To get anoyed with charity bag packers at checkouts.

(108 Posts)
Geekster Tue 05-Feb-13 13:55:23

I know I sound horrible from the above, but I get fed up of all these charities wanting to pack my bags for me. I would rather do it myself thanks so everything doesn't end up squashed. I usually ask them not to do it now. Don't get me wrong I know charities are struggling these days and they are usually for local ones like the scout hut or kids rugby club. And I always put some money in their bucket but it drives me mad sometimes.

Roseformeplease Tue 05-Feb-13 19:08:52

From the other side....We pack bags about once every 2/3 years to raise money to take our pupils, many of whom would not get there otherwise, to London. The trip is an amazing chance for pupils to visit the big city from the remote countryside and they have to raise money or they would not be able to go. This allows them to do things most children take for granted: visit a museum, see a play, see the sights. Our pupils are polite, cheerful and you can always say no thank you.

Geekster Tue 05-Feb-13 19:28:29

I'm always polite and say no thank you I don't just ignore them, and I do put some money in the bucket.

skullcandy Tue 05-Feb-13 23:45:48

from the otherside.. the checkout assistants dont much like them either

::bah humbug::

MagicHouse Tue 05-Feb-13 23:51:53

I'm really surprised at how many of you hate the bag packers! I love them - but maybe becase my own system is "chuck everything in"! I think this comes from sometimes shopping with my two small children and often packing at speed. But even if I'm on my own I'm always pleased to see bag packers. Maybe I'm just lazy!

mrsbunnylove Wed 06-Feb-13 06:22:31

can't stand them. no-one should touch my shopping. no-one other than me should pack my bag as i'm the one who has to carry it. if i know the charity, i might give a donation anyway. but hands off my stuff.

seeker Wed 06-Feb-13 06:33:47

Is there a higher percentage of mean spirited people on mumsnet, or am I just lucky in the people I know in real life?

Trigglesx Wed 06-Feb-13 06:47:17

The few groups I've seen at our local supermarket spent the entire time I was there standing at the end of the checkouts in groups of 2 and 3, chatting and ignoring the shoppers, except to ask for a donation. They didn't try to pack bags, they were far too busy chatting with each other. I mentioned to their "adult" that they'd probably get better donations if they actually either offered to pack groceries instead of talking amongst themselves.

That being said I prefer packing myself, so if I'm going to donate, I say how about you can help me pack? And I push the stuff I'd like them to pack down to their end of the checkout. That way I can keep breakables/smushables to pack myself.

CRB check mystery remains unsolved... hmm

seeker Wed 06-Feb-13 06:59:15

CRB- Cleared for Recycled Bags? Cares Responsibly for Bags? Carefully Rearranges Bananas? Chucks Random Bargains?

ripsishere Wed 06-Feb-13 07:05:25

I don't like them. My big thing is reusing my bags and not getting those flimsy supermarket carrier bags.
The last time I experienced it was in Sainsbury's. Not sure what the group were, possibly football. I asked them to use my cloth bags. I still ended up with about 12 carriers because the checkout woman left them on the side rather than begrudgingly counting them out.
Also, I seldom have proper money. I normally pay with switch.

ripsishere Wed 06-Feb-13 07:05:48

And I am failing to see the necessity of a CRB.

seeker Wed 06-Feb-13 07:18:21

Say no thank you. Drop 20p in the bucket if you want to. Not if you don't. I don't believe that people have absolutely no change at all in their purse.

To put a different perspective on it- ds's Scout group made nearly £600 bag packing recently. Enough money to repair their dinghys so that they can sail all summer- kids from a vary disadvantaged area who couldn't possibly afford to learn to sail have 2 hours a week sail training for £2.00. Without the bag packing money that wouldn't have happened this year.

EugenesAxe Wed 06-Feb-13 07:23:04

Never come across this but sounds terrible... like toilet flunkies in pubs and clubs.

I guess like someone said it would only be truly objectionable if they persisted. I am a bit OCD about packing because I arrange most things according to which place it will be unpacked to once home.

Mehrida Wed 06-Feb-13 08:12:15

Wow, I know it can be irritating that your bags aren't packed how you like them but you can always say no in fact we'd rather you did and just left a donation.

