Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that having your parents over on mothers' day isn't abnormal?

(30 Posts)

DH thinks that a card is normal, but that having lunch together isn't normal. He is concerned that I might be setting a precedent of getting together for tiny events which will take up the rest of his life.

nagynolonger Sun 03-Feb-13 08:28:52

Sorry about the spelling again!

RubyGates Sun 03-Feb-13 08:35:09

Is he worried that you are excluding his Mum?
Perhaps he wanted to something special for her.

ithaka Sun 03-Feb-13 08:50:42

Me and my sister always take our mum out on mother's day - we enjoy it so it feels like a mothers day treat for me as well. The children will usually bake me a cake while we are out. My husband just sends his mum flowers, which suits both of them (she doesn't like seeing people).

WelshMaenad Sun 03-Feb-13 09:45:57

When does 'active mothering' stop, then?

My mum still actively mothers me, and I'm 32.

He definitely wasn't worried that I was excluding his mum as I suggested that we have both sets of parents over. My DM is exceedingly supportive of us and really deserves a big "thank you" and I don't think he sees it like that at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now