To keep using the wheelie bin my neighbour has stole from me

(89 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Fri 01-Feb-13 12:32:27

Hers went missing, bins are in a communal area as its flats, she has taken mine pulled it up to her house and put it behind her car.

Only I can see my number in huge letters staring at me.

Buzzardbird Mon 04-Feb-13 12:50:50

Gawd, reminds me of beach towel lottery on holiday where they fine you if you lose your towel so there is a constant theft of newbie towels when people head home.

stayed in some classy places me.

EggsMichelle Mon 04-Feb-13 12:32:54

My neighbours had our bin for 6wks shock my DH went into their garden in the end to retrieve it... It was very full and very smelly!

Bluemonkeyspots Mon 04-Feb-13 12:22:02

My lovely neighbours were given a new bin which dh accidentally pulled round our garden one bin day leaving our smelly old one further up the road.

They sent round their 3 rugby player sons to retrieve it and ask that the mix up did not happen again confused

I always thought they were normal up till that point, what is it about bins that sends everyone crazy?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 04-Feb-13 12:15:19

Did she take your bin?

MariusEarlobe Mon 04-Feb-13 12:11:25

Well she moved out this morning so maybe I am really scary!

Well done for Standing up to her.

We've had this too my childish bastard of a neighbour wrote his number on ours and his and then put manky milk cartons in the bottom of both. We took one back but it stinks to high heaven now. Still makes me angry

quietbatperson Sun 03-Feb-13 20:57:32

Montage! grin

shutthebloodydoor Sun 03-Feb-13 20:46:51

Ha ha same happened to me in my old house!
I actually lived in a gated area and had to leave bin out side gate near other houses.

Went to pull bin back in when come back from work - not there.
Wandered around back of the other houses and there was MY bin with the numbers half assed scrapped off and new numbers put over!! - so i dragged back to mine.

Cue angry dressing gown woman banging on my door (why she knew the code to get in MY gated area i dont know) cigerette waving in hand telling me I have stolen HER bin. I casually pointed out it was mine and she hadnt even been bothered to scrap numbers of properly. There was a tense 30 seconds of staring out then she about turned and marched off! the fucking cheek of it!

How exciting bin wars!! grin

montage Sun 03-Feb-13 19:45:14

Incidentally OP, I learnt on mumsnet that if you paint "JESUS LOVES YOU" on the bin, no-one nicks it grin

montage Sun 03-Feb-13 19:43:59

Do missing bins really travel to Ireland? That explains a lot.

In the part of Ireland I live in we have yearly bin charges of over 100 euro, and have to buy bin tags of at 8 euro every time we put out a black (actual rubbish) bin as well. They like to make you pay for things twice here.

Then we have to pay for a new bin if our bins go missing too.

I knew this had led to a black market trade in bin tags (people stealing other peoples tags) so black market bins are the next step i suppose.

oldraver Sun 03-Feb-13 19:36:28

Get your bin back on bin day and paint your numbers on the bottom by the wheels, where no one will usually see it, so if there is ever a dispute you can say this is mine

brighthair Sun 03-Feb-13 19:08:57

I never know what bin is meant to go out when grin
Luckily my retired neighbours do and put mine out and bring it back in

Ah the joys of wheelie bin warfare.

When I still lived in my flat I found someone had put a shopping trolley filled with bricks in one of our communal ones.

OkayHazel Sun 03-Feb-13 16:45:39

RedToothBrush All the bins in Salford are bright pink for this reason too!

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Sun 03-Feb-13 14:18:50

Youcan buy locks for wheelie bins.

mademred Sun 03-Feb-13 12:22:44

Somebody from the flats near us started filling our bin and the neighbours bin with their rubbish.nxt doors had a duvet, pillow and wallpaper among other stuff put in theirs.my dh went thru the rubbish in ours and found meths bottles with the name on of whoever was filling our bins! Thick or wat! We don't know how long they had been using them we just thought we had more rubbish than we realised, and kept buying the councils sacks to put beside! As it is we have to rent the extra bin from the council at a cost of £40 per year! Some people are so cheeky.wish id have thought of it.

bedmonster Sun 03-Feb-13 11:53:14

Actually Chanie, my mum told me yesterday that it was £75 to get her new bin! shock SEVENTY FIVE QUID!!!

chanie44 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:41:15

Gosh, I never realised that some local authorities charged. I assumed they were free. But them again, my local authority don't even provide you with compost able liners for your food recycling

Foggles Fri 01-Feb-13 16:41:27

Yes - we have a large black bin for standard waste, a blue one for paper, a brown one for bottles and tins and a large green one for garden waste.

Blue & Black go out one week, Large Green & Brown the next.

We then have a midi green bin for food waste and a teeny green bin to put the food waste indoors. You then transfer it from the teeny green bin to the midi green bin.

However, if you want, you can put the food waste in the large green bin- ie. direct from teeny green bin to the large green bin and making the midi green bin redundant.

However some more, the midi green bin can be placed outside weekly but the large green bin can only go out fortnightly so you have to be on your toes.

All of this is documented on a sheet that the council provides us with. I ignore the sheet and just watch what the retired folk do because they always have it right. grin

apostropheuse Fri 01-Feb-13 15:45:44

I am the proud owner of not one, but FOUR wheelie bins. Our Council like to spend money on bins. All full height, big bloody wheelie bins.

I have green for glass; brown for garden waste; turquoise for recycling materials and black for any other household waste. Ah, but wait, it's not that simple!

We also have two boxes for food waste - one for keeping inside the house and one for emptying said inside box into on the outside. Special plastic bags supplied for the purpose.

I just love paying my Council Tax.

Foggles Fri 01-Feb-13 15:13:40

Wheelie bins were used as barricades & for carrying away loot during the Manchester/Salford riots of 2011.

You never had all this trouble when it was the old metal dustbins. grin

PPT Fri 01-Feb-13 15:08:45

I'm a nice person (this thread has reminded me!) last year the bin men went a little crazy and didn't pop bins back outside the correct doors... I ended up with 2 black recycling tubs. I dropped about 20 neighbours a note saying we'd got an additional one! Owner came and reclaimed it- but gave me a bit of a scathing look! (Useless story... But goes away shining halo!)

RedToothBrush Fri 01-Feb-13 15:00:00

Where do missing bins go?

Ireland. Apparently.

Liverpool City Council made all their bins bright purple to stop the problem. There was an organised bin nicking racket going on.

diddl Fri 01-Feb-13 14:30:54

Where do missing bins go to?

Why do people take them?

Ours arrive pre addressed.

(Am in Germany)

We also get a sheet-specific to us, of when each bin needs to go out.

Foggles Fri 01-Feb-13 14:21:36

MrsBucket your poor wheelie bin sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now