Anyway, before you turn into 'one of the grumpy ones', consider that these kids are working their butts off to raise funds for something they believe in and/or really want to do. I've done 7 hour bagpacking shifts and it's knackering. Not just the packing but the constant being nice to people, who often look down their noses at you and make you feel like a nuisance.

A lot of work goes into organising them, and it took us four hours to count it all last year, sorting the cash and weeding out the polos, canadian cents and other random crap that it's 'funny' to throw in the bucket.

I'd sure as hell rather give my money to these kids than have them being spoilkt, entitled and expecting their parents to pay for everything.

And CRB checks? Really? Okaaaaay...

Panzee Wed 06-Feb-13 11:06:46

seeker I'm starting to wonder too! I only got one or two refusals when I did it.

atthewelles Wed 06-Feb-13 11:18:31

The point though is that the bag packing thing can be a bit in your face. I have no objection to people working in the supermarket for a couple of hours to raise money for something. But by having bag packers at every checkout you're giving shoppers little choice as to whether they will donate or not. I know you can 'say no', but a lot of shoppers feel that puts them in an awkward situation.
The supermarkets should agree that half their tills can be used for bag packing on these days, leaving the other half free for shoppers who don't want to/can't afford to donate or who don't have any cash on them.

That way the supermarket are giving their shoppers a choice and not making them feel forced or hi-jacked into donating to something they don't wish to.

seeker Wed 06-Feb-13 11:36:38

So what might they be collecting for that you wouldn't want to donate 20p to? I doubt if Sainsbury's would allow the BNP to raise funds that way.

lurkerspeaks Wed 06-Feb-13 11:42:10

I usually give them money not to pack. I can't stand my shopping being badly arranged/ packed.

My sister used to organise the kids from the youth organisation she was involved in to do bag packing - it was mindblowingly difficult as none of them will pack in a supermarket near home in case their friends see them.

The peer pressure surrounding doing something like this at the weekend (ie the pressure is not to do it) is huge so I definitely think the kids that turn up shoudl be supported.

DOI: used to train the (paid) christmas bag packers at a major food retailer and also have a system involving groceries/ bag packing and travelling home.

MERLYPUSS Wed 06-Feb-13 11:44:17

I was bag packing at Sainsbos in early December. I was with a 10 yr old boy cub. We politely asked if people needed help packing. One member of public said 'Good God I wouldn't let him touch my shopping'. That's just rude.
Some people also inferred that I couldn't pack. I haven't reached this ripe old age with sucessfully packing a few loaves and getting them home unsquashed!

There are two solutions:

- no thanks
- use the self scanning app and do your packing as you shop.

And you can put this in the bulls**t bingo card - this is such a first world problem. Where I come from this is someone's fulltime job (and yes plastic shopping bags are not free) and people are actually living off the small pittance they get from pumping petrol in the car and washing windscreens and 'looking after' parked cars.

MrsDoomsPatterson Wed 06-Feb-13 12:16:21

You're just lucky, Seeker (as are my lot when they do it, thank God it's once a year)

atthewelles Wed 06-Feb-13 12:16:40

So what might they be collecting for that you wouldn't want to donate 20p to? I doubt if Sainsbury's would allow the BNP to raise funds that way. Quote

A lot of people are on tight budgets and having to constantly throw a handful of change at bagpackers is just not something they want to do. I myself, on very tight days, have literally gone around the supermarket pricing what I'm getting to make sure I have enough money when I get to the checkout, deliberately choosing a cheaper brand over a more expensive one etc and then my heart sinks when I see a bag packer standing there eagerly.

Other people like to choose the charities they wish to donate to and don't like being faced with people packing for this, that and the other every second time they go to Tesco.

Other people do not like being expected to donate to school kids trips abroad etc which is often the 'cause' the bag packers are collecting for.

It's obviously not a problem for you. That's fine, your choice. Other people would like a choice as well.

Marlinspike Wed 06-Feb-13 12:17:14

Now illegal to CRB check anyone <16..... not sure why bagpackers would need them in the first place!

MrsDoomsPatterson Wed 06-Feb-13 12:29:13

You have a choice, atthewells! You say "No thank you"

atthewelles Wed 06-Feb-13 12:37:45

Read my point upthread MrsDoom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now