To despair at EVER finding a bra that fits?!

(1000 Posts)
Silverstar2 Wed 06-Feb-13 17:41:55

So, I have read every website on the subject, been measured at Bravissimo, and STILL find every single bra uncomfortable - even the ones that Bravissimo said were the right size. I just want to rip the thing off as soon as I get in from work. They seem fine for about an hour, then start to dig in.

I find that they just 'curl up' at the back, and I get horrible back fat, or dig in at the side/arm pit, but mainly on just one side! The band never seems to sit flush to my side iyswim. I have tried going up a band and down a cup, down a band and up a cup etc, have tried every style going..........

I found when I wore my saggy old too big bras they gave me no shape or support, but my god they were comfy!

I think I am about a 36/38 E/F. I have ordered and sent back about ten bras this last month as they just all HURT.

So, AIBU to just let 'em all hang out and be pain-free??!!!!

we need a MN internet bra store.

happy norksgrin

and no I haven't been on the wine

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Fri 15-Feb-13 18:17:21

Went to M & S today to try out a few bras after this thread. I'm in a 36c, which is about the right cup size but too loose, and the thread advised a 32DD, so tried on loads around 32DD, 34D, 34DD etc. None of the buggers fit properly, they were either too loose, (34DD, had to do ip on tightest hook) wires didn't fit, (34D) or too small, and wires didn't fit (32DD) Argghhh! Horrid lady in M & S insisted on measuring me in the middle of the changing room, and told me I was a 38B! Fuck off!

The stupid place has a different section for DD and above, with different styles, but does some prettier style up to a DD, so I'm right on the crossover. The 34Dd was from the larger sizes range and was huge! I give up with M & S, but I can't afford expensive bras.

EJ

try bra stop for some bargains.

I have bought 5 new bra's in the past month, none of which cost more than £10 each, from fig leaves, bra stop and one off eBay.

the curvy Kate fit well, as do the fantasies. the fig leaves own brand are slightly smaller on the band.

once you get the size and style right you can pick up some bargains

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Fri 15-Feb-13 18:29:16

Calming down from my rant now. Calm thoughts...

Thank you, soaccidentprone. I'm really tempted just to get a 34D in the same style as my really comfortable Sloggi 36C, it'll be a better fit than my current bra.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 15-Feb-13 18:39:03

EJ - do you have a Bravissimo? I paid £26/£27 for my bras, and you only need one because you can rinse and dry overnight.

SorrelForbes Fri 15-Feb-13 18:40:31

EJ. If the 34DD was too big (if youre doing up the band on anything but the loosest hooks, then its too large for you) and the 32DD too tight then I'd suggest trying a 32E and possibly an F.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Fri 15-Feb-13 18:46:17

A 32E! I think the DD and bigger range was just bigger all around. I'll go back and try 32DD and 32 E/F in that range and avoid any M & S 'helpful' fitters.

IcaMorgan Fri 15-Feb-13 18:49:16

Thanks soaccidentprone

I went into Bromley today and went to BHS and M&S (not a lot of choice in Bromley)

After trying on 6 bras in BHS I bought 2 - 1 32D and 1 32DD - the 32E (as recommended was huge, it might have been the style but it was the only one I found)

Tried on 14 bras in M&S and bought 4 - all 32D

I still need strapless and a red one (has to red under a certain top I have) and discovered that I cant wear bras that the shoulder strap is right against the armpit as when I lean forward they gape right at the edge

The 36a I went out in now feels really loose around the band

Am off to look at your links now - could be a while

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Fri 15-Feb-13 18:57:00

Red bras are the best thing to wear under white tops. They are invisible, much more so than white ones.

piratecat Fri 15-Feb-13 20:34:38

hurrah that you love the Fantasie Helena.

A Fantasie Kara has been purchased online by my friend from Ebay in a 36f and it's very comfy i am reliably informed.

AnyFucker Fri 15-Feb-13 20:46:12

a red bra under a white top ?

seriously ?

piratecat Fri 15-Feb-13 20:53:16

haven't heard of the red bra under a white top. when i worked at R&P we always used to suggest to ladies to go for a nude bra instead of a white.

SorrelForbes Fri 15-Feb-13 21:10:53

Red under white does work quite well but nude/skin colour is even better.

