Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to want a small wedding?

(38 Posts)
milf90 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:40:57

I admit, i have always been one of those girls who dreams of having a big, expensive wedding - but now the date for planning seems to be getting closer, i am having second thoughts.

i dont like being centre of attention (im naturally a shy person) and we have a 18 month old and the money could be put to much better use. (i.e saving for a bigger house in a nicer area) the wedding day itself is seeming less important atm and the marriage more so.

OH is saying there is no way we can have a smaller wedding, due to how much bigger his family is. he is saying that if we dont invite people they will be offended. people have invited us to their weddings so it would be rude not to reciprocate... etc.etc. this is made worse by the fact his sister is getting married next year and is having a big wedding and inviting everyone (they dont have children and arent concerned about getting even more into debt - if i sound bitter its because i am ;) )

i say that its our day and we should be able to do it how we want to and people will understand if we cant afford to invite them because we have a toddler.

AIBU??

Rache1S Mon 04-Feb-13 09:39:09

YANBU.

Money wasn't an issue for us but we both decided we simply did not want a big wedding. In fact we decided we did not want an evening reception at all so our wedding just consisted of a ceremony followed by a formal wedding breakfast and then we (the bride still in my wedding dress & groom plus about 20 guests) went straight to a 4 day music festival from the wedding. We are very happy about the way we did it and enjoy looking back on our wedding, which wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but was perfect for us.

Putting that into practice though was quite tough as no matter how hard you try otherwise, you do worry about offending people by not inviting them. We started off wanting 40 guests and this crept up to 60 so things did grow bigger than originally planned, but it was still quite small and intimate and just what we wanted. As far as I am aware, none of the non-invitees are offended about it at all.

Do what makes you and your fiancee happy first and foremost. Offended parents (who don't get to invite Great Aunt X) will get over it. This is the only day of your whole life which is solely about what you and your fiancee want, not anybody else, and you don't want to end up looking back bitterly wishing you'd not bowed to outside pressures.

Be selfish, it's your day grin

JollyRedGiant Mon 04-Feb-13 09:36:35

We had a wedding with the two of us, our two closest friends and DS. It was perfect. I have a huge, close family. DH has a very small not close family. It was the only way to do it without inviting 100s of people.

It cost about £2000 in total but we spent around £1000 on rings.

Ragwort Mon 04-Feb-13 09:32:27

YANBU and I agree totally with you, personally I loathe big, flashy weddings (but that's just me grin). And a wedding is just one day in the whole of your married life yet it is so full of angst and a waste of money.

However, the key thing is for you and your fiance to decide together what you both want, if you can't agree on something this fundamental are there other areas in your life together where you will have big differences ?

Trills Mon 04-Feb-13 09:31:02

If your DH doesn't actually want a big wedding but feels that his family will try to pressure him into having one then he needs to learn to stand up to them (especially since you have a child).

Trills Mon 04-Feb-13 09:28:17

Your wedding is for you and your partner.

Not for anyone else.

You don't owe them anything.

Trills Mon 04-Feb-13 09:27:55

<lurks to enjoy the inevitable competitive cheap wedding stories>

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 04-Feb-13 09:20:54

YANBU and doing anything because it's expected or tradition just for the sake of it is daft.

If you want a big wedding, that's fine. If you prefer a smaller do, that's fine too. It's not always about the budget - I didn't want the whole centre-of-attention, let's-invite-my-auntie's-cousin's-niece either. If you think having a big event will make life harder afterwards, it makes sense not to go mad. A wedding is one day out of a marriage - yes it's special to you but the world won't stop if you scale it back. As anyone arranging one knows, as soon as you add the word 'wedding' it seems to pile on the cost. Why not have a small wedding then a big party later?

CuthbertDibble Mon 04-Feb-13 08:51:17

We just had 25 people at our ceremony and wedding breakfast (immediate family only, no aunts, uncles), we invited everyone else (approx. 200) to the evening reception.

It worked really well but we'd been very open about our plans from day one. Everyone knew that it was effectively an evening only do unless you were our parents or siblings.

maninawomansworld Mon 04-Feb-13 08:36:22

Yes I think you are being a bit U.

A wedding is a day you'll never have again and having all the people who matter to you in attendance is probably one of the most important things.
My OH and I are in exactly the same situation, she wants a bigger wedding than I would like (not due to wanting to be a princess or any of that but because she has a big family and lots of friends), I am less fussed and would prefer to spend the money on a bit of work on the house, a holiday, indulging a few hobbies etc.. and generally not having to watch our spending and penny pinch all the time because we're really saving hard for the wedding.

However, we bought a really nice house last year that I fell in love with. We both love it but she's less bothered and would have been happy in a nice place on a surburban housing development whereas I'm a country boy through and through and said 'no way' so we bought a big(ish) place in the countryside with some land and no neighbours for miles because she recognised that it was really important to me. Shoe's on the other foot now and I recognise that a big(ish) wedding is what we need to have to invite everyone so that's what we're doing... to deny her the opportunity to share the day with all her friends and family for the sake of a few quid would just be mean! I guess it's different if you really, genuinely don't have the money but for us it just means a few months of belt tightening and we'll be there.

mrsjay Sun 03-Feb-13 23:20:01

yanbu stick to your guns have a bigger reception at night, I had a small wedding but was bigger than we wanted because MIl insisted auntie so n so had to go these aunties were friends of hers and they all came, I stuck to my own original family invites though and had an evening do

elizaregina Sun 03-Feb-13 23:16:28

only skim read and no you are def NBU esp when your little one gets older and needs more things and wants lessons and cash will be tight and you wull feel bitter about large wedding.

smalls weddings are wonderful, its about you.

