Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Why would ex need ds passport number?

(67 Posts)
howdoyouknowjenny Mon 04-Feb-13 20:38:22

Just had a text. No info just asking for the number?

narmada Fri 08-Feb-13 22:59:32

What happened OP? Did your ExDP explain what he was up to? Did you contact anyone about this? HOpe it all worked out OK.

Don't give him the number, do ring the passport agency to log your concerns and prevent a replacement being sent out.

PeppermintCreams Tue 05-Feb-13 21:58:14

Could he just be really thick, and wants to open a savings account and thinks he just needs a passport number? <clutches at straws>

Write DS's passport number in your diary or his red book, but transpose two of the digits, to cover yourself if you "accidentally" tell him the wrong number.

Lots of good advice above about getting the passport marked.

KindleMum Tue 05-Feb-13 21:02:15

Ballstoit - I claimed for a few years, then left the country for a bit and was honest enough to cancel my claim. Starting a new claim is a total nightmare. I don't see that should mean I have to hand over my passport for a minimum of 12 weeks. My prior claim ended less than 2 years ago, we've been back in the UK with DH working and paying tax for some months now. In fact, we were still paying UK tax all time we were out of the UK. I think they're being entirely unreasonable. It's not as if my passport really proves that we're back in the UK for good - DH's employment is a better indicator of that or DS being in school.

ballstoit Tue 05-Feb-13 20:38:35

Kindle Have you been out of the country for some time? Why are you only just making a claim for Child Benefit?

KindleMum Tue 05-Feb-13 12:32:34

Yes, in my case, HMRC are insisting on having the passports sent to them. It didn't occur to me to ask what they do if people haven't yet needed to get a passport for their kids. I have offered certified copies or to take them to a local tax office so they can take their own copy but they are insisting they need it sent in and will void my claim if I don't do so. I can't do so, therefore I expect to be making an official complaint soon. I don't expect to win but I am furious that they are being so unreasonable. I'm particularly annoyed as I don't see why they can't just check the details with the Passport Office like the DVLA and other gov depts do.

My children could claim Irish citizenship via their grandparents and when I eventually get round to doing that, I know I'll need to list their UK passport numbers on the form. Maybe he's doing something like that.

bigmouthlala Tue 05-Feb-13 11:57:00

You don't need a passport to claim benwfits such as tax credits but a passport number/ passport details are one thing that HMRC might ask to see if they are trying to establish identities, or that someone is the resident parent - usually alongside other docs tho.

Even if your ex-p is British OP, there is still the possibility he could go somewhere in the EEA easily.

I agree with others - you need to establish why he needs this number and then if yiu have reason to be worried go and get some free advice from a family law centre.

ihearsounds Tue 05-Feb-13 11:36:30

Do not give him the number.
Do contact passport agency to inform them that someone will possibly be making a fraudulent claim.
Do seek legal advice about getting something in place for ports. I cannot remember what it is called. But there is something that you can apply for to block exit from country. It's not fool proof but better than nothing.
If he is from another country, contact his embassy to find out how to block a passport application. You might need a solicitor to do this, depending on country.

My friend had to do the above to stop ex taking children. But he had hinted at doing it if they evey split up. He went to his embassy to make a passport application with the ow posing as the dc's mum. But they had already been notified.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 05-Feb-13 11:01:06

OP - do you think that your ex is planning to take your DS abroad? If so I think you urgently need the advice of a solicitor.

Narked Tue 05-Feb-13 10:54:56

You need to find out how to flag both passports so your child can't leave the country without your consent.

Narked Tue 05-Feb-13 10:53:23

Ah. That's a fair point. If your child could have dual nationality they could have two passports.

AnyFucker Germany Tue 05-Feb-13 10:53:02

one of my children didn't even have a passport until he was 5yo

they are not a requirement, like a birth cert is for certain things

and yes, we opened bank accounts, moved house, claimed various monies etc all without a passport for him

DorisIsWaiting Tue 05-Feb-13 10:11:55

Kindle surely you can do all of those with a birthd cert. My dc (bar one) have never had a passport, we are all registered with the doctors etc.

clam Tue 05-Feb-13 09:54:08

kindle I presume you mean the actual passports? This guy is only asking for the numbers. Noone is disputing that passports themselves are needed for all sorts of things.

KindleMum Tue 05-Feb-13 09:49:48

Can be needed for all sorts of things. In the last 6 months as we've moved, I have needed the kids' passports to register them with doctors, with school and am currently involved in a huge row with HMRC who want to have mine, DH's and DCs' passports for a minimum of 12 weeks in order for me to claim child benefit. I cannot give them our passports for 12 weeks as we're buying a house and I need them for that and the subsequent doctor change etc. We're all British FWIW.

Could he be registering the child for a foreign citizenship ie dual nationality? That also usually requires you to put details of passports already held.

I'd just ask him. If you're then suspicious or if your relationship is such that you need to be suspicious, then act accordingly.

Arithmeticulous Tue 05-Feb-13 09:46:59

Given that not every child has a passport, needing it to do something like open a bank account would be odd. If it were true.

mumofapirate Tue 05-Feb-13 09:43:40

tell him wrong number then quiz him when you see him/ offer to post a copy or take it in to the bank youself?

clam Tue 05-Feb-13 09:37:37

My parents were at the bank last week opening new accounts for my DCs. They said they either needed the actual passports (which I couldn't let them have as we're going away next week and need them - no time to get them back) or birth certificates.
Nothing about numbers.
OP, you really MUST face "the hassle" of checking this out. If you can't face confronting him, then do what others have suggested on here and contact the passport office itself and put a flag on them. Although he will presumably be cross when he discovers his plans thwarted when if he applies for new ones and is refused. Take steps to protect yourself from that when the time comes.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Tue 05-Feb-13 08:56:02

My ds is 3 doesn't have a passport, but does have savings accounts etc I can't think of any reason why you'd need the numbers?

Sounds very dodgy

mrsbunnylove Tue 05-Feb-13 05:47:22

is he a foreign national or does he have family abroad? if so, you might have a problem. i'd look into getting some legal support.

freddiefrog Tue 05-Feb-13 00:42:40

I have 7 and 11 year olds and have opened various accounts for them over the years and never needed a passport or a passport number.

My youngest didn't even have a passport until she was 5

A birth certificate has always been acceptable

NatashaBee Tue 05-Feb-13 00:38:09

Agree with the others, I have had to show my passport as ID when opening an account, but the only thing I've ever used the number for is booking travel. I'd be onto to the passport office first thing tomorrow to get them to notify you if a new passport is applied for. Is your child's father from a different country?

What sowornout said.

If he has asked for the number it's because he is planning to take your child out of the country at some point. If he has told you it's for a bank account then he is not being truthful, which implies he intends to take your child without either your knowledge or permission - or both.

This isn't the time to worry about it being "not worth the hassle" - this is the time where nothing is too much hassle to make sure your child is safe and cannot be taken out of the country.

FWIW my DD has had a passport since she was a week old. She also has a bank account and a building society account. Neither of them asked for her passport number. The only people who have EVER asked for it are Easyjet and Ryanair - who needed it when we flew backwards and forwards to Germany, where we lived when she was born.

quoteunquote Tue 05-Feb-13 00:13:27

*THIS*

what sowornout said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now