Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To despair at EVER finding a bra that fits?!

(1000 Posts)
Silverstar2 Wed 06-Feb-13 17:41:55

So, I have read every website on the subject, been measured at Bravissimo, and STILL find every single bra uncomfortable - even the ones that Bravissimo said were the right size. I just want to rip the thing off as soon as I get in from work. They seem fine for about an hour, then start to dig in.

I find that they just 'curl up' at the back, and I get horrible back fat, or dig in at the side/arm pit, but mainly on just one side! The band never seems to sit flush to my side iyswim. I have tried going up a band and down a cup, down a band and up a cup etc, have tried every style going..........

I found when I wore my saggy old too big bras they gave me no shape or support, but my god they were comfy!

I think I am about a 36/38 E/F. I have ordered and sent back about ten bras this last month as they just all HURT.

So, AIBU to just let 'em all hang out and be pain-free??!!!!

Octopus37 Wed 13-Feb-13 18:41:21

Ok guys, some of you sound like you are experts.

My measurements are:
Underbust 28/28.5
Overbust 32

I usually wear a 30C, but sometimes find they feel a bit tight so wear 32B, but it would seem that I need a 28. Also find that with a 30, sometimes get a bit of an underarm fat overhang issue, does this mean I need a bigger cup size as I actually don't have boobs really

AnyFucker Wed 13-Feb-13 18:53:26

you need a 28D or DD

I didn't think I had "boobs" but I do ! I really do ! smile

AnyFucker Wed 13-Feb-13 18:54:55

< am not an expert, am a learner, but I do have a merit badge >

SorrelForbes Wed 13-Feb-13 18:58:12

Indeed you do AF (plus at least 5 house points this week alone!)

AnyFucker Wed 13-Feb-13 19:17:26

aw shucks

AmazingDisgrace Wed 13-Feb-13 23:10:43

So, I played fantasy bra buying tonight on the House of Fraser website. I am sad that I can't afford all the Aubade bras I want, or indeed any of them sad

SorrelForbes Wed 13-Feb-13 23:47:52

Lovely bras but alas they only go up to an F.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 14-Feb-13 08:59:53

My figleaves and lovebra orders arrived. The figleaves own brand stuff came up v small so they are going back but I'm happy with the curvy Kate and the Freya stuff. DH didn't like the colour of the Gossard so that will have to be returned too.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 14-Feb-13 09:51:19

Alas is the word, Sorrell - they are beautiful. sad

Doctrine - tell me you don't choose your underwear on the basis of whether DH likes it?

One of the ones I bought at the weekend is black with yellow, white and grey spots. It sounds vile but it works and I like it - and more importantly it fits really well and is comfy.
As we were getting undressed for bed the other day DH did a double-take 'good god that bra is a bit, um, happy'. grin Wouldn't dream of taking it back because he doesn't like it!

AgathaF Thu 14-Feb-13 10:01:11

Happy bras - love it grin

Ali

we need pictures of your 'happy' bragrin

(not with you in it I hasten to add, but a weblinkblush )

ClairesTravellingCircus Thu 14-Feb-13 10:05:50

Had to laugh at the happy bra comment!

<right so, I have tried my 32 bras again and you may be right re cup being too small...blush

I had a variety of 32E and F but they are all too small (well my left breast swims in them while the right one tries to escapehmm), so I decided to order a couple of 32FF to tie me overt til right boob deflates to her old self, and I bought 3 bras for a grand total of £25 inc postage to Italy on ebay!! (thanks so much for the tip I hadn't thought about that!)

I will surely report back when they arrive <impatient>

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 14-Feb-13 10:06:14

Oh, that did sound controlly, didn't it?

Because it all came mail order I was trying it on at home when he was there so it was a discussion really - ooh, this is a bit small, mm, this is nice etc. I wouldn't send stuff back that I really liked just because he didn't like it.

ah - the joys of brings and stopping.

when I had finished bring ds1 I remember being on my lunch and my boobs feeling a bit cold. they had both leaked and I had lovely round wet patches. I had to cross my arms and rush back to work and dry my top under the hand dryer at workblush

brings? bfing - stupid autocorrect

ComeAlongPond Thu 14-Feb-13 10:40:42

I have discovered that the backs of some bras at Debenhams (their ultimate range) come up quite small and have cracking padding so I can wear a 30 there. On the middle hook, which is less than ideal, but seeing as I only need it for wearing under a particular dress and won't be wearing it often it is there as my back-up plan. It seems like anything in a 28 is either a 'first bra' so has no padding or shape, or a 'big boobs bra' which has no padding or shape either. I'm a 28d, I have tiddly boobs!

ComeAlongPond Thu 14-Feb-13 12:03:41

Thanks soaccidentprone smile The trouble I have is that it's not (too) difficult to find 'normal' bras in my size but if I want anything with a bit of padding or something for a special occasion it's trickier. I've got a really nice dress with a low v neck but my boobs are just so small that I need some kind of padding to give me any cleavage in it. And I have a really small distance between my boob and my armpit so anything plunge-shaped (which is usually where padding can be found) digs into me. Frustrating.

You need a balcony style bra

Megglevache Thu 14-Feb-13 12:42:56

Sheeesh. I think I'm going to be the difficult one here grin

I went to M&S- hideous. They have lots of bras there but not one was suitable and the fitting attendant was very miffed that she wasn't coming in as I declined her kind offer. She then tutted when i handed the bras back and told me she wasn't surprised they didn't fit as she could size by eye and I was at least a size 38/40 shock

I tired on every 34/G/GG/H and one 36GG (the smallest of the bunch!)- all ghastly, the only one that look like it fitted was so ugly I put it back on the rail.

Back to the drawing board or I will have the start cutting up the bed sheets!

SorrelForbes Thu 14-Feb-13 14:11:46

Megglevache - don't despair. I never find anything that fits/or I like in M&S.

CelticPromise Thu 14-Feb-13 14:56:23

Megglevache I don't do well in M&S either. The best bras for me in a 34G were Freya ones- Debenhams stock them?

ComeAlongPond Thu 14-Feb-13 15:00:44

Are M&S generally okay as long as you aren't fitted by them? They have some nice stuff online and I was thinking of trying them but it sounds like they're just rubbish all round?

Also does anyone know if Boux Avenue are true to size or small in the back, because they have some nice, cheap things too but don't go down to 28.

SorrelForbes Thu 14-Feb-13 15:31:25

I'm sure I've read on a bra blog that Boux Avenue come up fairly small in the back.

This thread is not accepting new messages.