AIBU to think that self service is 10 items or less?

(111 Posts)
M0naLisa Tue 05-Feb-13 16:47:04

Or is that not true??

The amount of people that I see take a full trolley of shopping through the self service checkouts then moan tht the bagging area isn't big enough to hold all your shopping bags because if you remove a bag the annoying voice starts wittering self service freezes until the bag is replaced!!
Just use a bloody till if your going to moan!! angry

I probably am BU but bloody hell!!!

YABU. It's far more selfish when people with a few items take FOREVER to scan them because they are letting their children do it. and giving a running bloody commentary of every single item they are scanning. I can scan a small trolley load of stuff quicker than that.

YABU - it is SELF service. In our local supermarket on the self service tills it does not say anywhere about how many items you can have.

So, if I want to scan my whole weeks shop (I wouldn't by the way, I think the cashiers are quicker) I am entitled to.

Jamillalliamilli Wed 06-Feb-13 09:41:56

Viva the assistant's supposed to keep an eye out, which is why they can get peed off or auto help you without checking when you’re having problems, because they need to be watching someone else and you’re a distraction, and some people apparently work it with decoys. They can find themselves under pressure if a lot of stock goes through under priced on their shifts.
(my wheelchair sets of security alarms so I’m on first name terms with a lot of security)

They actually film self-scan and review tapes for loss prevention, which I’d been told, but got a demonstration of when a very MC mummy was publically busted putting 3 big bags of vine tomatoes through as red onions for a fraction of the price, and pleaded confusion, only to have her previous ‘confusion’ dates and grocery list announced to everyone else before being marched off, shouting that she couldn’t be taken away, she had children to pick up.

Big bag of Mooli as parsnip lady just got to the end of her shop and found she couldn’t pay until she re-scaned every item because she got ‘you know what you’re doing, Love, and so do I.’ Her protests weren’t believed by the rest of the queue either.
Apparently there’s a phenomenon where confusion only ever results in people under pricing their shopping, never over pricing it. grin

Casserole Wed 06-Feb-13 09:42:16

Weeping with laughter at "I always have a trolley-load of homosexuals. I don't know how we get through them so quickly at our house."

:D :D :D :D :D

atthewelles Wed 06-Feb-13 10:57:32

I don't think there's a specific rule in my supermarket but I never see people using the self service tills with trollies full of stuff, and I wouldn't do it myself.

With that amount of stuff its quicker to let the shop assistant scan while you pack. Trying to do both yourself would take ages and hold up the queue behind you.

And it drives me maaaad when a check out person at the express till allows people through with dozens of items.

Psammead Wed 06-Feb-13 11:04:35

Love. This. Thread.

madoldbird Wed 06-Feb-13 11:16:43

Crying with laughter at my desk grin

Peachy Wed 06-Feb-13 19:19:40

So whilst I try and stop laughing...

Every time Dh buys stuff at the auto serve in B&Q it says it goes off for ages until being reset by a narked looking assistant, and it's always because the item is too light to be picked up. Always happens for at least one thing on a proper shop as well.

Am I missing some trick here?

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 06-Feb-13 19:33:44

The funniest unintentionally-funny thread ever.

Buzzardbird Wed 06-Feb-13 19:52:21

Yabu...its 10 items or lessa! (Just for balance)

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 08-Feb-13 10:32:37

Two days later and someone has shown me this thread and I'm actually weeping! Unexpected, you should deffo change your name! <cries>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now