to think that you should always check first

(55 Posts)

....before reposting, sharing or retweeting chainmail type guff? Especially when it has a political slant to it. It only takes a moment to check a story on Snopes or Hoax Slayer. It would stop you looking like an idiot and would save my blood pressure!

This week alone I've seen people forwarding stories about Muslim communities in the UK being allowed to mete out justice according to Sharia law instead of British law; one about Facebook's privacy settings; one saying that Julia Gillard has told Muslim immigrants to adapt to Australian life or leave; and one claiming that drinking too many diet fizzy drinks will give you MS. hmm

I feel a friend cull coming on but in the meantime AIBU?

TeamEdward Sat 02-Feb-13 18:24:01

I've had the "strawberry meth sold to kiddies" one. I just send them a link to Snopes.

DameFanny Sat 02-Feb-13 18:25:50

I started replying to MIL with the appropriate link to Snopes and a 'don't worry' and she hasn't mailed me in years. Result!!

I tend to respond with the appropriate Snopes/Hoax Slayer link but a few days later they post something equally daft!

I realise that I am naturally a cynical bugger who doesn't trust anything on the internet but are people really so gullible?

YANBU Joyful. A few times recently, I've seen that one about reversing your PIN number if you're being mugged at the cash point and the police will come.

What if your PIN number is a palindrome? wink

MammaTJ Sat 02-Feb-13 18:38:10

YANBU! I send the snopes link too, but you can't educate pork!

FeckOffCup Sat 02-Feb-13 18:52:50

I got the diet fizzy drink and MS one too, a friend of mine on facebook shares all this kind of crap but I like her and enjoy seeing her updates about her family and photos of her DCs so don't want to hide her altogether. It does make me hmm that someone I know is intelligent buys into the scaremongering shite though.

undercoverhousewife Sat 02-Feb-13 18:54:44

YANBU I usually "reply to all" with the Snopes link.

I have deleted friends for this! Most recent one I saw was an old school friend reposting this:

I know you don’t all live in Dorset but a mobile is a mobile where ever you live. I didn't know about 112 did you?

A bit of useful advice - verified by the Dorset Police. The number does work from a mobile.
This actually happened to someone's daughter. Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college.
This story takes place over the Christmas and New Year holiday break.

It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc.
Remembering her parents' advice, Lauren telephoned 112 from her mobile phone. This connected her to the police dispatcher. She told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked car with a flashing blue light behind her and that she would not pull over then but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.
The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't. He told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.
Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.
They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e. Put on your hazard lights, or call 112, as Lauren did.
What a pity that the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information.

So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal).
This is good information that I did not know!

Please pass on to all your friends, especially any females.

As far as I am aware, 112 uses a system called triangulation so they can also pinpoint exactly where you are phoning from.

READ IT THEN PASS IT ON DON'T JUST DELETE - IMPORTANT

I explained that 112 and 999 work in the exact same way & that it as on snopes and she replied that she posted about not stopping for an unmarked vehicle hmm Love the girl but she's gullible as anything and very naive!

you cant argue with stupid!

I add the snopes link and hope that they get the message.

solveproblem Sat 02-Feb-13 20:35:03

So the story about the Australian pm wasn't true? I've seen it so many times on Facebook this week I thought it was true....

Yanbu.

We've had one doing the round recently about people being able to steal the remote lock code to your car out of the air!! Apparently, you shouldn't use the remote locking system on your car if there's anyone sat nearby as they have a device that means they can get in and out of your car without you realising it. If anything is stolen, the insurance company won't pay up as it doesn't look like you were broken into.

Our local newspaper picked it up & printed it as an actual story, I wrote them a letter with the Snopes link and said 'check your facts'. They never did publish it.

Sneezingwakesthebaby Sat 02-Feb-13 21:20:37

We get the ones with the list of imaginary benefits that illegal immigrants get. It's always a nice surprise to see another friend

Sneezingwakesthebaby Sat 02-Feb-13 21:21:14

AHEM... another friend outed as being as thick as pig plop.

I've just seen a picture of a supposed DWP booklet for 'coming from abroad and claiming benefits'

Aarrghh!

I think I got deleted today.

Someone posted one of those "come to Britain and get loads of benefits for nothing" poster meme things with a "Oh so true" comment on it. I replied "Not remotely true."

I stopped short of adding ", dickhead."

But I still think I've been deleted.

Lots of people still haven't heard of Snopes. I am still getting those "forward this and Microsoft will give $1 for cancer research" style emails.

Yep.

My idiot cousin posted one of the older stories that's been discredited on snopes and got all self-righteous when I pointed out it was a hoax.

Idiot.

In future, send them this

NumericalMum Sat 02-Feb-13 21:50:55

Argh. How can I stop my fil from sending similar via email? As well as blatantly racist shite that he thinks is hilarious?

MrsMushroom Sat 02-Feb-13 21:52:48

Yanbu but I could believe that about Julia Gillard. She's a wimpy liar imo.

RuleBritannia Sat 02-Feb-13 21:54:28

I get lots of these e-mails from a particular friend.

What is Snopes, please? I tried the link in tillyfernackerpants's post and, frankly, it told me nothing.

Is it for e-mails or Facebook posts? If it's for either how does one use it, please? I've never heard of it before.

ChristianGreyIsAJackass Sat 02-Feb-13 21:58:37

I cant do with the 'like this photo and see what happens in five seconds... This is freaky'

Right... So by liking the picture, something will happen to it, have you any basic IT knowledge... At all?

This evening the was a picture like that that DH's cousin had commented on so it came up in my newsfeed, 'comment '1' and see what happens' there were 1.5 million comments on that picture!

I refuse to believe there are that many stupid people...

RuleBritannia - it's a site that collects internet hoaxes, originally as e-mails but now also Facebook etc.

Honestly though if you get one of these "PLEASE PASS THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION" e-mails, copy the text in its entirety into a Google search box. If it's a hoax, the first hit will be Snopes.

Shenanagins Sat 02-Feb-13 23:16:01

I had a fb argument this week over the muslim immigrant Australia one this week pointing out it was rascist and a hoax. It gave me great satisfaction in calling them up on the ludicrous claims and making them look stupid. Maybe just maybe it educated them but i doubt it.

RandallPinkFloyd Sat 02-Feb-13 23:23:42

My BIL has suddenly discovered a fondness for this kind of crap. I patiently replied with snopes links to the warnings about baby car seats on hard shoulders and bags stolen from public toilets but when that stupid 112/unmarked police cars bollocks appeared I may have accidentally called him a daft twat. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now