To be cynical about David Beckham's latest antics

(162 Posts)
Perriwinkle Fri 01-Feb-13 21:23:19

Yes, we've heard how absolutely marvellous it is that he's going to be donating the wags he'll earn during his 5 month stint at Paris St Germain to a French children's charity (and don't get me wrong I'm sure it is for the charity) but I really don't swallow this whole altruistic Francis of Assisi line.

I've heard people referring to him as "a real class act" but if he really was a "class act" would he not have done this privately, without the fanfare and circus of a full blown press conference in front of the world's media - which, incidentially, most normal footallers, irrespective of how good they are, never have when they sign for new other clubs. Most seem content to manage with a quick photo opportunity holding up the new club's shirt. hmm

Does this deeply altruistic act have anything to do I wonder, with the fact that his wife has a burgeoning career as a fashion designer and would love to be lauded in Paris and taken into the hearts of the French?

Does it have anything to do with furthering the "Beckham brand"?

Does it have anything to do with wanting a knighthood?

Does it have anything to do with boosting an already planet-sized ego?

Does it have anything to do with Beckham's relentless worldwide charm offensive and the seeming obsessive desire to be adored?

I'd say a resounding yes to all of the above.

Realistically there is a huge personal and financial benefit to be derived by David Beckham from making what is, in reality, the equivalent in relative monetary terms of about a £20 charity donation to your average person.

He used to just sound thick too but yesterday I noticed that an annoying smugness appears to have crept into his voice shock

AnuvvaMuvva Fri 01-Feb-13 23:48:06

Ugh. Now donating money to charities isn't good enough? It has to be done in secret, in random countries your wife hates, with no publicity got the charity at all ever shhhh quiet, and only if you sign a waiver saying you expressly never want a knighthood?

Jesus. In the time you're wasting sitting here judging someone else's good deed for not being good enough, you could've contributed something to the world.

LessMissAbs Fri 01-Feb-13 23:51:12

I see where you are coming from OP but you get far worse arse-lickers in the average office, who would sell their own mothers for career progression and getting one over on their colleagues. And generally they're uglier and nastier. DB doesn't come across as too arrogant, considering he has a reasonable amount going for him. And I respect him as a sportsman, I think he genuinely does love his sport although sometimes the fame has got in his way. It isn't easy to recover from a serious achilles injury.

I'm not mad crazy about him but in terms of manhood and unreasonableness I would say he is more saint than sinner.

Southeastdweller Fri 01-Feb-13 23:52:37

I don't know what's worse - Sir David Beckham or Lady Victoria Beckham.

What a fucked up honours system we have. angry

Perriwinkle Fri 01-Feb-13 23:52:38

I suppose I could have AnuvvaMuvva but it's getting a bit late now and I'm off to bed soon grin

thebody Fri 01-Feb-13 23:53:12

Fuck off I like the beckhams. Victoria is a great girl( have this from someone who has worked with her) and he is lovely as well.

If you are jealous op then just say so.

cantspel Sat 02-Feb-13 00:02:34

I have never bought into the brand Beckham. I detest Man u football club and think Beckham himself is only a half way decent winger and a pretty lazy one at that. Better than some but no where near the best.

But i dont get why people cant just acknowledge he is doing something good and leave it there. His reasons are his own and at the end of the day a lot of children will benefit.

Drogba chooses to build a school and hospital with his money and i have never seen a thread questioning his motives. So why is beckham any different?

Perriwinkle Sat 02-Feb-13 00:04:37

I think it's a fucked up world in which it is naturally assumed that people are jealous of people who have more money than them.

Victoria Beckham is welcome to her life where she feels forced to maintain a constant 7 stone weight and to have to to put up with having a camera lens shoved in her face wherever she goes (although she's actively courted publicity for years to be fair). I wouldn't swap my life for one like that, even with all the trappings of having an obscene amount of money.

Money is not everything and although I live on what the Beckhams would probably consider to be loose change, it's ample for me to enjoy a happy, fulfilling (and anonymous) life, which is just how I like it.

forehead Sat 02-Feb-13 00:11:09

Exactly Periwinke... I actually pity Victoria. She is obviously a very insecure young lady.

ClippedPhoenix Sat 02-Feb-13 00:12:42

Surely it's their choice though really, it works for them or not. Yet again im not sure why you are getting so worked up about their lives? they do good along the way, which is great.

