wed 06-Feb-13 20:05:22

Sizzle, you need to try a 36H and possibly bigger. Be brave grin

LadyLaMer Wed 06-Feb-13 20:07:12

Sizzles you should be a 36 H

and lean forward when putting it on to put all of your boob into the cup. or use your opposing hand to lift your boob once your bra is on.

SorrelForbes Wed 06-Feb-13 20:07:57

Oranges, if you like an upfront look, try Ewa Michalak CH and CHP styles.

Megglevache Wed 06-Feb-13 20:10:53

I think you just have to go to a dept store and try everything.

`i went through a stage of being being able to find anything and had to resort to those whole bodies things which fit like a dream but only in winter.

I bought a bra is the bargain bucket in Debenhams by the Michelle Mone lady dont know the name and it is amazing- a balconette style it doesn't dig is boned at the sides to stop it rolling over- and it's really fancy/boudoir type of thing...cannot find similar.

Amazingly Asda (yes I know) had a great balconette again boned at the sides and pretty dainty considering its an E cup I think it was £7.

I would really shop around and try every type of style M&S are awful IMO

Megglevache Wed 06-Feb-13 20:12:00

Oh and for years even after being measured I made the mistake of having the back too loose which made the back ride up...terrible look bad support.

SorrelForbes Wed 06-Feb-13 20:12:04

Silver, sounds to me that you need to stick to a 36 in most brands. Try 36F, 36FF, 36G, 36GG in different styles. If your 38s are rubbing that's usually a sign that the band is moving around as it's too big.

Oh my goodness shock. Better get myself bra shopping. Thanks everyone!

Umlauf Wed 06-Feb-13 20:13:55

orangesandlemns have you tried half cup styles? They are quite good if you are close set (so fall out of plunges) but have gaping at the top of a balconette, and they provide a lot of lift!

OP you can take bras back to bravissimo you had been fitted in, even if you have worn them. They know that a bra might fit perfectly in a shop when you are nervously standing in your underwear in front of a stranger in your best posture to when you get home. I completely agree that it is about finding the best style and brand for you though.

Wrt back fat.... If the bra shows your back fat it's doing its job. If you have a bit and the bra doesn't show it its too loose a band... Sadly! The best you can do there is choose a wider band (normally in bigger cup sizes) and this MIT also help with the curling up. Re underwires digging in, again different brands have different shapes. Are you wearing any Panache as they tend to come up long and dig into armpits. I find Freya too short so they dig in for me!

Sokmonsta Wed 06-Feb-13 20:20:33

Without fail I go to John Lewis every time to get measured. No one else has every measured me and got me a comfy bra. Might be worth trying some smaller lingerie shops/other departments stores to see how all of them measure you. It's effort and a royal pita. But it should help you find your dream underwear.

Great thread. I am very happy with the Panache tango which I get from Bravissimo.

orangeandlemons Wed 06-Feb-13 20:24:35

Have looked at the website Sorrel. What currency/price are they? Unfortunately they don't seem to go to supersize like h or j cup, which is my size.

orangeandlemons Wed 06-Feb-13 20:26:47

Can you get 1/2 cup styles above a g cup?

CelticPromise Wed 06-Feb-13 20:30:03

Northern brastop.com often have the Tango for very reasonable prices, if you wanted any more.

Oranges I haven't bought from the site but I believe they do made to measure for reasonable prices.

orangeandlemons Wed 06-Feb-13 20:33:58

Have just googled 1/2 cup styles and loads of ladies with bra showing their nipples appearedhmm. Is this what you meant? grin

bran Wed 06-Feb-13 20:35:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

happyjustobeme Wed 06-Feb-13 20:50:33

Please would one of you wise women help me?

I have a small frame, wear a size 10, and am currently wearing an m and per una padded modal bra in a 36a. I have a very flat chest the naked eye. Even the 36a leaves marks on my back though.

Measurements are 31 1/2 under bust, 35 over bust. I simply have to have padding as i have very pokey out nipples and a vey flat chest.

Umlauf Wed 06-Feb-13 20:51:40

No!! this sort of thing or this Juna I think another poster mentioned it is hard to tell from the pics but they are higher cut in the centre and lower cut by the armpits than balconette bras, so its more of a straight line across, this has the effect of less room at the top part of your boobs, so if the volume is in the bottom part of your boobs they are usually really good. They are all different though (as are all shapes, brands, styles) so you have to find the best shape for you!

Sorry for the nipple confusion!!!

ihatethecold Wed 06-Feb-13 20:53:43

It's like the bloody holy grail. sad
Drives me nuts

Why is it in the shop the fitting lady does all the checks. The bra feels very comfortable.
Half a day into wearing it I want to take it off.

RafflesWay Wed 06-Feb-13 20:55:22

Sloggi microfibre are lovely and pretty true to size if you don't want to spend a fortune.

SorrelForbes Wed 06-Feb-13 20:57:06

happy. I'd try a 30E, a 30DD, a 32C and a 32D.

All bras will leave marks (just like the top of a sick will) but your band is digging in because it's too big and the cups much too small.

Find out your band size by putting a 30 on back to front. If it feels tight but bearable and y

CelticPromise Wed 06-Feb-13 20:57:20

Happy try a 32C, 30D and sizes around it. A 36 can't possibly fit or give you any support.

Umlauf Wed 06-Feb-13 20:58:52

happy the thing is a supportive bra should leave its mark a bit. If you wear new socks they leave a little mark, not becaus they hurt, but because they are firm against your skin. Skinny jeans often leave a mark because they are firm against your skin. No matter what size your boobs are the back band should do most of the work, otherwise you could get back problems and unsightly shoulder grooves, not to mention saggy boobs later in life! It doesn't work for everyone but I always think its a good sign if the bra can hold itself up if I slide the straps off my shoulders. The back strap should also sit horizontally the whoe way around, and not ride up your back, and if you do a Mexican wave, everything should stay firmly in place. Movement of the back strap = far too loose. Please don't be put off by marks.

If you are only a small framed size 10 the likely back size would be between 28 and at most 32. If you feel the cup size is ok in a 36a, the equivalent would be 32c, 30d. This is a small size even though the letter 'd' might make you think of daisy duke!

This thread is not accepting new messages.