Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To uninvite Stephen Fry from my dinner party and invite Gary Barlow instead?

(99 Posts)
chicaguapa Fri 01-Feb-13 13:20:21

I have Stephen Fry, Eddie Izzard and Chris Evans on my guest list. But I really want Gary Barlow to come too, so I've decided that Stephen has to go. AIBU? confused

Gary Barlow. He's a shortarse, tax evading Cameron-supporter. Never going to make it to my dinner party (which should be 6 people of course)

Id definitely second the Ryan Gosling invitation - he's actually very clever as well as being utterly delicious.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 01-Feb-13 13:41:20

I might have to have a series of dinner parties maybe.

If I have to stick to three, I would have Dara O'Briain, Stephen Fry and, erm, John Bishop for a bit of light relief.

Yep. That'll do.

chicaguapa Fri 01-Feb-13 13:41:47

Awww! But I think Gary Barlow is quite funny.

Graham Norton is a possibility. I'd probably uninvite Chris Evans for him.

You just don't know what they're like when they're not performing, do you? Like Rhod Gilbert. I find him side-splittingly funny, but can imagine him being a bit of a miserable git over dinner.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 01-Feb-13 13:41:49

I'd like Victoria Coren and David Mitchell. Not sure if the third would be Sue Perkins, Jo Brand or Eddie Izzard.

Nancy66 Fri 01-Feb-13 13:42:18

It would be very hard to cater for. Eddie Izzard is vegan and Gary Barlow doesn't eat carbs....

(I really wish I knew more about the conflict in Mali than this sort of thing)

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 01-Feb-13 13:42:34

Oh, shit, I forgot Eddie. He can be third.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 01-Feb-13 13:43:07

I could have an intellectual dinner party, a commedian dinner party, a sportsman (yes man grin) dinner party and a few other themes, maybe <ponders>

chicaguapa Fri 01-Feb-13 13:43:10

I think DH would think he'd died and gone to heaven if he had Stephen Fry, Dara O'Brien and Brian Cox for dinner. And I'd be bored rigid and wished I'd invited Gary Barlow.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 01-Feb-13 13:43:44

Redmayne that is. I could gaze at his freckles during lulls in the conversation.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 01-Feb-13 13:43:53

Bloody hell commedian confused, comedian.

manicbmc Fri 01-Feb-13 13:45:02

Brian Cox always comes across as very interesting especially his tales of being in D:Ream which sounds like a blast.

chicaguapa Fri 01-Feb-13 13:45:07

Oh, I don't cook for vegetarians or vegans. So that's Eddie uninvited. I can cope with turning up dressed as a woman, but not being fussy about food. grin

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 01-Feb-13 13:45:46

<off to google Eddie Redmayne confused>

NeedsABigCar Fri 01-Feb-13 13:48:47

and Gary Barlow doesn't eat carbs....

Am I the only one who read that as Gary Barlow doesn't eat crabs? A dinner party without crabs shouldn't be too hard to cater for surely. grin

chicaguapa Fri 01-Feb-13 13:49:26

I like the idea of a themed dinner party. You'd have to have the comedian one last though or you'd be comparing the fun of that with all the others.

I do think Eddie R is gorgeous but I'm afraid they'd have to bring more to the table than looking good. I can stare at a picture of them on the computer. I want stimulating conversation.

Nancy66 Fri 01-Feb-13 13:50:21

I know someone who dated Eddie Redmayne for two years.

Brian Cox, the physicist guy was in DReam, seriously?

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 01-Feb-13 13:57:59

Nancy. PLEASE tell me she was a frumpy middle-aged crone. let me think I would stand a chance...

Nancy66 Fri 01-Feb-13 14:02:30

Mardy - sadly she is a very beautiful ex Cambridge Dr.

chicaguapa Fri 01-Feb-13 14:09:07

Nancy You could have lied! wink

MammaTJ Fri 01-Feb-13 14:10:22

Get rid of Chris, keep Stephen and Gary and Eddie.

Nancy66 Fri 01-Feb-13 14:13:40

i think Stephen would be a conversation hogger. I can also see him having those bad table manners that posh people sometimes have - where he'll just reach across the table rather than ask for something to be passed.

shockers Fri 01-Feb-13 14:17:38

Gary Barlow would be dull I think. I'm not sure that I could cope with Prof Cox either.

I'd quite like Victoria Wood, Martin Clunes, Julia Bradbury and Leo Moran (Saw Doctors) and possibly Noel Fielding, although I'm not sure if I should save him for another day.

I'm probably thinking about this too much...

HellonHeels Fri 01-Feb-13 14:19:04

For a man who doesn't eat carbs, GB is a bit of a chunker. I thought he had the look of someone who'd enjoy a good dinner. I wouldnt invite him to dinner simply due to food faddishness if that's true. He's also dull and a boring Tory (as opposed to an amusing Tory)

shockers Fri 01-Feb-13 14:19:12

Ok... I'm saving Noel for another evening and I'll stick Chris Evans in with that lot.

That is my final guest list... better go and pick up the wine grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now