Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To uninvite Stephen Fry from my dinner party and invite Gary Barlow instead?

(99 Posts)
chicaguapa Fri 01-Feb-13 13:20:21

I have Stephen Fry, Eddie Izzard and Chris Evans on my guest list. But I really want Gary Barlow to come too, so I've decided that Stephen has to go. AIBU? confused

BeckAndCall Fri 01-Feb-13 14:20:00

No, no, no.

Uninvite the lot and have a tete a deux with David Beckham don't tell Posh

NaicePig Fri 01-Feb-13 14:23:39

Didn't Gary Barlowe once eat too many baked potatoes and resultantly run over his own head?

Not my idea of suitable post-dinner etiquette.

NaicePig Fri 01-Feb-13 14:24:56

NOT that I would serve a baked potato at MY dinner party (guests to which would incidentally include Sue Perkins, Bill Bailey and David Attenborough). Dauphinoise, dahling.

Maryz Fri 01-Feb-13 14:34:09

David Beckham, noooo [bleurgh]

He's just too, erm, clean-cut. Like Jamie Rednapp. I wouldn't like to spend time with a man who spent more time primping himself and applying lotions and potions than I do. I like a bit of rough for eye-candy

Maryz Fri 01-Feb-13 14:34:49

Oh, I know who I would really like - Clare Balding!

Foggles Fri 01-Feb-13 14:36:51

Eddie's coming to my party instead so you don't need to worry - you'll have a spare seat.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 01-Feb-13 14:49:22

You could have let me down gently Nancy.

Naicepig That was Brian Harvey! That is possibly my favourite celebrity story of all time.

SirBoobAlot Fri 01-Feb-13 15:09:17

Stephen and Eddie can come to mine. You have keep the other two you weirdo. Hugh Laurie will also be attending.

KurriKurri Fri 01-Feb-13 15:40:31

Four chairs = Stephen, Eddie, Sue perkins, Clare Balding, and you on Eddie's lap. Gary is on piano with a plate of buffet food.

Oh dear, there's no room for Chris, - shame.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 01-Feb-13 16:22:03

It's tricky to get low carb buffet food. Poor Gazza.

Geranium3 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:25:38

I'm just gonna invite gary!!!!

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 01-Feb-13 17:18:50

Do the guests have to be alive?

KurriKurri Fri 01-Feb-13 17:30:05

If they were dead, Gary could play one of his decompositions for them. grin

MardyBraWouldDoEddieANDHully Sat 02-Feb-13 00:11:21

Obviously I'm not talking corpses. Just whether we could have historical figures at a notional party.

VictorAndBarry Sat 02-Feb-13 07:49:38

David tennant
Dara O'Brian
Clare Bading
Sandi Toskvig
Hugh Jackman
Me

Sounds like a great dinner party!

VictorAndBarry Sat 02-Feb-13 07:51:05

Ps I love how OP s struggling to dece as she only as four chairs at her entirely fantasy and fictional party grin

VictorAndBarry Sat 02-Feb-13 07:51:20

Dece = decide

Lostonthemoors Sat 02-Feb-13 07:52:15

I would have:

Sandy Toksvig
James Naughtie
Tony Benn
Anthony Julius
Hugh Grant
AS Byatt

PrincessOfChina Sat 02-Feb-13 07:52:52

YABU. Rampant Tory and dull as fuck? No thanks!

And that from the biggest Take That fan ever. There's a time and a place and all that!

Lostonthemoors Sat 02-Feb-13 07:53:03

Just started reading thread - now I want Claire Balding too!!

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 02-Feb-13 07:53:24

Can't you have a buffet? Then you could invite more people!!

Lostonthemoors Sat 02-Feb-13 07:54:30

Ooh and Victoria Wood!

DowntonTrout Sat 02-Feb-13 07:56:43

I'm going to add Gary Barlow to my dinner party guest list seeing as one of mine can't make it. Well he died.

It would have been Michael Winner.

Gary can tinkle the ivories after dinner and we'll all sing along to Back for Good.

legalalien Sat 02-Feb-13 08:03:13

Maryz that's weird, all your guests are on my constantly being updated fantasy dinner party list. I am also inviting Alexander mccall smith, and maybe David bellamy. Perhaps you would like to join us?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now