Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To get anoyed with charity bag packers at checkouts.

(108 Posts)
Geekster Tue 05-Feb-13 13:55:23

I know I sound horrible from the above, but I get fed up of all these charities wanting to pack my bags for me. I would rather do it myself thanks so everything doesn't end up squashed. I usually ask them not to do it now. Don't get me wrong I know charities are struggling these days and they are usually for local ones like the scout hut or kids rugby club. And I always put some money in their bucket but it drives me mad sometimes.

FFS, just say no thanks, christ on a bike, these are young people giving up their time and getting off their asses to do something.

Viviennemary Tue 05-Feb-13 15:14:35

I get annoyed about a lot of things but not this. I think it's quite sweet that they are giving up their time to pack bags. Just choose a checkout where there aren't bag packers. There isn't usually one to every checkout.

Stricnine Tue 05-Feb-13 15:18:28

I'm with fireside - what a bunch of grumps you lot are so far YABU... I work with local groups (mainly girlguides) and it's a real struggle to get a Bag packing gig, although it can raise good money.. most supermarkets are very fussy about who they let in...

If you don't want them to pack your bags just say so - they always ask - it's part of the deal - Supermarkets don't want to hack off the customers afterall!

Next time chat to the kids -- you may be pleasantly surprised!

atthewelles Tue 05-Feb-13 15:20:07

In my local supermarket they're always at every checkout.

Re the Private School thing, I can totally understand this objection. Money is quite tight for me at the moment so while I'm happy to give to people collecting for the homeless, the disabled, third world charities etc I don't personally want to contribute towards school trips to third world countries. For that reason I would really appreciate a couple of packer free checkouts so that I could avoid the bag packers as I don't feel comfortable just saying 'no' to them. I'd just prefer not to be put into that position.

chocoluvva Tue 05-Feb-13 15:20:26

I don't give to children asking for help with their charitable trips either. I'd buy something if I wanted it, but bag-packing by children is rarely a help IME.

Yermina, I wonder how many supermarket goes would pay you to pack their bags if you were doing it to raise the funds to pay for private-school fees?! grin

Crinkle77 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:32:30

YANBU. I like to pack things in a certain way so it's easier when I get home. e.g. I will pack all the fridge stuff together, frozen stuff together etc... The bag packers just mix everything up. Plus I would rather decide for myself if I want to support a charity or good cause. I do not want it foisted upon me because you feel like you don't really have a choice. Obviously you do have a choice but you would look like a right arse if you said no.

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Tue 05-Feb-13 16:00:15

I don't like cleaning products in with food which is what tends to happen if I let bag packers do it :-/ It completely buggers up my system so I tend to politely decline, otherwise I'd hover over them and end up unpacking the bags and redoing them which I'm sure they wouldn't like smile

atthewelles Tue 05-Feb-13 16:05:40

If supermarkets are going to allow kids to pack bags surely they should give them a quick training session first - fragile stuff like eggs and crackers go on top, cartons of milk and tins of beans go on the bottom etc.

PessaryPam Tue 05-Feb-13 16:08:14

They are my bags and I know how to pack them, its basically nowt to do with any disability.

NikkiH Tue 05-Feb-13 16:09:54

DS2 did a bag pack to raise money for his junior football team. I did it with him and packed most of the bags for him much to his annoyance. However - in my defence - I did it because I groan when I see a youngster at the end of the till bag packing when I'm shopping cos it's generally all piled in together or there's no thought put into what they put where. I know, I'm a control freak but hopefully those shoppers that took us up on the offer appreciated my efforts!

PickledInAPearTree Tue 05-Feb-13 18:16:29

I give the kids money and pack my own bags!

grin

Hollygolightley Tue 05-Feb-13 18:18:56

Yabu .

HollyBerryBush Tue 05-Feb-13 18:23:56

its not difficult to do what I do, with a smile "I'll give you a pount to not pack my bags"

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Tue 05-Feb-13 18:24:40

YANBU, they can make you feel very uncomfortable if you don't actually have any change on you, (which I don't alot of the time because it all goes into DS's moneybox) - even if you politely decline help, I always feel they're looking at me expectantly with sad eyes and empty buckets and I end up feeling like a complete pile of badger poo.

loofet Tue 05-Feb-13 18:24:50

I hate self service checkouts but if bag packers are in I use them grin

Panzee Tue 05-Feb-13 18:31:07

I've bag packed for a local homeless shelter. Most people were fine, I always asked if there were any requests re the packing, nearly everyone said "just put it in together". One snotty man said he'd only let me if I didn't make a mess of it, I asked him if he had any requests and he said "don't put the tins on top of the tomatoes". So I told him I would try my best. grin

I think I only got about 2 refusals so you must all be on this thread!

I also went to the weigh point for people who had forgotten to weigh fruit and veg, and went to collect forgotten items too.

ChiefOwl Tue 05-Feb-13 18:35:56

Out of interest then - if your son/daughter is in guides/scouts/sea cadets etc Would you rather they did bag packing at ASDA's or would you rather as a parent give a donation to help fund things for your unit?

seeker Tue 05-Feb-13 18:41:32

I've got a special secret code you can use if you don't want your bag packed. I really really shouldn't tell anyone- but since it's mumsnet.........

Are you ready?

Sure? Promise not to tell any non mumsnetters?

Ok

It's..............."No thank you"

skullcandy Tue 05-Feb-13 18:44:25

i've read it and read it and read it, and i still dont get it. clearly i'm stupid, or perhaps you're just not talking plain english?

I can't see why they'd need a crb check either...

Narked Tue 05-Feb-13 18:55:17

I put money in the bucket and ask them not to pack grin

MrsDoomsPatterson Tue 05-Feb-13 18:58:20

You can get annoyed all you like, dear op. It's not your concern that these folk have given up their free time to pack your beans on top of your value sausages. Think on, oh happy one.....

In the words of Zammo: "Just say no" (thanks very much)

ouryve Tue 05-Feb-13 18:59:58

They don't bother me. I rarely use them, as I'm a control freak about how my bags are packed, but I usually give one of the boys a handful of change to throw in the bucket, regardless.

sunshine401 Tue 05-Feb-13 19:01:43

I had a wonderful little boy at Asda the other day. He was with his mother and he raising money for his school.
I did however do most the packing myself and he had one bag which I passed him the soft items for. He was adorable and bless him for spending his evening doing that after being at school all day grin

Dahlen Tue 05-Feb-13 19:06:33

I get a little irritated because I rarely carry cash so often I cannot make a donation. Which makes me feel mean, even though I am not psychic and have no way of knowing whether charity bag packers will be in the supermarket on any given day. Plus the charity is rarely freely given, it's coerced. Few decent-minded people can look a charity bag packer in the eye and say "No, I don't want to support your charity."

That said, I can't say I ever think about it other than the precise moment in time I am faced with one at the checkout and think "shit, I've got no cash on me and no I'm not getting cashback just for you."

<disclaimer: I often give to charity so I'm not a tight-fisted skinflint>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now