Think I've got proper flu and worried....

(69 Posts)
Worried345 Sat 02-Feb-13 11:41:27

In sole charge of my DCs with no help here and really worried. Been incredibly ill since 5am after a week long 'normal' virus and caring for DS1 who has been off sick from school with it all week.

Suddenly, this is a whole different calibre of virus. I can't move. I spent 3 hrs on toilet floor vomiting continually with delirium and high temperature and headache. Coughing up brown phlegm and really bad pain in chest cavity. Can't remember having anything as bad before ever. Normally just drag myself around and still able to look after DCs. Can't stop my heart racing at way above its normal speed even though I'm just sitting in bed. Can't get cool even though I had Ibuprofen at 9.30am.

AIBU to think I have proper influenza today and not just a normal virus? AIBU to be worried that there's only me here looking after DCs - aged 10 and 11 and can't actually look after them at all? DC1 still really weak from his virus all week and not eating and I'd been supporting him to drink fluids but I literally can't move right now and am soaked in sweat and feel really weird.

DC2 has the cough only so far but he has SN - mildly - and is finding it difficult that we're not doing normal routine today and is gettign cross that mum can't talk properly or get up.

AIBU to be so worried that I'm THIS ill and the DCs and I have no one at all to come in and help? Is it just that I'm feverish and so unwell that I'm panicking?

Anyone who can offer reassurance and tell me to stop being a weakling, pull myself together and get on with it - or are my symptoms going to get worse and I should be trying to get some help in for all of us? But there's no one I know of who would be willing to come into a house full of sick people.

Abra1d Sun 03-Feb-13 08:50:22

'Agree you sound ill. But surely a 10 and 11 year old (even if slightly poorly) don't need much looking after? I was at home with flu this week with DS 1.10 who had flu and 3mo dd and we managed'

I doubt you had flu; probably another virus! You would not be looking after two babies if you had temperatures of up to 104 or 105, plus rigors, plus severely aching limbs, headache, etc.

stickyj Sun 03-Feb-13 09:05:52

Hi, don't out yourself but if you're near West Mids, I can help a bit. Hope you feel better soon x

Buzzardbird Sun 03-Feb-13 09:06:43

So the gp is wrong then?

DoingTheBestICan Sun 03-Feb-13 09:18:25

If you're in north Wales I can wash your dcs school uniform for you,we both had the flu over Christmas and it was awful,my dh went on to have blood clots on his lungs and was hospitalised with it before being diagnosed with pneumonia.

You need plenty of rest and don't forget to drink lots of water.

Montybojangles Sun 03-Feb-13 09:20:53

Glad your on the right treatment, hope it kicks in soon. As sticky says if you are happy to tell us your rough location maybe one of us can come with some supplies and show your DCs how to use the washing machine. Get well soon.

thornrose Sun 03-Feb-13 09:25:43

Worried - I just want to say I totally understand your ds reaction. I have a dd 13 with AS, when I am ill she just cannot cope (I'm a lone parent).
She is used to me being at her beck and call and is actually really horrible to me when I am ill. I've realised it can be a bit of fear and anxiety too. It's a bit scary seeing your parent ill and can make children insecure.
Also dd responds to another family member ringing and having a chat and asking her to " look after your mum" type of stuff, it works better coming from someone else.

maddening Sun 03-Feb-13 09:29:58

Can you call an emergency childcare service? You can get emergency nannys who might help with some light domestic work too.

I love how people think they know better than a gp.

Did you know that around 20% of people are thought to have contracted h1n1 (the swine flu variant) during the first year of the pandemic in the UK. Flu can massively vary intensity depending on the variety and the person. The 'it can't be flu if you can lift your head' is a fallacy.

And why the ridiculous troll hunting?

Hope you feel better op.

Buzzardbird Sun 03-Feb-13 09:39:16

Exactly badkitten

McNewPants2013 Sun 03-Feb-13 09:41:50

Get well soon op.

Don't worry to much about the housework, you will catch up.

Except abra1d was referencing another poster who may or may not have had flu and wasn't actually questioning the ops diagnosis. Sorry abra1d blush.

However I still stand by my comments about flu.

ll31 Sun 03-Feb-13 09:51:44

Think once you're better, you should consider teaching kids how to do more to look after themselves also. hope your feeling lot better today

BeaWheesht Sun 03-Feb-13 09:52:23

Oh I am so sick of hearing the 'if you had flu you wouldn't be able to do x'.

We had confirmed swine flu a few years ago - we had to keep going because we had a newborn and a 3 year old .

Mia4 Sun 03-Feb-13 10:12:35

Whether you've had flu or not, the brown gunk and chest pain sounds like an secondary infection which you'll need antibiotics to shift. But the good thing s if it is an infection rather then a virus then antibiotics will help and you hopefully feel some measure of relief within a few days.

Try not to panic, speak to the doctors- your sons may need antibiotics too if they have an infection too. Do you have anyone near to you that you can call to help? A friend? Their father? Family?

Also dose yourself up on vitamin C and zinc, manuka or local honey and echinachae. Hope you feel better soon.

ike1 Sun 03-Feb-13 11:21:02

Poor you op. That is really crap love. I was in your situ myself 2 years ago. I felt so ill i couldnt actually get to the docs and it took weeks to get better. I had some unsympathetic responses later and it made me feel very depressed. Get a fucking life you twats trying to troll hunt... the OP is ill ffs have some empathy!

ike1 Sun 03-Feb-13 11:24:03

Fortunately my kids could go to their dads...but he literally did not give a shit if I was alive or dead. I didnt see anyone for days....I understood totally how someone could pass away and not be found....and I live in a lose knit community...keep posting OP. There are plenty of us here who do understand.

Dawndonna Sun 03-Feb-13 11:24:10

Hope you start feeling better soon.

mercibucket Sun 03-Feb-13 11:36:39

get well soon op

do you have any phone numbers for people who could do the school run for you?

take it easy

also find the flu deniers annoying. i had flu, pneumonia and pleurisy and still managed to move my fingers. couldn't speak as not enough oxygen, but fingers still worked. bummer as 999 doesn't work by text message (or does it?)

Abra1d Sun 03-Feb-13 11:39:37

Just to be clear, I was not referring to the OP! She does sound very ill indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now