sick of this country, what countries provide a better life for people that live there

(309 Posts)
redbobblehat Sat 02-Feb-13 13:55:21

i'm sick of all these cuts backs, and lies from the goverment

so sick of it i'm actually thinking for the first time, i might perher to bugger off and live elsewhere

dh thinks dubai would be a good bet, but i think as a married woman, it's wouldnt be my first choice

so where would be a good bet

mrsbunnylove Sat 02-Feb-13 15:15:05

provide? provide?
find somewhere, something-for-nothing-lover, and move.

WhatsTheBuzz Sat 02-Feb-13 15:16:14

we've actually got it pretty good on the whole. Compared to some.

Euphemia Sat 02-Feb-13 15:16:21

no language issues unless you move to Glasgow or dundee

I've lived in both and they're fab. Dundee would win hands down, if they moved the Glasgow shops there. smile

theodorakisses Sat 02-Feb-13 15:16:49

I have only ever been to Singapore on holiday. Unutterably tedious and not my cup of tea, left early. I am hiding this now, too weird.

WhatsTheBuzz Sat 02-Feb-13 15:17:41

as far as the weather goes, we're lucky enough to have four seasons. Few tornadoes or hurricanes, severe droughts, constant snow, etc.

Euphemia Sat 02-Feb-13 15:17:51

I'm not a tub-thumping fan of Scottish independence, unlike my DF and DB, but oh my goodness what a fab thought - bye-bye Tory government. For all time. Sweet as a nut.

I don't think there are many countries that are "better" than the Uk. I am not English, btw, so I am not biased.

Probably New Zealand. Denmark is another good place, but the weather is even worse than the Uk.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-Feb-13 15:18:43

Oh they are both fab, I am a weegie myself now, but when I first came here I needed a translator, and I needed to listen very very carefully when working with some young people from Dundee grin

Booyhoo Sat 02-Feb-13 15:20:36

oh yes it was you then theo.

yes tyaca- that's the thread.

I am a city person. And there is nowhere like London. So England it has to be for me, therefore, since it is the only place that has London!

PandaOnAPushBike Sat 02-Feb-13 15:21:40

Come to Sweden. Quality of life here is so much better than in England. Except for the eyeball freezing cold.

Mosman Sat 02-Feb-13 15:22:49

What's your definition of quality of life Panda ?

I agree Dudes, London is great. I must say I also wouldn't mind living in Nyc.

lljkk Sat 02-Feb-13 15:23:00

I vote Scandinavia. But keep in mind you have to deal with very progressive opinions about most social issues. Stuff that would have the Daily Mail screaming. Except where the minority race & Saami are concerned, their own traveller community still gets treated pretty rubbish.

Japan is a very conformist yet materialistic society. Mildly crap for women, too.

Ashoething Sat 02-Feb-13 15:24:55

i have 2 friends who moved to oz last year who are loving it.i think it would be too hot for me though.dh had the chance yo emigrate there years ago and bottled it at the last minute.loving the fact that a poster has been caught out on bullshit lol.

ihatethecold Sat 02-Feb-13 15:25:05

ive heard that canada has a good standard of living. prob not the warmest place to live though.
great scenery though!

Gauri Sat 02-Feb-13 15:26:10

I am living in Malaysia right now and think this is as perfect as it gets... In terms of quality of live. Safety is an issue though. Which brings a 8/10 down to 7/10.

Gauri Sat 02-Feb-13 15:26:10

I am living in Malaysia right now and think this is as perfect as it gets... In terms of quality of live. Safety is an issue though. Which brings a 8/10 down to 7/10.

BubaMarra Sat 02-Feb-13 15:28:43

As your DH is in finance, I would recommend Dubai. And I am not saying it just like that - I had had the same idea few years ago. Also, have friends who left their London finance careers to continue life in places like Dubai, Qatar (the next big Middle East business centre), even Bahrain. Of all these places, my first pick would be Dubai. Yes, local culture is very different to western, but the environment is very international as well. Just to say that those friends had been horrified by my idea to move to Dubai, but few years down the line they accepted ME job offers with no second thoughts. They said they had been ignorant when trashing other countries without actually knowing anything about them.

GothAnneGeddes Sat 02-Feb-13 15:30:42

YABU.

There are so many marvellous things about the UK and from the UK, I refuse to let the Tory bastards ruin all. They are not the UK, we are.

GrowSomeCress Sat 02-Feb-13 15:33:14

Let's bear in mind that the OP wants a good life "provided" for her. That means all countries without extensive welfare are out grin

Yep. I expect there are loads of 'em. Providing the people that live there are nicely loaded.

I live in Canada. Nice country. The thing that repeatedly pisses me off is that they only look to the South to compare. So, we have great healthcare compared to the US (so does anywhere Western) we have social welfare (nope, just next to the US), stable economy (ditto). They need to stop basing what they do politically and socially on being slightly better than the States.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sat 02-Feb-13 15:39:30

theodorakisses

Wow you're so angry!

hiddenhome Sat 02-Feb-13 15:40:03

What, like the Russian Federation, Bangladesh or Columbia? confused I'm not a huge fan if the UK, but I think most other places are either as bad, worse or unfeasibly expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now