sick of this country, what countries provide a better life for people that live there

(309 Posts)
redbobblehat Sat 02-Feb-13 13:55:21

i'm sick of all these cuts backs, and lies from the goverment

so sick of it i'm actually thinking for the first time, i might perher to bugger off and live elsewhere

dh thinks dubai would be a good bet, but i think as a married woman, it's wouldnt be my first choice

so where would be a good bet

Mosman Mon 04-Feb-13 03:08:43

It is possible to have a very good life in Dubai, although life is getting worse and less comfortable than it was.

I think that's everywhere ow though, there's less resources, less money and those who can control what gets filtered down to the masses will. Call it greed, protecting your own whatever.

BadLad Mon 04-Feb-13 03:21:44

That's true. It's just that the change is so drastic in Dubai. My parents moved there in the 70s, and the rate of change there is staggering. It was nice until about the early 90s, then immense greed took over.

And my last post looks as if I am criticising the posters who talked about Sweden and Japan. I wasn't - I just chuckled at the juxtaposition of those two posts.

trustissues75 Mon 04-Feb-13 04:08:31

All politicians lie. Everywhere. I still thing that we're incredibly lucky in this country.

Also, if you decide to emigrate and you have kiddos make sure you feel your marriage is rock solid...returning home with the kids is not half as easy as people think from a legal standpoint.

My dad spends a lot of time in Singapore with work he is raves on about it . Apparently he would love to live there - what about that OP?

I always fancy moving abroad not because i have a problem with this country - i just would like to try out somewhere else as well. but I'm not sure what country would have us!

Dh is a developer/ programmer so A country where computery people are needed plus a country that likes children I feel like 5 children may put countries off letting us in. I'm not bothered about weather I'm not a particular sun lover. We run our own business which employs 3 people most of our clients are abroad anyway so our client base would move its us as its totally online. - are little businesses in demand anywhere - probably not!

Who can suggest my perfect country?!

Morloth Mon 04-Feb-13 06:26:02

I think it would be a better bet to try and make your home country a better place to live, rather than run away.

As cory says, the people who are trying to get away from problems usually just take them with them.

By all means travel and explore (we have, almost 15 years as expats in various places), but the grass is not any greener.

All countries have their pros and cons, because all people have their pros and cons.

ben5 Mon 04-Feb-13 06:33:41

Perth Australia is a great place to live although its a chilly sunny and 30* c today but the kids have gone back to school today so who care about the weather !!!!

CheerfulYank Mon 04-Feb-13 06:54:52

The US of course :D

CheerfulYank Mon 04-Feb-13 06:55:08

Damn! grin

Morloth Mon 04-Feb-13 07:05:26

No no, Australia is a barren wasteland, full of spiders and snakes and racists...

Very dangerous.

Also 23 million is enough, thank you very much, I like lots of space.

While it's true every place has its pros and cons, I don't agree that this is a reason not to move anywhere else. We all have different priorities and preferences so surely some pros and cons are more bearable than others?

For example, we rent, and probably will do for a long time. So we are much happier living in a country with strong tenants rights, we have a lot more security and a better standard of living for the money we pay.

This goes as well to the point about not expecting the state to provide and improving your own life. I think there are limits to this. It's not about the state providing in terms of benefits, but the laws and policies they make can have a huge impact on you. Tenants rights is a good example of this too. Also things like the cost of childcare, which is regulated by the state -- we have a lot more disposable income because of this.

Basically I don't think it's wrong or naive for the OP to think they might have a better life somewhere else. It's entirely possible, depending on what her priorities are.

specialsubject Mon 04-Feb-13 09:39:19

I await news on the OPs perfect country with interest -because I think this thread has proved that it doesn't exist. There are some serious shitholes though.

What does get right up my nose is those who complain about the UK's 'sedentary indoor lifestyle'. It is only so for those too idle and too precious to go outside. Take a coat if it looks like rain, open the front door and pass through it.

LurkingBeagle Mon 04-Feb-13 09:58:18

Reading this thread with interest....I recently joined the ex-pat crowd in the Middle East. I left the UK because of tax. More specifically, I felt pretty aggrieved over the treatment of an elderly relative by the NHS (appalling) and the fact that I could not get cancer treatment or proper follow-up when I desparately needed it. I decided at that point that I would no longer keep my end of the "deal" either! I had been a HR taxpayer for 15 years. I still pay NI in the UK but my earnings here are tax-free (and the local population still get free schools and hospitals).
Ironically (and I appreciate that this is not a view shared by the majority of MN'ers) replacing the NHS with something better (like the French or Swiss system) is probably the only thing that might persuade me to come back.
My advice to the OP is to go (!) but look carefully into where your skills are needed because many countries have fairly exacting requirements. Even the most optimistic commentators seem to think the future is in the east, not the west, so it made sense to me to get out while the going was still (relatively) good.

