Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think that the doctor should have done a pregnancy test?

(30 Posts)
onebridenobump Wed 06-Feb-13 12:52:34

Hi, I posted this in Family planning but I'm getting more and more annoyed about it so hope you can help.

I decided to come off my contraceptive pill at the end of July/beginning of August and went back to having normal periods almost straight after. Relatively regular etc.

My last period was on the 20th November and was as far as I can remember normal.

Nothing since!! I've POAS 4 times in the last 2 months and each time it has come up not pregnant.

Any way, I went to see my GP and he couldn't have been less interested in what I was saying. He made me feel stupid that I had even come to see him and told me to come back if I still haven't had one in 6 months. He also told me that he didn't know why I was bothered unless I was trying to start a family.

He then started to question my reasons for coming off the pill (fair enough) and then said "and I suppose you've not been using any other form of protection, you do know what we call "safe sex" is don't you"

So 3 questions

AIBU to think that the doctor should have done another pregancy test/blood test to be sure that the 4 negatives that I have had is correct?

AIBU to complain to my GP's practice that I was made to feel stupid and accused of having unsafe sex in such a rude manner?

Thirdly, should I be worried about still no period or is it normal?

Thanks in advance

Crinkle77 Thu 07-Feb-13 11:37:29

It is quite normal not to have a period for a long time after coming off the pill especially if you have been on it for a while. This happened to my sister and she was told it can take up to 6 months for your periods to return to normal.

coraltoes Thu 07-Feb-13 13:02:29

hello
just to let you know, i had no periods for a yr after the pill, but got pregnant. it is not a sign of anything untoward, but is worth monitoring and mentioning to a gp for sure. it takes ages for things to settle after the pill, so try not to worry too much.

McNewPants2013 Thu 07-Feb-13 13:56:45

Stress can delay a period, it maybe because your are stressing about no period that could be delaying it.

How old are you

onebridenobump Thu 07-Feb-13 14:24:42

I'm 25, we're not trying to get pregnant I just want to be sure that I'm not.

I've got another gp appointment next thursday so I will find out then

onebridenobump Thu 14-Feb-13 15:08:59

Quick update,

Went to see a different doctor today who was very reassuring. Said that it was VERY unlikely that I was pregnant and that at this point I would be around 12 weeks and would more than likely know by now if I was.

He was slightly concerned that periods started normally after coming off the pill and have now stopped and has asked me to come back in 3 months if they dont return.

He also said if I wasn't reassured I could go for a private scan just to see for sure that I wasn't pregnant, recommended a place and gave me some leaflets and stuff.

I feel much better now and although not entirely sure that there isnt a problem, I feel like someone took me seriously and recognised my anxiety on the matter.

Thanks again for all your input xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now