To think you don't need to check the temperature of the baby pool to take your 10 month old swimming

(33 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Sun 03-Feb-13 15:15:08

Surely at a public baths the water is warm enough for a crawling/walking baby

The is an nct group of about 7 families having a massive discussion about it and one of them has just asked if they can use their own thermometer to check the water, not trusting the displayed temperature

Pfb much?

Adamit Sun 03-Feb-13 15:16:48

public baths? that an english way of saying a public pool? not sure what the nct group is either. was it the kids pool?

sausagesandwich34 Sun 03-Feb-13 15:17:58

Yes public pool lol

Nct group is a baby/antenatal group

Massive PFB. Yes the pool is fine.

Hahahaha. Brilliant. How about stick an elbow in? Or a baby.

Adamit Sun 03-Feb-13 15:22:25

am sure the pool is fine. let them off. why the hell are 7 families involved what happened to create such a fuss?

MortifiedAdams Sun 03-Feb-13 15:22:32

Hahaha I would pee my cozzie if I saw someone come into the public pool and take the temperature for baby swimming.
grin

What is the approved 'baby swimming temperature' do you think?

edwinbear Sun 03-Feb-13 15:25:26

I wonder what they expected to be done if the temperature wasn't right?

Boil a few kettles edwin. how do they manage at the seaside? shock

sausagesandwich34 Sun 03-Feb-13 15:27:54

There are 7 of them because they are having a meet up, wearing the babies out and then going for a meal and no I'm not that nosey, they are just very loud and performance parenting

OMG sausage I pity the poor food emporium they may descend on. grin

janey68 Sun 03-Feb-13 15:31:21

Oh god they sound like a nightmare. Avoid.

Adamit Sun 03-Feb-13 15:32:53

hop into pool and starting maiking monkey noises while gasping "hot hot hot".

Hahahahahahaha. Ouch. I just fell off the sofa laughing.

One of the mums at my Water Babies class did this (he rest of us did this: hmm) although in her defence Water Babies did say the pool was over 30 degrees and it didn't bloody feel like it was!

BooksandaCuppa Sun 03-Feb-13 15:33:15

My ds would go blue and have an asthma attack if the water in a swimming pool was not generously heated (until about age 8).

But I wouldn't need a thermometer to tell whether that was likely to happen or not. Just my elbow.

Cherriesarelovely Sun 03-Feb-13 15:33:16

Pfb indeed....however, my mum used to take Dd swimming when she was little and had to stop because the baby pool was unavailable and the big pool was so cold Dd was turning blue! Made her water phobic for about 3 months!!!!

I dunno, some of my local pools are bloody freezing. The kids don't seem to mind though...just me!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 03-Feb-13 15:38:44

Well, I wouldn't go as far as taking a thermometer, and I think nothing bad is likely to happen from a slightly cold pool, but I've been in baby pools that were a bit cold, especially since you aren't moving a round an awful lot, just jigging a baby.

I think an elbow or a toe would have done. or was this before anyone got their costumes on?

CaseyShraeger Sun 03-Feb-13 15:41:13

Some public pools are pretty cold. But you don't need a thermometer; use a neoprene wrap with the baby and get out when he's clearly feeling too cold. If that's after about 5 minutes, don't use that pool again.

Fairylea Sun 03-Feb-13 15:41:36

How about a test tube to take a water sample to test for diseases etc too ?? smile

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 03-Feb-13 15:42:14

My local swimming pool hasn't managed to design a poolside with non-slip tiles, despite having had about a decade to plan and get it right. The changing rooms are crap too.

RugBugs Sun 03-Feb-13 15:42:25

Our bath thermometer is a yellow duck with a forehead type strip along the side.
I now have a vision of mums floating such a thing in a pool and trying to read the temp!

Erimentha Sun 03-Feb-13 15:45:33

OMG I think I would wet myself laughing if I was at the swimming pool and someone came in with a thermometer to test the temp. DD2 was terrible for feeling the cold when swimming so if I anticipated that the water was going to be cold I would just put more layers on her. Swim nappy, happy nappy, shortie costume, shortie wetsuit. Surely they will have already paid to go swimming to be able to get to the water to test the temp? What would they do if they felt it was too cold? I'd love to here the conversation as they tried to convince whoever was on the main desk that they needed to be let through to test the water temp with their own thermometer before paying to go swimming grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now