to think that you should always check first

(55 Posts)

....before reposting, sharing or retweeting chainmail type guff? Especially when it has a political slant to it. It only takes a moment to check a story on Snopes or Hoax Slayer. It would stop you looking like an idiot and would save my blood pressure!

This week alone I've seen people forwarding stories about Muslim communities in the UK being allowed to mete out justice according to Sharia law instead of British law; one about Facebook's privacy settings; one saying that Julia Gillard has told Muslim immigrants to adapt to Australian life or leave; and one claiming that drinking too many diet fizzy drinks will give you MS. hmm

I feel a friend cull coming on but in the meantime AIBU?

BaresarkBunny Tue 05-Feb-13 15:49:40

grin garlic brilliant. Think I will be using that reply.

Raising awareness of real risks and their potential solutions - good thing.
Perpetuating idiotic hoaxes and scaremongering - bad thing.

filibear Mon 04-Feb-13 19:57:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

grin garlic

garlicblocks Mon 04-Feb-13 18:50:29

it's better to be safe than sorry

It is! By checking Snopes to see whether it's safe to follow the advice or you'll be sorry you made yourself look like a hysterical prat.

BaresarkBunny Mon 04-Feb-13 14:32:38

When I have linked to snopes there have been so many people comment how it's better to be safe than sorry.hmm

CalpolInMyEar Mon 04-Feb-13 14:17:57

My bank card PIN is a palindrome, which I really enjoy pointing out when the "Put your PIN in backwards" ones do the rounds.

I do occasionally hang around at the cash point in case a hot policeman turns up to rescue me but it never happens sad

My uncle, who was fairly high up in the police at one point, used to forward these things so all our family were convinced they must be true because why would he pass them in if they weren't? I used to respond with Snopes links so now they don't bother to send me them.

As for the ones on facebook, almost everything now inspires the reaction "That's another hoax then?" so if one day one of these things turns out to be true I'll be screwed!

ChristianGreyIsAJackass Mon 04-Feb-13 13:50:35

OohThankyou, good idea, I dont have a pin on my phone though, I should do I suppose

musicmadness Mon 04-Feb-13 13:49:12

"in case of emergency" contact. You can get to them without the pin on some phones. If you click emergency call on my lock screen you can dial 999 etc and there is a link on that screen to my ICE contact. No pin required smile

ChristianGreyIsAJackass Mon 04-Feb-13 13:30:42

What's ICE?

That makes much more sense Catsu, cheers! blush

How irritating Hippo!

DameFanny Sun 03-Feb-13 20:59:47

If you're resetting your lock screen, make it a cute baby pic with the ICE info over the top - baby pic makes it more likely your phone will be returned if lost, according to Richard Wiseman smile

MrsMeeple Sun 03-Feb-13 20:54:59

Hmm. ICE on the lock screen is a really good idea... Have it in address book but realised when I did it, it would be useless. One more great thing to have learnt from Mumsnet!

PimpMyHippo Sun 03-Feb-13 20:43:14

Someone on my friends list who is much older than me copy/pasted a load of bullshit statistics about how immigrants get more money in benefits than pensioners who fought in the war or some such rubbish... when I commented that it wasn't true, her reply was something to do with how young and naive I am for not understanding how these things really work. hmm There was even a passive-agressive smiley! angry Patronising cow.

Yeah, my friend was quite defensive, I don't think she realised at all that she'd been had! What got me though was that her Dad was very high up in the Met Police not long ago, you'd think she would have known better!

Catsu Sun 03-Feb-13 20:30:53

Put your emergence contact no on your screen saver, not your pin no! :-D

garlicblocks Sun 03-Feb-13 20:29:54

So people know who to ring! They don't need to use your phone to make that call, they've got their own ...

Dame if you do that then what's the point of having the lock on your phone?

oldraver Sun 03-Feb-13 20:15:42

I saw the 112 one on someones FB who I thought was a fairly intelligent woman oh dont you know her DH is a Wing Commander. With a 'Please take note girls' type of message. I mean it sounds iffy so why on earth wouldn't you Google it

DameFanny Sun 03-Feb-13 18:22:05

ICE is a real one - Norfolk fire service first suggested it. If you have a pin on your phone, put the number on the lock screen please - a colleague didn't and it took 2 days before his family and friends could be told he was dead.

VodkaJelly Sun 03-Feb-13 10:38:15

My facebook seems to be getting clogged up with putting ICE on your mobile phone incase you are in an accident, I thought most phones had a lock on now so how would the emergency services get into your phone book if they dont have your pin?

And the bloody horse one, some tool sent that round a work to a few hundred people, cue lots of responses "Oh no hun thats terrible" and "I hope the horses get rehomed" till one brave person replied "For the Love of God, its a HOAX"

Confused I'd forgotten about the 112 one, I saw that this week too. Had a frustrating time arguing with a friend's friend that if there is no network coverage you can't call 999 or 112...

Snopes and HoaxSlayer are excellent resources and I love them. grin

Bunbaker Sun 03-Feb-13 09:18:52

I never pass on chain emails and fortunately don't get many. OH believes that some chain emails are simply a method of harvesting email addresses from your address book.

I had never heard of Snopes or Hoax Slayer but I will use them next time I get an unwanted email.

Kveta Sun 03-Feb-13 09:05:46

I have a few friends who keep posting this sort of shite. strangely it's always either friends who have settled here from overseas (and married brits/got jobs over here), or who claim benefits (neither of which bother me in the slightest) posting about benefit claiming 'scum' or 'forriners coming over here stealing our jobs'. morons.

Cheery- it doesn't even look real does it? I felt like saying 'really though? Do you honestly think that is real? you idiot'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now