Peevish Sun 03-Feb-13 23:12:22

I appreciate that it's your other half's wedding too, but it doesn't sound as if he actually wants a big wedding, just feels that people will be offended if not invited. I knew that if my partner and I had a wedding with anyone invited we would get exactly the same shtick from my parents - 'You can't not invite Great-Auntie Nora', despite the fact none of us have seen her since about 1985, and because we both have big extended families, we would have ended up with about 300+.

So we had a registry office lunchtime quickie with two witnesses and no guests, and people had to deal with it. For what it's worth, no one has expressed the slightest offence - I suspect some were rather relieved.

LivingThings Sun 03-Feb-13 22:45:44

I got married in a hotel chapel in Las Vegas, just me and DH. Wedding planner and photographer for witnesses. Didn't invite anyone so noone could claim to be offended. Saved a fortune which paid for our two week arizona road trip honeymoon. Small family party once we were home.

mardyelsie Sun 03-Feb-13 22:15:11

I'm getting married at the end of March. At the wedding will be our three kids, two witnesses, my parents and DF's father. We're going to Pizza Express afterwards. That's too many guests as far as I'm concerned, but it's the minimum we can get away with.

jamdonut Sun 03-Feb-13 21:31:10

It sounds lovely...and I think there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't just have a family meal afterwards.
The rest of our families still get on with me and DH despite not coming to our wedding. There didn't seem to be any bad feeling .
It was my Mum and Step-Dad, my Dad and Step-mother, DH's Mum and Dad, our siblings and their partners and children and our grandparents, and one Auntie and Uncle and my cousin (my God-parents). DH's Aunties and Uncles were not able to attend. Then we had a one night honeymoon in a hotel near Windsor.
It was all we could afford!

specialsubject Sun 03-Feb-13 20:01:14

you are planning the day and you can 'get away with' whatever you want as long as it is not 'give me lots of money' :-)

you WILL be centre of attention (I found my quickie registry office job quite cringey as I was quite shy then, although I'm not now) so if you don't want that, you need a 2-witness, no family job.

anyone who is offended about not being invited to a wedding isn't worth bothering with. You are being sensible in not wasting money that you don't have on an OTT party.

milf90 Sun 03-Feb-13 19:51:52

jamdonut getting married in a castle has been my dream since primary school and the one I'm looking at can only fit 40 people altogether, including registrar and people who work there, so we wouldn't be able to have many more people then you. I don't think it being a castle rather than a register office means I want to be centre of attention. I'd quite like just to go out for a normal family meal afterwards and that would be it, but I don't think I would get away with that!!

We had about 50 people to ours, which was more than I wanted (I would have quite happily slipped away to a desert island but mum would never have forgiven me) and considerably less than my mum wanted, so it was a compromise for both of us but it was lovely, it was in a beautiful big country house which is used as a conference centre, had the whole day there from ceremony till the small hours and it had rooms so we could all stay the night too.

jamdonut Sun 03-Feb-13 19:23:07

When you said SMALL wedding...I thought you meant like mine! Register office, immediate family only (20 people including 6 children) and back to our very small flat for a buffet and some champagne and cake cutting. I wasn't thinking castles!! For someone who doesn't want to be centre of attention, I think you are going an odd way about it!confused

AdoraBell Chile Sun 03-Feb-13 19:22:45

YANBU

We had a small wedding, OH thought he was somehow letting me down -thought every woman wants the big white fairy tale wedding. Once he realised that I didn't want to be the centre of attention he relaxed. PILs weren't happy, but they had their wedding decades ago, this was OH's and minewink

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Sun 03-Feb-13 19:17:53

I love smaller weddings. We had a small wedding and it was perfect. I don't know if we pissed anyone off but we didn't ask grin

YorkshireDeb Sun 03-Feb-13 19:12:11

You don't necessarily have to cut down numbers to keep the cost down (although I see you may be limited by the castle idea). I'd just say that the best wedding I've ever been to was the one with the smallest budget. Think about things that will make it a special, memorable day. I guarentee it's not stuff like chair covers & chocolate fountains. A bit of imagination goes a lot further than a big budget. X

milf90 Sun 03-Feb-13 17:44:13

Thank you all for your replies smile

a few of you have commented on the fact i said "my wedding" rather than our - thats because OH actually thinks weddings are a waste of money (hence why i think its ridiculous that he wants to spend so much more money on it!!) and doesnt really have an opinion on anything to do with the wedding - other than this i guess! dont get me wrong, we love each other very much, but the whole wedding things isnt really him! (again why having a big wedding is ridiculous!)

im trying to research venues that we can use for wedding breakfast/receptions that will keep the cost down a bit. my only 'request' really for the wedding is that we get married in a castle (neither of us are religious) - this isnt really something im going to back down on and OH isnt bothered where we get married. i can do this for about £300 + registrar costs, but it would be for 40 people only due to health and safety. other castles are far more expensive.

i would quite like to have a marquee in somebody's garden, but we dont have anyone with a big enough garden! FIL used to own a field behind his house which would have been perfect, but unfortunately it belongs to someone else now and has horses in it!! i suppose we could always ask though??

gillyweed - i hope your day goes well and you have a lovely day despite it becoming bigger than you expected!!

thegreylady Sun 03-Feb-13 15:55:02

My dd and her df had a limited budget and lots of friends and family. We had a marquee in a friend's field in walking distance of the church and a Mediterranean buffet. Friends and family brought wine and in laws provided beer. We donated champagne. It was amazing-total cost under £5000.

McNewPants2013 Sun 03-Feb-13 15:46:57

We only invited people who are normally a part of our lives.

I don't see the point of inviting family who can not normally give you the time of day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now