To despair at EVER finding a bra that fits?!

(1000 Posts)
Silverstar2 Wed 06-Feb-13 17:41:55

So, I have read every website on the subject, been measured at Bravissimo, and STILL find every single bra uncomfortable - even the ones that Bravissimo said were the right size. I just want to rip the thing off as soon as I get in from work. They seem fine for about an hour, then start to dig in.

I find that they just 'curl up' at the back, and I get horrible back fat, or dig in at the side/arm pit, but mainly on just one side! The band never seems to sit flush to my side iyswim. I have tried going up a band and down a cup, down a band and up a cup etc, have tried every style going..........

I found when I wore my saggy old too big bras they gave me no shape or support, but my god they were comfy!

I think I am about a 36/38 E/F. I have ordered and sent back about ten bras this last month as they just all HURT.

So, AIBU to just let 'em all hang out and be pain-free??!!!!

BinksToEnlightenment Sat 09-Feb-13 20:54:53

Yes I know, it's an impossible size to find. Drives me batshit.

AnyFucker Sat 09-Feb-13 20:56:15

It was much easier, when I was wearing the wrong size (34B) for years on end smile

ninja Sat 09-Feb-13 20:59:00

Sorrelforbes They give a good shape under t-shirts - quite perky! They do have a minimising effect though so I look smaller which not everyone wants. They feel a bit like a really good sports bra - no bounce

SorrelForbes Sat 09-Feb-13 21:00:36

I think if you email them they will be able to tell you what they have in a 28. They will also custom make smaller and larger bands to order (non-refundable alas). I had to size up in the band to a 32 so you may find a 30 is ok? Definitely worth emailing them to ask what the band length is for a 30 as then you compare it to an existing bra.

BinksToEnlightenment Sat 09-Feb-13 21:02:56

They'll definitely stock a 32D Wonderbra.

But yeah, you can be a 32 or a D, but a 32D? Nooo.

SorrelForbes Sat 09-Feb-13 21:16:35

Another brand that starts at a 28 back is Miss Mandalay. I have their Susie bra. It comes up small in the cup. I'm usually a 30G and the 30GG was a little bit small.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sat 09-Feb-13 21:18:56

When I add stuff to the basket on the lovebra sale, it says it IS now offering free returns...

Silverstar2 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:25:32

Thanks everyone, I have read this post with eager eyes! I have re-measured, and have just ordered over £200 (yikes!) of bras from Bravissimo - in lots of sizes, from 36FF to to 38F.

Will see what fits when they arrive!

BinksToEnlightenment Sat 09-Feb-13 21:29:41

I just ordered ANOTHER Ultimate Plunge bra due to this thread. That's gonna make five now.

But this one has lace on it! Ooooh grin

SorrelForbes Sat 09-Feb-13 21:30:14

Blimey Silverstar! Hopefully some of them will fit. Once you know a few styles and brands that fit well, you can hunt for them on sites like BraStop.

AmazingDisgrace Sat 09-Feb-13 21:39:14

AnyFucker: sometimes I find bras gape at the top when I first put them on but after an hour my breasts seem to grow into the bra if that makes sense? I do have peculiar boobs though. They have grown back to their former size after a breast reduction several years ago [

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 09-Feb-13 21:55:09

AF, that Lovebras sale is fab! Might take the plunge (ahem) and order some 28E's. Not sure if I should order a few sizes around that too. It seems I'm a 28 back size and my current 30C is too small in the cup, so I'm going down a back size and up two cup sizes iyswim. With all this in mind what other sizes should I consider ordering to try on?

I want matching knickers too, naturally grin.

Oh, and if you're a new Lovebras customer you can join their mailing list to get 10% off your first order.

JeffFaFa Sat 09-Feb-13 22:00:16

I dont recall having a fitting bra since early teens, after 2 kids they are knackered empty at the top so dont fill a bra. I measure 29 1/2 under and 34 1/2 across, i wear a 34 D its too big back and cup, the only shops near me only do 32 smallest back up to a c cup, which was too small, and then its 34's and up, i have 1 bra that i manage with.

imogengladhart Sat 09-Feb-13 22:04:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

imogengladhart Sat 09-Feb-13 22:06:27

AmazingDisgrace Sat 09-Feb-13 22:16:08

I had mine done for back problems, Was a EE/F went down to a C. This was 16 yrs ago in my mid 20s. Now in my 40s and back to an F. Oddly, I have lost weight since my BR but they're not causing me back probs now. Probably less densegrin

SorrelForbes Sat 09-Feb-13 22:28:09

SoftKittyWarmKitty I'd try a 28DD and maybe even a 28F. That sounds big but my sister has just gone from a 34B to a 28F so you never know!

JeffFaFa You probably need a size around 30DD, maybe a 28E.

imogengladhart Just checking that you have measured youself recently? BraStop and Figleaves stock that size as do Ewa Michalak

imogengladhart Sat 09-Feb-13 23:08:09

Imogengladheart how can you have been a size 8 yet wear a 38 back bra? My 32 bras from when I was a 12 barely touch the sides now, I can get them off without unhooking them, and I'm a snug size 8 topshock.

SorrelForbes I need you help (posted earlier)
<27 under (and shrinking by the week)
37 over (keeping pace, stayed G-H throughout weight loss)
Currently on my least ill-fitting bra (30GG), still 1 stone weight loss to go.
Should I buy a 28G/GG/H and risk it being too loose/saggy in a few weeks
Or
Should I face the hassle and cost of sourcing a 26GG/H/HH and risk it not fitting for a while, anticipating that it might fit later?

Silverstar2 Sun 10-Feb-13 08:27:59

I hope not too keep all the bras (as I said, over £200 worth) but I have ordered three sized in three styles, to see which is best.

Aim to keep 2 or 3, but we will see how it goes.

SorrelForbes Sun 10-Feb-13 09:57:13

InMy. If I were you I'd probably persevere with my 28s until my weight had finally stabilised. In the meantime, hunt out brands (like EM and Gorgeous) that are known for having small bands. There are also blogs on line with instructions on how to alter a band.

soaccidentprone Sun 10-Feb-13 10:23:08

ss2

since you are the op I hope that some of the bra's you have ordered are the right size, comfy etcgrin

Thanks Sorrel, hopefully by the time I absolutely need 26s the high street will have cottoned onto the idea that there's a market for them!
I would love manufacturers to make styles that keep a large bust out front for a small back, rather than the same cup shape taking an ever larger percentage of the band though. My current cups go to the back of my armpitsshock.

SorrelForbes Sun 10-Feb-13 11:18:40

InMySpareTime Did you look at the EM site? IMO the bras do seem to be constructed a bit differently and certainly work at keeping my boobs way out front!

This thread is not accepting new messages.