about nursery taking pictures

(40 Posts)
mamamibbo Fri 01-Feb-13 10:53:08

theres a kid at nursery that they are not allowed to take pictures of at all, so he's not in any of the ones on the wall, hes not in pictures in his achievment book that you take when they finish, his pictures not in the book the nursery nurses have that gives the child details like who can pick him up, allergies etc and his name in the stand at the front that they turn around to show there pictures, to teach them which is their name doesnt have a picture in it

i cant see why? i could understand saying no to pictures on the website/newsletter/prospectus but why not in the nursery where the child is anyway? they took a photo of some children with permission doing an activity then had to delete it because that child was on it in the background

Nanny0gg Fri 01-Feb-13 12:53:15

The OP only asked...

KC225 Fri 01-Feb-13 12:59:16

Friends who adopted children from out of the area and were told by authorities to avoid area from where the children came from as the adoption was contested and the children would have been recognised. They were also told to avoid 'public' photographs. So as the others said child protection issues

Floggingmolly Fri 01-Feb-13 13:01:30

How on earth do you have access to his achievement book and the one containing his personal details? Why don't you wind your neck in and stop stalking the child?

BiteTheTopsOffIcedGems Fri 01-Feb-13 13:33:16

They don't have to say why the don't want photos up. They don't have to explain to you. You should just respect it really.
Don't know why you are so annoyed about it.

BiteTheTopsOffIcedGems Fri 01-Feb-13 13:34:12

*they

CatsRule Fri 01-Feb-13 14:14:48

Allowing pictures to be taken was one of the permissions that I had to give for my ds going in to nursery. They did say they would only be used internally on their walls and we would be given them in his progress book at the end of term. We also got a Christmas card that he made with his pic on it. I didn't see any harm in allowing it.

What I did find strange was that I had to give permission to allow them to act in an emergency, i.e. to usr first aid or call medics. I can't think of any good reason for anyone to deny their child first aid or access to medical professionals if required.

TeeBee Fri 01-Feb-13 14:20:57

CatsRule, because some religions forbid certain medical procedures. There could also be other reasons, such as allergies or psychological issues surrounding certain medical procedures. So best to ask everyone to make sure there is not issue in the first.

gordyslovesheep Fri 01-Feb-13 14:28:42

well i stand corrected ...non of my Muslim friends do this ...my understanding was this applied to religious icons only

still no idea what it has to do with Polish culture!

CatsRule Fri 01-Feb-13 14:38:59

I understand re allergies etc and to a degree the religious side too. The forms I had to fill in were very comprehensive re medical issues.

I just can't imagine telling them to wait half an hour till I got there before calling an ambulance etc...I mean for obvious life saving things why deny that.

Each to their own I guess!

An adopted member of my family had similar rules when she was fostered after an incident. Her biological mother went into her nursery pretending to be a member of my family and tried to take her home. She knew that she was there as she had gone into every nursery in the area to look around and saw the child's photo on the wall. This is a woman who broke her baby's legs so many times in the eight months she had her that they break with the slightest fall eight years later.

So imo, yabvu.

andubelievedthat Fri 01-Feb-13 16:52:43

does that kid cast a shadow?(like, you would notice something like that)

freddiefrog Fri 01-Feb-13 16:57:55

We fostered a child last year who wasn't allowed to be photographed for child protection issues - their family were not allowed to know where they were living or what school they went to. Sadly, the child had to be moved on after someone decided the no-photo rule didn't apply to them and posted school play pics on Facebook

freddie sad

Groovee Fri 01-Feb-13 18:16:02

There are so many reasons why parents don't want their child photographed. Nursery staff are only following what is right for that child.

CloudsAndTrees Fri 01-Feb-13 18:28:37

You have to remember that the image won't just be in a nursery where the child is anyway. It will also be on someone's computer, and could go anywhere from there. I'm not saying the staff can't be trusted, but sometimes things happen that are out of their control. There was that whole Sparklebox thing a few years back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now