Emsmaman Mon 04-Feb-13 10:14:30

Not true that you don't get taught about Aboriginal history - well I don't recall being taught in primary but definitely in secondary. We learnt about the stolen generation, and amongst other things were shown a "dramatisation" of aboriginals being buried up to their neck by the british and having their heads lopped off "polo style" by brits on horseback.

Pedallleur Mon 04-Feb-13 10:36:09

Depends what you want. Monaco has no tax, lots of surveillance and is great if you are rich. Norway and Iceland are rated as two of the best countries for quality of life (worth reading on Wiki) but not if you don't like cold and long winters. Switzerland is nice, low taxes etc but it might not suit you. A friend of mine lives in Spain and loves it but he speaks the language and accepts the flaws.

Paiviaso Mon 04-Feb-13 10:41:18

On my Facebook, full of friends from Canada and the US (where I've previously lived), are occasional posts about corruption and lying politicians. Funny, none of these politicians are British!

I now live in the UK, and never want to leave. I love it here. All in the eye of the beholder I suppose!

I think you should only move to a new country because you are really interested in that country's culture and lifestyle. Moving to a new country is hard. You will be a foreigner, you will be homesick. And your new country will not be perfect. They will do things differently, and you will not think these are all changes for the better. I think moving to a new country solely with the expectation that it will somehow be better than your previous first world western European home is setting yourself up for failure.

LurkingBeagle Mon 04-Feb-13 10:52:33

Don't agree Paiviaso - I have never once been homesick since moving abroad. My only regret is not doing it when I was 10 years' younger! grin I also feel very welcome and not at all "foreign" - maybe because there are so many ex-pats here.
The most striking thing about the UK when I visit as a non-resident is the amount of dog sh*t everywhere, the crime, the hellish overcrowding, more badly-behaved children and the ridiculous cost of everything!

CoteDAzur Mon 04-Feb-13 10:55:06

Monaco is great even if you are not rich. No need to be rich to enjoy its perfect weather by the Mediterranean, its safety, high-standard & free education, no traffic and no pollution. Not paying up a major chunk of your income to the state is really nice, too. No tax when selling your car, either.

And if the bread-earner is employed with a salary, family gets several hundred Euros per month *per child* from the state, plus cash before holiday periods.

The only inconvenience really is high rents, which means most people live in smallish apartments. Sort of like in Central London or in Manhattan, I suppose.

AmberSocks Mon 04-Feb-13 11:10:40

MrsMushroom-i forgot about that wierd fish!haha

I wouldnt mind rotten teeth.Maybe we could live there but have a boat to get to somewhere with dentists and seeds? :-)

AmberSocks Mon 04-Feb-13 11:12:06

can i justsay,just becausekids arent taught about something in school doesnt mean you can tell them about it yourself,education shouldnt stop with the school imo.I know loads of people who live in australia now and they love it and are very impressed with the schools.

Paiviaso Mon 04-Feb-13 11:12:59

LurkingBeagle surely your experience is unusual. I think it's a bit irresponsible to disagree and tell the OP she wont feel homesick, because I really don't think that is the norm.

oldebaglady Mon 04-Feb-13 11:18:41

I never felt homesick for my home country either, I'm not really a "homebody" I know lots of people like me, IMO the homesick type of people stick together in homesick groups of ex pats which makes their experience less rich, and the homesick cycle continues.

If you're a positive type of person you can make the most of wherever you are (within reason obv) But that includes where you moved from too!

LurkingBeagle Mon 04-Feb-13 11:22:12

Paivaiso - where do I tell the OP that she won't be homesick?? confused I simply said I wasn't. Not even remotely. Ever.

I agree with oldebaglady - emigration (like life) is what you make it! And there are plenty of reasons to leave Blighty at the moment (and diminishing returns for those sticking it out).

Paiviaso Mon 04-Feb-13 11:28:06

LurkingBeagle I had been talking about some of the less fun aspects of moving to another country and you replied, "Don't agree Paiviaso..."

confused

LurkingBeagle Mon 04-Feb-13 11:34:23

Oh FGS...

You said to the OP "you will be homesick"

I said "I don't agree" because I am not, and have never been, homesick. In fact, none of my close friends are either - we have discussed this very same issue.

Then you said I was irresponsible for telling the OP she won't feel homesick (but presumably it's okay to tell her that she will!)

Paiviaso Mon 04-Feb-13 11:36:41

I think it's more likely she will then she wont.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now