To get anoyed with charity bag packers at checkouts.

(108 Posts)
Geekster Tue 05-Feb-13 13:55:23

I know I sound horrible from the above, but I get fed up of all these charities wanting to pack my bags for me. I would rather do it myself thanks so everything doesn't end up squashed. I usually ask them not to do it now. Don't get me wrong I know charities are struggling these days and they are usually for local ones like the scout hut or kids rugby club. And I always put some money in their bucket but it drives me mad sometimes.

atthewelles Thu 07-Feb-13 11:32:17

Rose most people have said they don't mind donating to worthy causes. The main complaints on here have been 1. Being put in an awkward position if every till has a packer present and you don't want to donate 2. The fact that it is not always made clear what the children are collecting for so you genuinely don't always know if you're donating to a charity; to a fund to allow opportunities for children from deprived or very poor backgrounds; or simply for a nice school trip somewhere for local school kids from perfectly comfortable backgrounds.

Surely there should be no problem with leaving a couple of tills packer free and making it very clear what the money is being requested for?

Roseformeplease Wed 06-Feb-13 20:38:48

Our local Morrisons (only supermarket for 60 miles apart from Lidl) allows bag-packing once a month only on a Saturday. It is tough to cover every till and there are tills where you can serve yourself anyway. Our children need the money to be able to do things other children take for granted: visit a museum, go to the cinema, see a big city. They are always polite and most people enjoy chatting to them. If you don't want them to pack, why don't you just say No Thank You. Honestly, teenagers don't bite. They will happily step aside. I just hope that those of you who are complaining never have to have your children involved in activities that can ONLY be afforded through fund-raising and hard work. FWIW, they also bake, run stalls, run community events, play in concerts, do plays - all to raise money so they can do things most of your children probably take for granted.

Just say, no thank you if packing your shopping is a high priority, you don't approve or you are just broke.

I hate bag packers, I'm anal about my shopping! I don't mind donating money to a worthwhile cause.
I'm far to polite to say no so either look for the one or two tills without them.
Failing that, if they're very young I give them one bag and ask them to get the fruit and veg, or if they're older I tell them my back's playing up and ask them to unload the trolley onto the conveyer belt - it's much safer!
I'm always cheerful as I've doe it myself.

hamdangle Wed 06-Feb-13 15:46:54

I always refuse because I like to pack myself and would feel uncomfortable standing there while someone did it for me. I still give a donation though because it's usually for a good cause. Once my local supermarket let the private school nearby fundraise for their skiing trip!!! It wasn't even a charity third-world-plant-a-tree-and-build-a-well thing! It was just a holiday! I don't think it's grumpy to be annoyed by this. It was clearly labelled on their buckets what they were raising for but,even so, a lot of people don't check or ask and assume its for a charity.

Unless I have completely misunderstood the rules, surely children don't need to be CRB checked and their coaches and group leaders already have been?

Surely if you are going to go down this wacky route of CRBing everything that moves, it is the customers and the check out staff who need CRB checks for the protection of the children doing the packing? confused

cumfy Wed 06-Feb-13 15:24:07

seeker, I can see why it is a fantastic idea for charities.

catladycourtney1 Wed 06-Feb-13 15:20:51

I don't understand why they'd need to be CRB checked either, they're only standing at a checkout. Should checkout operators be CRB checked too? What about customers?

But yeah, YANBU. They used to have them most weekends on every bloody till at Morrisons when I worked there, not always charities but local sports teams and stuff, I don't think I ever saw kids raising money for holidays though. But still, I always refused. I like to pack things a certain way and double-bag everything, because I'd be walking home with it. I do give a donation when I can, but I pay for everything on my card and so I often don't have any change. I hate when they stand in the doorways rattling buckets, too, but I suppose they have to raise money somehow.

atthewelles Wed 06-Feb-13 15:20:19

I didn't ask you to 'do' anything MrsDoom. I am trying to explain to sighing posters that some people don't feel comfortable saying 'no' and that is one of the reasons why people don't welcome seeing regular bag packers at their supermarket.

YANBU although I don't care if they want to offer or not. I just say no thank you. I have a system and take my own bags so they would not be helping and I pay them to keep out of the way.

I do find it a bit irritating when they don't stand back and let me get on with it though or worse still, their mates come over and start chatting but it doesn't happen that often.

WRT to the frequency of charity bag packers being in store, about once a month I would say. We have definitely had one lot since Christmas.

MrsDoomsPatterson Wed 06-Feb-13 15:09:19

You need to take that up with the supermarket really, atthewells, nowt we can do at this end!