It goes on all the time in normal lives.

To be that worked up about the beckhams is a bit mad.

FreudiansSlipper Sat 02-Feb-13 00:18:18

Wayne Rooney, Mario Balotelli and Ronaldo Cristiano all give away lots of money for charity Mario has been giving a large part of his wages for some time

They are not so caught up in the being a celeb and after a knighthood or have a very good team working overtime for them

Perriwinkle Sat 02-Feb-13 00:46:11

ClippedPhoenix Surely the very nature of this place is that people come here to get worked up about all sorts of things that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things isn't it? I've never noticed that being irrational, unreasonable or a bit mad holds anyone back here. grin

eyestightshut Sat 02-Feb-13 01:04:28

Meh - can't really get too worked up about some bloke and his wife who I don't know, am never likely to meet, or be affected by their behaviour.
Can't work out why you get so worked up by him and his wife? Are you sure you're not a teensy bit jealous grin

ClippedPhoenix Sat 02-Feb-13 01:09:29

fair enough OP, but i do wonder why it should be such a topic? And surely Im allowed to say that it's a silly thing to worry about? Whatever they do they give squillions to charity which is a good thing whether hes having it off everywhere and shes stick thin?

LadyWidmerpool Sat 02-Feb-13 01:27:46

Charities LOVE press. For very good reasons.

drizzlecake Sat 02-Feb-13 07:29:51

The Beckhams were going to move to Paris at one point, I was a bit [shocked] as they were apparently loving the all-american life style. So I thought maybe they actually don't want their kids growing up american.

So maybe this is a trial move to see if Victoria's work is accepted there (unlikely with the snooty french couture world) or a chance to get the DCs a European education.

drizzlecake Sat 02-Feb-13 07:31:04

(just pondering as I live partly in the US and don't think I would have wanted my DCs to grow up American, not because it's bad, just v different outlook to UK imo)

BrianButterfield Sat 02-Feb-13 07:38:53

I'm not a massive Beckham fan, but apart from giving his wages to charity (which probably is to do with tax but it's still a decent thing to do) everything else is standard. He had interest from 11 clubs - signing a superannuated big-name player is common practice. He won't play much but serves as a spokesman, a figurehead, a way of making headlines and bringing spectators to the matches. It's been done plenty of times before and it's a mutually beneficial deal. A press conference is normal, as is doing the deal on the last day of the transfer window - have you never watched the transfer news on the last couple of days before? DH follows it and even I enjoy the drama (manufactured as it is there are still genuine surprises) even though I'm not that mad on football.

To me, he's better than the awful, brash young players that are out there. That's not to say he's my number one choice of male role model, but there are far worse people in football.

GrannyRatOnAScooter Sat 02-Feb-13 07:46:57

Interesting article here (DM link). I get the feeling the journalist doesn't care for DB either wink

Cherriesarelovely Sat 02-Feb-13 08:47:38

I hardly think Beckham "needs" attention! He is an uberfamous footballer who would have caused a stir/press coverage anyway. No doubt details of his exorbitant salary would have been splashed across the press so why shouldn't he say he is giving his salary to charity? I gather he and his family do a great deal for charity, most of which is probably not reported. Why not celebrate it and hope it encourages other similarly wealthy stars to do the same?

Cherriesarelovely Sat 02-Feb-13 08:52:00

Agree with you though periwinkle aboutnot envying their lifestyle.

Sugarice Sat 02-Feb-13 08:53:59

Beckham is a very shrewd chap.

He is planning his career beyond the next few years, I reckon he'll be a football 'suit' within FIFA or UEFA within the next decade.

What he might lack in intellectual skills he makes up for in charm and diplomacy.

TheFallenNinja Sat 02-Feb-13 09:03:42

YABU. He is a tool for sure, but, he's our tool.

I think he should get a Knighthood (when he can spell it).

Can he not be my tool? Ta. grin

HecateWhoopass Sat 02-Feb-13 09:35:18

nobody gives anything without there being a benefit to them for doing it. Nothing. Ever. It may be something tangible or simply a feeling of pride in yourself, but there will ALWAYS be something in it for you.

So yes, I bet he is doing it for some or maybe all of the reasons you suggest.

The charity gets the money and he gets your list of stuff.

It's a win win.

Which is the best kind of outcome.

Cherriesarelovely Sat 02-Feb-13 09:37:01

I completely agree Hectate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now