IcaMorgan Fri 15-Feb-13 21:14:47

Well I managed to get 3 Gossard strapless bras in a nude colour for £16 so it looks like I made the right choice instead of white

Silverstar2 Sat 16-Feb-13 11:36:26

Ok, update! My Bravissimo order arrived today, and I have been trying them all on, flapping my arms around, and just seeing if they are ok, and I think I have made some progress! A Freya Faye in 36FF seems comfy, with no bits sticking in, also a Freya Deco (although in an E cup) seems ok too, and the Cleo Juna in 36FF. I am going to wear them all today, just around the house for a couple of hours each, to really see. Once I know what fits well, I will stick to those.

Thank you all on this thread - you have really helped, and I hope you all get sorted in the right size!

SS2 x

Don't worry about the Deco being a very different size - a lot of people report the Deco as being big in the cup. I have one which is just too small (but occasionally comes out under low cut things) and mine is a GG, where as my new bras are HH and J.

Well I went to town yesterday and looked in the independent lingerie shop that has recently opened. She measured me as 40E sad I told her that I have a 40E bra which doesn't fit very well but she got me to try on lots of bras and said that the Fantasie 40E was the best fit. She didn't have any nursing bras in the right size so I just tried underwired ones but she said that I need full cup as balcony doesn't fit me right

SorrelForbes Sun 17-Feb-13 13:41:53

Rubberbullets. I looked up thread to check your meaurements. It sounds to me that the last you saw yesterday is adhering to the 'add 4"' system! Honestly, you sound much more like a 36J!

I went in Debenhams afterwards and looked to see if they had a 36J. They didn't but they had a 38H so I tried that instead and the cups were huge.

SorrelForbes Sun 17-Feb-13 16:34:40

What brand/style did you try in Debenhams?

A 38H should have the same cup volume as a 36HH.

Have you tried a 36 back (even back to front just to see how the band itself fits)?

I can't remember what brand it was, I was in a bit of a rush as it was getting late and we needed to get back to the car. The 38 back was tight, I found it hard to swivel it round my body as I'm not co-ordinated enough to do bras up behind me grin

RB

did you lean forward and sort of 'wiggle' your boobs into the cups, then use your left hand in your right cup to 'scoop' as much breast tissue in as possible and repeat on the other side?

it's amazing the difference this can make. my bra's all look huge (36ff), and if I just put it on without doing the above the cups are baggy at the top, but if I lean forward then come back up and scoop, the bra cups are magically fullgrin

the band should feel quite snug and you should only be able to pull it away at the back by a couple of inches. anything more than that then you need a band size smaller and a cup size bigger.

SorrelForbes Sun 17-Feb-13 16:46:34

If you found the band hard to swivel round then that's a good sign! You shouldn't be able to move the band around your body easily.

Debenhams Gorgeous range can come up small in the band as can some other makes. Your underbust measurement was 37 so you are inbetween sizes and will probably end up with a mix of 36s and 38s. Your across bust measurement is 49 (IIRC) so that's a 12" difference. You absolutely can not be an E cup.

I visited a lingerie shop in East Cornwall and whilst the owner was lovely and had a good range, she measured me much too loosely under bust and suggested a 32 back. I am a 30 so she wasn't far out but it shows how everyone has a slightly different opinion about fit! In another shop in West Devon, the owner tried to tell me that plus 4"/5" does work for some women. I left...

IcaMorgan Sun 17-Feb-13 16:53:10

I ignored the people in the shops when I went to try some - did tell the woman in BHS how to measure though lol

I have worn the 32DD from BHS all day today and it is so comfortable I dont even know I have it on whereas normally I would be pulling it around every now and then

Went to Anne Summers yesterday looking for a red bra and got told by the sales assistant that because I am a D cup that I have big boobs (just because I asked if she had any unpadded ones) but I've never seen them as big normally I see the opposite

rockybambi Sun 17-Feb-13 17:17:26

I worked at M&s in the bra dept as a buyer for many years.
We would measure round the chest under the breast ( lifting them up if necess ary ) and add 5 inches to give the bra size ( in your case 37 so add 5 inches =42). If you fall between sizes go to the next size up.
For the cup size you measure round your chest again again but this time going across your nipples.
If its the same number ie 42 then you are an A cup ( 1 inch smaller & you're AA)
1 inch bigger ie 43 then you need a B cup
2 inches bigger ie 44 (which is what you are Silverstar2) jthen you are a C cup
I suggest you try an M&S 42C .
It should be comfy round the back & big enough in the cup.
Good luck

This thread is not accepting new messages.