to want to report this?

(14 Posts)
beals692 Wed 06-Feb-13 08:38:30

Thanks for the advice. I've e-mailed the Neighbourhood Policing Team for that area.

manticlimactic Tue 05-Feb-13 23:53:04

Last bloke who flashed at me got my cig stubbed out on his dick.

That came in handy when the police got him.

Although if I wasn't smoking what 70isa said.

Some people (not me obviously) would say "Oh that looks just like a penis only much much smaller "

But I'm too chicken to say that hmm

larks35 Tue 05-Feb-13 22:59:24

Report it with as much detail as you can remember and then let it go, don't dwell on it too much.

Mumsyblouse Tue 05-Feb-13 22:59:17

I would report it. I reported a naked flasher once who I encountered in the middle of the day walking along a footpath. It was quite amusing when the police said 'would you recognize him again?' Anyway, our local officers say always report anything, minor crime (e.g. car scratched), sexual harassment, anything as this helps them build up a picture of what's going on and if they find him, they may want to prosecute for that specific event. I would, just to get it off your chest.

Sounds horrible, why do people think they can say that to you?

Kleptronic Tue 05-Feb-13 22:57:01

Police 101 and if it was me I'd put it on Everyday Sexism, that's exactly what it's there for. Disgraceful bullying sexual harassment.

fromparistoberlin Tue 05-Feb-13 22:56:11

I dont get this shite anymore, too old!!!

SoleSource Tue 05-Feb-13 22:54:21

Sucks lol

So sorry you experienced this. Do report x

SucksToBeMe Tue 05-Feb-13 22:51:58

What a delightful man,his mother must be so proud..........

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Feb-13 22:51:01

You don't need to use your sexuality as a way to report the incident.

Ring 101 and tell them what you know.

Ok it's not much but they might be very grateful for the info as one or two people may have reported the same it all adds weight to it IYSWIM.

mrsbunnylove Tue 05-Feb-13 22:50:39

report it. at least then if someone else also reports it, they're likely to be believed.

LesBOFerables Tue 05-Feb-13 22:49:34

Nah, report it.

BettySuarez Tue 05-Feb-13 22:49:22

Report it, give them as much information as you can. Surely it can't hurt?

beals692 Tue 05-Feb-13 22:47:45

I was walking past a bus stop in a busy area at about 7.30 this evening. There was a guy standing near the bus stop and just I drew level with him he said that he was going to (or wanted to) "get his d* out and w* himself off". Now, obviously I've had verbal street harassment in the past because what woman hasn't? However, this was very explicit and also I guess I've been reading more about women's experiences of street harassment and women campaigning against it so I feel like I don't want to accept this anymore as just something I have to put up with. I didn't look directly at the guy and after he said it just quickened my pace and walked past him so I didn't really get a look at him and didn't see if he had/was in the process of exposing his penis or masturbating.

I don't expect the police to do anything, especially as I can't give a description but would kind of like it to be recorded in case other women have similar (or worse) experiences with this individual. I know that with hate crimes, people are encouraged to report any incidents even if it is just verbal to give police a picture of what is going on in an area. However, I don't know if what he said is actually an offence (provided he wasn't actually exposing himself/openly masturbating) and I don't know if there is any way to report this without making a big deal of it.

There is a website for reporting hate crime (which doesn't include gender!) where you can just use an online form to report both crimes and other "incidents" (like I said, I don't know if what happened is a crime). The incident did happen close to the gay bars and I am gay (although, because I have long hair I don't tend to get perceived as being gay) so it's possible that he was specifically targeting lesbians for sexual harassment (which does happen). I'm not sure whether this is the case but it would give me a way to report this incident.

I guess my questions are:

Am I over-reacting to report this?

Is there any other way for women to report this kind of less serious street harassment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now