AIBU to think that self service is 10 items or less?

(111 Posts)
M0naLisa Tue 05-Feb-13 16:47:04

Or is that not true??

The amount of people that I see take a full trolley of shopping through the self service checkouts then moan tht the bagging area isn't big enough to hold all your shopping bags because if you remove a bag the annoying voice starts wittering self service freezes until the bag is replaced!!
Just use a bloody till if your going to moan!! angry

I probably am BU but bloody hell!!!

Yanbu, theres nothing worse when in a hurry seeing someone with a humungous trolley on one of those tills!confused

juneau Tue 05-Feb-13 17:55:56

At one tescos I've been to its said above '10 items or less' not fewer

Yes, I'm aware of that. Putting incorrect grammar on a sign doesn't make it correct.

StuntGirl Tue 05-Feb-13 17:56:22

Are you fucking joking? At the supermarkets near here they try and move every bugger onto the self serve tills. I fucking hate the bastarding things, I'd actually rather queue for longer and be served by a person, not faff about on the bastarding tills myself.

Unless there is a sign saying 10 items or less I would take my full load of shopping through the self service till.

Mind you I don't go to the supermarket because everything about them pisses me off so in a way I can see where you are coming from.

GetOrf Tue 05-Feb-13 18:01:46

I would really like to go to Twatrose and cross out the 'fewer' and put 'less' on their self scan tills.

I can't get all worked up over less or fewer on a thread like this.

Charleymouse Tue 05-Feb-13 18:03:09

You need to use the handheld scanners as you walk round. The kids love it. Although it is handy to collect a pile of bags before setting off.

If you have a huge trolley with a weeks worth of shopping for 5 people, 2 cats and a tortoise you don't want to have to unload and bag it all at the self service desk or by the car boot. Funnily enough this saves you hardly any time at all!

CelineMcBean Tue 05-Feb-13 18:04:22

This is why I go to Waitrose. No self-service tills, plenty of checkouts, you can register and self-scan your shopping and most importantly, their signage says:

^Hand^baskets only

and

10 items or fewer

You just get a better class of pedant in La 'trose.

BambieO Tue 05-Feb-13 18:05:33

The self service are for trolleys or baskets, the 'express' tills or tills with signs or basket icons are for what they state.

I am actually laughing so much I feel nauseous at 10 homosexuals, the wine has not helped the situation!

CelineMcBean Tue 05-Feb-13 18:09:37

...and it's positively teeming with homosexuals too wink

spiritedaway Tue 05-Feb-13 18:11:49

Beware unexpected homosexuals in the [tea] bagging area. . .

GeorginaWorsley Tue 05-Feb-13 18:17:16

Amcring with laughter at homosexual auto correct

GeorginaWorsley Tue 05-Feb-13 18:17:55

crying ,obv
So blinded by tears can't type!!

GetOrf Tue 05-Feb-13 18:19:42

Lolol at 'beware homosexuals in the (tea) bagging area grin

MrsKeithRichards Tue 05-Feb-13 18:34:13

I'm still trying to figure out how I managed that!

complexnumber Tue 05-Feb-13 18:35:37

To me, seeing 10 items or less is as bad as 10cm or fewer. It just grates!

It's as wrong as trying to push 10 homosexuals through the self-service aisle, with or without tea bags.

Miggsie Tue 05-Feb-13 18:36:51

When DH questioned this some years ago when someone put a trolley with 1000 groceries and 12 children through, the manager rather weakly said "oh well, the sign is a guideline, not a rule".

I then suggested they put up a "can you get your good checked through this checkout in less than 2 minutes? If not, piss off"

He didn't laugh.

I stopped shopping in supermarkets, the lack of stress is lovely.

Miggsie Tue 05-Feb-13 18:41:51

oh, another point of note - DH worked on the development of these self service tills, and he doesn't use them - does this give you a hint?!

They are not intended for you to unpack homosexuals - isn't self correcting technology wonderful?

I remember my laptop once corrected my assistant Natasha as "nut case" - that looked good in a staff report.

Buzzardbird Tue 05-Feb-13 18:46:07

Actually I think it is "10 homosexuals or lessers"

Jamillalliamilli Tue 05-Feb-13 18:51:20

I'm in a wheelchair and if it will fit on my lap then it's self scanable for me and I want to pack my own shopping please.

I struggle to reach to put stuff on and off the normal belts and have to fight with them to let me pack my own stuff, if it's packed wrong I can't fit it on my lap, or into the part of the car I use. "Oh but we'll take it to your car madam." " I can fit it in the boot for you."
I know it's all very well meant, but how exactly does that solve my problem when I get home? I have already thanked you for offering me help and said the offers appreciated but I would rather do it myself.

Please let me get on with it.

Some wretched woman (customer) started trying to decide what I should scan next and hand me them the other day, knocking half of it on the floor, then reaching across to scan it for me, and I tried to explain I needed to do it in order and got a barrage of abuse that being disabled made me slower to queue behind. It doesn't actually, I'm no faster or slower than anyone else, just a standard victim of unexpected item in the bagging area.

As you where.

VonHerrBurton Tue 05-Feb-13 19:04:38

Our Tesco has a gestapo-style staff who patrol up and down shouting ' there's a basket only checkout available further down' aimed at people who clearly have trollies albeit smaller ones, sometimes pretty full.

When they say 'no im fine here thanks' you get 'You will be much quicker at the basket till....

Bullies, I tells ya. Shamed and forced to use the basket checkout!!

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 19:10:13

I had an unexpected homosexual in the bagging area once.

exoticfruits Tue 05-Feb-13 19:12:34

I thought they were just an alternative-my local supermarket has very few checkouts-they seem to want everyone to do it themselves.

CelineMcBean Tue 05-Feb-13 19:36:01

Were you buying mince LineRunner? <<innocent face>>

skullcandy Tue 05-Feb-13 19:57:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scholes34 Tue 05-Feb-13 19:59:58

No limit of 10 items. I use them for a quick shop, and I've sometimes noticed that my "quick shop" would keep some people going for a whole week. Depends which angle you're coming at it from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now