Lurking for the crb explanation...

atthewelles Wed 06-Feb-13 14:46:49

And there are some people who feel uncomfortable having to say 'no' and would like if a couple of checkouts could be left packer free. Where's the problem? confused

seeker Wed 06-Feb-13 14:39:13

Sigh.

Because it's it's a good way for youth organizations to raise some cash.

In our case, uniformed Scouts ask politely "Would you like some help with your packing?" And the person says yes or no. If they say yes, the scout helps with the packing. If they say no, the scout doesn't. And there's a bucket the person can put 10p in if they want to. This enables our unit to carry on offering sail training to kids from a very disadvantaged area for £3 a 2 hour session.

Unfortunately, there are people who appear to consider it an infringement of their human rights to be asked.

HecateWhoopass Wed 06-Feb-13 14:34:57

I have been wracking my brains trying to work out why people who stand at the end of the aisle when you're doing your shopping would need a check to make sure they have no criminal record.

I can't think of a single valid reason.

I mean, the checkout assistants don't have to have one. So it can't even be about the possibility of working out what your PIN is or something ridiculous like that. Or perhaps it's some idea that if you're collecting money you have to have a crb? or a DBS as it's called now. The leaders will be, because they work with children. But the children don't need to be and they're the ones at the end of the aisles. Not that you can check kids anyway. The minimum age is 16. DBS is about protecting children and vulnerable adults. I think the old one used to include people who worked in finance? But I may be wrong on that. But that wouldn't apply here anyway.

I'm really baffled.

Unless it was some sort of play on the letters CRB. erm. carrier, rubbish, bag? confused

I don't let them pack my bags. I chuck a quid in and I'm fairly sure they don't care that they don't get to pack my bags.

cumfy Wed 06-Feb-13 14:33:09

Haven't seen these.

Why are supermarkets so keen to facilitate this ?

Seems they must be raking it in with every other customer "gratefully" paying them not to pack their bags.

I'm also bamboozled by the need for CRB checking. And the attitude displayed when being asked to clarify.

Nowt as strange as MN posterd.

atthewelles Wed 06-Feb-13 14:24:50

No one's 'bitching' Seeker. Some of us have just explained the reasons why we don't always welcome seeing bag packers at the checkouts or why we wish supermarkets might be more selective about the causes they ask their customers to support or give shoppers reluctant to say 'no' the option of going through a packer free checkout.
It's all about compromise really.

higgle Wed 06-Feb-13 14:24:22

I really dislike their presence. If it is a"real" charity i put something in the bucket but at our local supermarket it is usually either 6th formers collecting for their trips abroad ( my son can't afford to go) so I don't give to them. The second group I find really upsetting, and that is the air force and army cadets.
We are very anti military in our family and seeing young people being encouraged through fun activities to think about singing up to kill or be killed is pretty disgusting. I usually feel like saying "will your mother like it when she welcomes you home in a body bag?" but it doesn't seem quite right to, so I just think it.

seeker Wed 06-Feb-13 14:19:14

You know something? In a few days there will be another thread bitching about how outrageous it is that people have to pay £3 for their kids to go to Scouts.

atthewelles Wed 06-Feb-13 13:32:26

Seeker it happens regularly at my supermarket. And one of the things that bugs me is that you actually have to ask the kids what they're collecting for. The boxes always have some vague title on them that could mean anything. Why can a sign not be put up saying 'today our bagpacking are packing for (insert clear description)'. A friend of mine was telling me a while ago that her daughter's school were bagpacking for a skiing trip. They were instructed by the organisers to be 'a bit vague' if customers asked questions as they probably wouldn't want to give to something like that. That story has made me very dubious about kids collecting for unclear causes.

MrsDoomsPatterson Wed 06-Feb-13 13:23:15

Waitrose do not allow it, PuffPants, because they have their 'Community Matters' scheme.

MrsDoomsPatterson Wed 06-Feb-13 13:21:41

Begging hmm

PuffPants Wed 06-Feb-13 13:14:30

I've never encountered this. I would find it really annoying. Surely it just slows you down? Perhaps it's a regional thing. I don't want strangers fingering my groceries and making small talk with me.

I don't think Waitrose would allow begging at the tills anyway wink

jeee Wed 06-Feb-13 13:06:26

I have never seen supermarket bag packers collecting for anything other than holidays - nice, obviously middle-class children who want their trip to Peru or Cambodia funded. I pay for my own children to go on holiday, and I give money to charities that I choose to, not just those that happen to get a slot at the local Morrisons. I have no problem saying no, though.

WorriedMummy73 Wed 06-Feb-13 13:01:09

I usually just say 'no thankyou' and no one seems unduly hurt or upset. What's all the fuss about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now