Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think that self service is 10 items or less?

(111 Posts)
M0naLisa Tue 05-Feb-13 16:47:04

Or is that not true??

The amount of people that I see take a full trolley of shopping through the self service checkouts then moan tht the bagging area isn't big enough to hold all your shopping bags because if you remove a bag the annoying voice starts wittering self service freezes until the bag is replaced!!
Just use a bloody till if your going to moan!! angry

I probably am BU but bloody hell!!!

MmeLindor Tue 05-Feb-13 17:11:05

I think that any more than 10 homosexuals at a time is just plain greedy, MrsKeith.

aldiwhore Tue 05-Feb-13 17:12:20

Usually it's basket only/10 items or fewer, the self service tills are a law unto themselves (I love them, I can shout at them without offending) but or local Sainsbury's has a big sign saying 'under 21 items'.

MrsKeithRichards love the stealth gay marriage debate haha. wink

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 05-Feb-13 17:12:37

YABU.

And I should know wink

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Feb-13 17:14:18

It's 15 items or less at my local supermarket

And the grammar police can get to fuck wink

cozietoesie Tue 05-Feb-13 17:15:27

I love 'small number of items' tills for their entertainment value. The flaring nostrils as people scan other peoples' purchases and try to work out whether it's a true 10 or whether they can complain about a pack of four somethings not being a real singleton. Can't be beaten if you're not in too much of a rush.

smile

Sparklingbrook Tue 05-Feb-13 17:17:53

I use the self serve at Tesco with my trolley, but it isn't piled high. That's because I go at 8.15 in the morning and they have one cashier on, with a queue of people with big trollies with a month's shop in hmm They obviously don't expect any customers.

MrsOakenshield Tue 05-Feb-13 17:20:03

oh God, I'm weeping with laughter at 10 homosexuals or fewer, which is unfortunate as I have an eye infection and it's making it worse. I'm completely out of control!

woopsidaisy Tue 05-Feb-13 17:20:12

Express till/10 items or less, for small amounts.
Self service till for trolley/baskets/whatever.

In my Tesco they encourage you to use the self service till with trolley.

YABU.

cozietoesie Tue 05-Feb-13 17:20:16

I suspect it's a subtle maybe not so subtle ploy to get people internet shopping for the big loads, Sparkling.

PuffPants Tue 05-Feb-13 17:21:36

I used a self-service till today - with a small trolley. There was nothing about 10 items or less. There was one available so I used it. I'm quick. I hate waiting n checkout queues.

MrsOakenshield Tue 05-Feb-13 17:21:42

in answer to the OP's question, depends on the size of the till. We have ones that a for a basketload, some with full-lengths conveyor belts and some in between.

<what a totally fucking useless post, don't know why I bothered. I'll go and de-gunk my eye now>

Loving stealth gay marriage. grin

At our local Sainsbury's they've started this intensely annoying thing of sending someone to go down the queues asking people with laden trollies if they'd like to use the self-service tills. So I conclude they are for trollies. But funnily enough, the usual answer is, no, why on earth would I want to use something where there's no space to pack and unpack?!

(Yes, I am a grouchy Luddite.)

usualsuspect Tue 05-Feb-13 17:23:44

I don't think there any rules as such, but it's a massive PITA to use them with more than a basket full of stuff.

And lol at all the 'it's fewer' posts.

Did you mean to sound so up yourselves?

Passmethecrisps Tue 05-Feb-13 17:25:42

Did you know that you can unload your bags of homosexuals while still scanning items? You don't need to have everything still on the bag scale. You do need to wait for the lights on the bottom of the terminal to go green though. You only get a few seconds then it goes red again and you have to wait until the next item.

<proud of useless information emoticon>

CloudsAndTrees Tue 05-Feb-13 17:26:49

YABU. The ones in Tescos have huge areas for packed bags, so clearly their intentions aren't just for ten items or less.

One of the deep trolleys is pushing it, but you could easily put a shallow trolley full though the self service till.

The basket only or ten items or less only aisles are a separate thing, and are not the same a s self service.

Our local Asda says "Around 20 items."

DeafLeopard Tue 05-Feb-13 17:31:16

YABU to use self service at all, because it is a staff reduction method.

That and the bastard thing keeps shouting stupid things at people.

iwillsleepagainsomeday Tue 05-Feb-13 17:40:25

i hate self service desk

M0naLisa Tue 05-Feb-13 17:42:19

At one tescos I've been to its said above '10 items or less' not fewer :-/

10 homosexuals or fewer has to be the year's best autocorrect!!

M0naLisa Tue 05-Feb-13 17:45:30

Arf at homosexuals lol

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Feb-13 17:45:46

"around 20 items" is just insultingly vague.

I've gone through them with a trolley before. I only shop for two though, so it's not a huge trolley. And I'm really fast.

hiddenhome Tue 05-Feb-13 17:47:15

In Sainsburys I've gone through with a trolley because all the other lines were too long and I was feeling very anxious and not that well and I needed to get my shopping packed and paid for as quickly as possible, then get out. I find that putting my own stuff through distracts me from my anxiety, whereas standing queuing for ages makes it much worse.

RuleBritannia Tue 05-Feb-13 17:49:41

I don't like our Sainsbo's self service tills because I never get a coupon out of them and you can't get cashback. I far prefer the usual tills where someone does the scanning while I look at the customer display. I don't like them because I'm not allowed to put my handbag where the bags are. I don't like them because I'm always being told to put the item in the bagging area. I like to put the item in a bag in the trolley because I don't like bending down to lift up the heavy bags. I just don't like them.

There is no member of staff scanning the items so why don't I get the goods at a cheaper price because no member of staff is doing it? We'll soon be stacking shelves as well!

RuleBritannia Tue 05-Feb-13 17:52:39

MOnaLisa As other posters have said, the correct term is fewer not less. If you have spotted a mistake, report it to the Manager.

I had a temporary job at a Tesco checkout once. We were supposed to give out leaflets about some sort of promotion / outing / can't remember what. There was a glaring spelling mistake (recieve) on it and I reported it. My contract was not renewed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now