To be cynical about David Beckham's latest antics

(162 Posts)
Perriwinkle Fri 01-Feb-13 21:23:19

Yes, we've heard how absolutely marvellous it is that he's going to be donating the wags he'll earn during his 5 month stint at Paris St Germain to a French children's charity (and don't get me wrong I'm sure it is for the charity) but I really don't swallow this whole altruistic Francis of Assisi line.

I've heard people referring to him as "a real class act" but if he really was a "class act" would he not have done this privately, without the fanfare and circus of a full blown press conference in front of the world's media - which, incidentially, most normal footallers, irrespective of how good they are, never have when they sign for new other clubs. Most seem content to manage with a quick photo opportunity holding up the new club's shirt. hmm

Does this deeply altruistic act have anything to do I wonder, with the fact that his wife has a burgeoning career as a fashion designer and would love to be lauded in Paris and taken into the hearts of the French?

Does it have anything to do with furthering the "Beckham brand"?

Does it have anything to do with wanting a knighthood?

Does it have anything to do with boosting an already planet-sized ego?

Does it have anything to do with Beckham's relentless worldwide charm offensive and the seeming obsessive desire to be adored?

I'd say a resounding yes to all of the above.

Realistically there is a huge personal and financial benefit to be derived by David Beckham from making what is, in reality, the equivalent in relative monetary terms of about a £20 charity donation to your average person.

He used to just sound thick too but yesterday I noticed that an annoying smugness appears to have crept into his voice shock

JakeBullet Sat 02-Feb-13 17:48:20

...but periwinkle....he has also been doing charitable stuff very quietly for years.

serin Sat 02-Feb-13 17:48:42

No great fan of the Beckhams but have met them a few times (and they were always very polite).

They have been quietly and generously donating to Childrens charities for years so why they had to do this so publicly and risk ridicule I don't know.

wannaBe Sat 02-Feb-13 18:10:28

all the bitter "it's nothing to them they have billionns anyway" posts are nothing short of reverse snobbery.

Ultimately these people can't win. If they stand up on comic relief and urge people to give to charity they are slated for not giving their own £££ instead. if they give of their own £££ to charity they are criticised for doing it publically. If they do charitable work quietly they are criticised for not giving to charity because no-one knows what they are giving to charity. How much do the critics give to charity? not much I'd like to bet.

It's nothing short of jealousy.

lashingsofbingeinghere Sat 02-Feb-13 18:26:34

YABU I like the Beckhams and don't understand the vitriol directed at them.

He's shrewd to cash in on Brand Beckham - let's face it, he's not going to find a second career as a sports commentator or take up a Professorship in sports psychology. Not sure if he's manager material either. He's fit, pleasant to look at, modest about his talents (heard him this week on R4 saying he was never a fast runner so being slower at 37 is no big deal!) and seems like his heart's in the right place. Yeah he's rich, but he makes his money fairly - he's a product and no one has to buy him if they don't like him (or Victoria's clothes for that matter.)

countrykitten Sat 02-Feb-13 18:51:08

What a very churlish OP. He does not need the money so he is donating it - what on earth is your (and other people's) problem with this FGS? How mean spirited of you.

countrykitten Sat 02-Feb-13 18:52:24

Thinking that it's something to do with envy....

GirlOutNumbered Sat 02-Feb-13 18:55:44

YABU. a charity is getting money, so what for his motives.

TheCarefulLaundress Sat 02-Feb-13 20:27:33

The 75% tax rate in France - would David Beckham have to pay that if he's a UK resident? Won't he pay tax in UK?

Genuine question.

I've been watching this thread since I posted, OP you need to get a life.

kennyp Sat 02-Feb-13 22:47:01

It annoys me that he cant give some of the bloody to an english charity. Yes i know its in france but still.

All so carefully managed,

I remember when him and her and emma spice went to gordon ramsays house for dinner and posh drove home and the daily mail said "tellingly, posh drove home" and a week later she says she preg with harper. The whole beckham thing irritates me and what really annoys me is that gordon ramsays big fat posh house has a north east facing garden which is neither here nor there but with his money wouldnt he want south facing but i am on detox from diet coke and in a bad mood

kennyp Sat 02-Feb-13 22:49:08

My point was that why were paps at ramsays house who lives in wandsworth and not exactly pap central. All orchestrated. Pfffff

PuffPants Sat 02-Feb-13 23:10:30

Given the Beckhams are strangers to most of us, I never understand all the "what a great family" and "raising their boys so beautifully" comments - how do people know this? Are they a great family because they're good-looking in photos?

I sometimes feel I'm the only person left in the country who remembers his affair with Rebecca Loos (who they never sued or disproved in any way). How come if you're really good-looking and talented you can have an affair and still be referred to as "a family man"?

I find VB ludicrous. What woman out of her teens would give serious thought to "my new way of holding my handbag" or "my new way of wearing my coat". I bet she practices new walks in the mirror too...

Anyway, yes, money good for charity but giving it away infinitely more valuable to the brand than keeping it.

Exactly Puff. Except the 'good looking in photos' bit possibly.

gimmecakeandcandy Sat 02-Feb-13 23:18:08

Oh him and pushy posh are desperate for that knighthood aren't they!

Doesn't she in particular (although cant stand him either) realise that they'll always be little tits however much they get or titles they get!?!

Urghh

Yanbu!

Southeastdweller Sat 02-Feb-13 23:22:43

puffpants I think the fact that the Beckham came out of that alleged affair business unscathed speaks volumes about how hugely powerful his P.R team was then, still is.

prudencesmom Sat 02-Feb-13 23:25:11

I have to say I totally agree with your musings OP, and dont find you to be jealous of the Beckos.
I just wish The News Of The Scews was still on the go, so I could read about all the affairs hes gonna have with the Paris chicks!

prudencesmom Sat 02-Feb-13 23:25:59

NEWS OF THE SCREWS

oh fgs what is your problem? he can do what he blooming well wants. get over it.

oh fgs what is your problem? he can do what he blooming well wants. get over it.

prudencesmom Sun 03-Feb-13 00:15:04

Is that you Vicky?

ouryve Sun 03-Feb-13 00:16:24

I'm pretty sure there's some tax avoidance in his magnaminitnity (made up word, too late to get it right) somewhere.

BumBiscuits Sun 03-Feb-13 01:06:12

Thing is, the tax avoidance aspect isn't relevant.

Say he earns a million quid and 75% of that is taxed. He gets £250k.

If he donates the whole lot to charidee he gets fuck all.

Usually people who avoid paying tax (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Carr) will get £960k of their million.

Mimishimi Sun 03-Feb-13 03:58:17

There's an excellent chance he would get taxed 75% on that income anyway. Doubtless donating to charity will reduce that so ye's probably thinking that if he has to giv that money away, he would rather give it to something he thinks is worthwhile than to line the pockets of slimy untrustworthy French bureaucrats...

wannaBe Sun 03-Feb-13 07:13:56

I think the fact he came out of the affair unscathed (so to speak) has to do with the fact that his wife, you know, the actual "victim" of said affair, chose to forgive him and to move on with their relationship. Her's is IMO the only opinion that counts really isn't it?

hackmum Sun 03-Feb-13 08:37:09

Perriwinkle: "Would have showed so much more class if he'd made it a condition in his contract not to make it public."

Of course. And then people would say, "It's disgusting - David Beckham earns all that money and he doesn't give a penny of it to charity."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now