NSPCC 'I promise' dvd. Anyone else seen it? (non accidental injury to children)

(88 Posts)
PictureMeInThese Wed 06-Feb-13 10:19:22

I originally posted this in chat but got no response.
My sister has just a lovely new snuggly baby smile
I picked her, BIL and DN up from the hospital a few hours after she gave birth. We were waiting for her to be discharged when the mw came in and explained she'd like to show DS and BIL a DVD from the NSPCC for research (IIRC).
So we watched it. It was mostly interviews with parents of babies talking about coping mechanisms for coping with crying babies. It also showed (quite graphically) what happens to a baby when it is shaken.
Now, I think the NSPCC are great, but we were sat open mouthed after watching this.
Don't get me wrong it was a well done film done sensitively and I can see that it would be a useful resource for new parents, but DN was 4 hours old. Parents still on a high after giving birth and then being shown this. I thought the timing was completely inappropriate.
After they'd watched the dvd they had to sign a form with 'I promise' on the top. I think this was the consent for the research, but the way it was presented it felt very much like they were signing a form promising not to shake their baby.
I don't know, i just felt very uncomfortable about it. AIBU?

Fillyjonk75 Sun 16-Jun-13 14:54:44

While abuse is horrible actually only a minority of parents are abusive.

Like becoming a crack or heroin addict, only a few people do that. What next? A form from your GP which you have to sign to say "I promise not to take crack".

A note from the police saying "I promise not to commit murder."

Where does it end? Stupid. Just give the advice. Offer a DVD if people want it, explaining the content could be upsetting.

Sledgehammer...nut.

mirai Sun 16-Jun-13 15:04:01
plinkyplonks Sun 16-Jun-13 15:14:16

Sorry but I disagree... discussing your thoughts on parents and children you have dealt with is passing judgement. Funny in these threads we get people who just so happen to work for <insert health profession here>. Small world huh? Anyhow .. this thread has been derailed because the OP was asking if it was unreasonable to show the video. Not an opportunity to argue who deserves to be a parent and who doesn't.

plieadianpony Sun 16-Jun-13 15:17:33

What are you disagreeing with plinkyplonks ? Sorry but am not clear...

plinkyplonks Sun 16-Jun-13 15:26:36

Apologies.. I was replying to TheBigJessie

nellyjelly Sun 16-Jun-13 19:53:36

US research shows 47% reduction in injuries related to head shaking after a similiar programme. Good enough for me.

Bue Sun 16-Jun-13 20:18:10

We are supposed to ask parents to watch this before they leave the postnatal ward, as part of the discharge procedure, then ask them to fill out a very brief questionnaire. I always felt a bit weird about it, but after having watched it myself I don't ask anyone to watch it anymore. It is an interesting DVD but the timing is utterly inappropriate.

Also I hate that it's basically asking parents to pledge 'I promise not to accidentally kill my baby'. hmm

JordiBoo Tue 09-Jul-13 22:01:12

I watched the whole ten minute video clip at an antenatal session last week. Yes, the content is distressing, but I think that's the point to make people realise that it only takes a moment to potentially snap.

I had my first two in a national health service style, general teaching hospital overseas. I was shown a very poor video, (with similar intent but poorly produced) before I was discharged from the postnatal ward. I felt a bit offended at the time. I think the NSPCC video is better shown with partners at an antenatal parent education session.

Here is the link to the project and the NSPCC video

MiaowTheCat Tue 09-Jul-13 22:19:36

Also I hate that it's basically asking parents to pledge 'I promise not to accidentally kill my baby'.

I hate this whole pledge-signing thing that seems to be coming in among all those working with parents these days... local children's centre had taken over the baby group with a child safety session the other week - and were basically bugging everyone to make a big thing of signing a pledge to do X Y and Z at the end of the session (it was stuff like "I promise to never leave hot drinks in the reach of my child" and "I promise my child will always sleep in a cot and never with me" and stuff) and I said I wasn't going to sign something that was basically treating me like an idiot and a child murderer in waiting. (I didn't fight the "co-sleeping will kill your baby" routine going on - we have a co-sleeping cot attached to the bed - as they're really zero tolerance line on it in this county so it's not worth the hassle)

Give it a couple of weeks and there'll be something asking us to sign a promise that we'll put suncream on our child and then another one pledging to read to our child every night - just gets my back up.

middymee Mon 29-Jul-13 22:44:56

Nellyjelly....there is no postnatal care in the US. Women basically leave hospital with a new baby and see no healthcare professional until 6wks post delivery. Their rates of non accidental are much, much higher than the UK to start with so obviously, introducing the DVD WILL make a difference.

middymee Mon 29-Jul-13 22:46:43

Sorry I meant to add that I'm a midwife. And another objection I have to it is the form that parents are asked to sign, also asks for 'level of education'!!!

MamaChubbyLegs Tue 30-Jul-13 00:20:28

Middy shock how are they going to use that information?

I'm not against the video or the pledge actually, as long as it is fully explained, appropriately timed, counselled and optional, but that is shocking.

middymee Tue 30-Jul-13 13:57:56

No idea! I'm assuming they are seeing if there's a link between non accidental head injury and education level!! I just think there's a group of people who will NEVER cross that line where they harm their child, but there will always be a group that will. I'm not wholly convinced that here in the UK it will make a big difference. As I said before, there's a huge lack of support & care in the US where the initial research was done which is why I think they've had success with it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now